Garmin Pilot 2.1.0 Update

Learning Curve? Reliabilty? Should I still keep all my charts at hand?:wink2:
I am rather savvy on Droids & Puters, just want to get an idea as to what to expect. I am old school, that I like to have my charts at hand. They always woik:)

Last edited:
Learning Curve? Reliabilty? Should I still keep all my charts at hand?:wink2:
I am rather savvy on Droids & Puters, just want to get an idea as to what to expect. I am old school, that I like to have my charts at hand. They always woik:)

I miss the paper days too. That is, I miss drinking a 6 pack while I updated 4 Jepp chart books with the updates.

I miss the paper days too. That is, I miss drinking a 6 pack while I updated 4 Jepp chart books with the updates.

You got through four in only a six-pack? That's pretty quick....or you're a slow drinker! :lol:

You got through four in only a six-pack? That's pretty quick....or you're a slow drinker! :lol:

I had to pace myself. I still had to do the enroute charts.

Hi Jay, & all U Nexus7 guys...
Merry Christmas to all!
Getting my BD present this week... N7 32gb... Never used garmin pilot at all on my galaxyIII, & will set up on the Nexus. Any place i can get some good directives on set up & use? I'm just over 1900hrs. VFR. I'm based at KFXE, S. florida, so lots of trips to the Bahamas are my usual flights;)...
Any good directions are appreciated.
Capt.Gary

It's extremely intuitive. You won't need anything beyond the "help" screens.

As for reliability, I have had occasional freezes. A simple close/open always fixes things, but I'm hoping the latest update has resolved whatever was causing the freezes.

If I could ever get a couple of hours to go flying, I would know by now. :banghead:

Jay,
I find excuses to go... anywhere, as long as its with altitude:)
What vesrion of JellyBean is your Nexus running? I understand that there are some issues with 4.2
Looking foward to being digital in the plane. Do you still carry paper?

Jay,
I find excuses to go... anywhere, as long as its with altitude:)
What vesrion of JellyBean is your Nexus running? I understand that there are some issues with 4.2
Looking foward to being digital in the plane. Do you still carry paper?

*sigh* My plane has sat, forlorn and lonesome, for almost a month. With the holidays, and our son's graduation, and remodeling the hotel, and...this is the longest I've been ground-bound since I earned my ticket in '94. :(

I'm running Jelly Bean 4.2. There were some initial problems with uncommanded rebooting, but that has been worked out as all the apps were updated to handle the new OS. It's been stable for a couple of weeks, now.

I keep an old sectional in a seat back (where my since-sold iPad once lived!) -- just in case. :D

Hi Jay,
As a newer member here, I want to thank you for you're being here. your knowdlege has put me in a good direction. I have the Nexus set up now & am working with GarminPilot.
I respect that you are doing what life requires at this time. Thats the sign of a dedicated man. Dedication to family & Biz is keeping me grounded a bit too... Trying to save a life in my family & working to keep a growth going in my company, Certified Coffee Service.
These things feed our passion for life & flying, of course. A healthy New Year to you, your family & all other members here! :thumbsup:

Hi Jay,
As a newer member here, I want to thank you for you're being here. your knowdlege has put me in a good direction. I have the Nexus set up now & am working with GarminPilot.
I respect that you are doing what life requires at this time. Thats the sign of a dedicated man. Dedication to family & Biz is keeping me grounded a bit too... Trying to save a life in my family & working to keep a growth going in my company, Certified Coffee Service.
These things feed our passion for life & flying, of course. A healthy New Year to you, your family & all other members here! :thumbsup:

Got a link to your business website?

Sir, Been following your nexus 7 threads, am interested in using it and would like to know what you need to use the gps in the airplane? Do you need wifi or 3g enabled/access for the internal Nexus GPS to work? Thanks...jvb
Garmin just released this automatic update for the Pilot software on Android.

Looks like the map screen is improved, with a "Direct to" option that no longer requires switching to the Home screen. And the Home screen is now accessed by touching "Home" instead of an icon that looked sorta like a house. This will be easier to see in turbulence.

It says they've added choices for the weather screen, and a host of other menu enhancements. We will have to wait for our next flight to play with those features, and to see if the flight planning "rubber banding" glitch has been fixed.

Also, there's now a more obvious switch for turning a remote Bluetooth GPS (such as the GDL-39 ADS-B receiver) on and off. That was always weird, trying to determine whether the app was using the internal Nexus 7 GPS, or the external one. (Not that it seemed to matter -- both worked fine.)

It's nice to see Garmin ramping up this software so quickly! It's really become much more polished in just a couple of months.

Edit: Yup, rubber banding a new graphical course works properly again. A previous update had effed that up -- nice to have it back!

Sent from my Nexus 7

Sir, Been following your nexus 7 threads, am interested in using it and would like to know what you need to use the gps in the airplane? Do you need wifi or 3g enabled/access for the internal Nexus GPS to work? Thanks...jvb

Nope, no need to buy the 3G Nexus 7. Unlike the iPad, all Nexus 7s come with integrated GPS. ;)

Thanks. Enjoyed the many months of IPAD vs NEXUS 7 exchanges. Somewhat like some of the exchanges on gun boards, when talking about calibers, brands, etc...jvb

Thanks. Enjoyed the many months of IPAD vs NEXUS 7 exchanges. Somewhat like some of the exchanges on gun boards, when talking about calibers, brands, etc...jvb

Heh, yup. See: "Keltec PF9 vs. Ruger LC9"... :D

Back