Garmin or Avidyne with Dynon

JuggyJet

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JuggyJet
I am thinking about upgrading my panel with Dynon HDX. And, I am going to replace 430s. Should I match the Dynon panel with Garmin or Avidyne IFR navigator? I’ve heard that Avidyne is more intuitive to an airline guy like myself.

I am thinking about upgrading my panel with Dynon HDX. And, I am going to replace 430s. Should I match the Dynon panel with Garmin or Avidyne IFR navigator? I’ve heard that Avidyne is more intuitive to an airline guy like myself.
I've heard that as well. The reason is that Garmin started as a GPS navigator. Avidyne was designed to be an FMS from the beginning. That may have been a real difference earlier, but I don't think it's as relevant now.

Both have almost identical functionality, but they go about it in slightly different ways. @Mongoose Aviator' recommendation to get the apps is a good one. You might also look at a few videos. I did a series of 3 videos comparing Avidyne and Garmin. They are each less than 10 minutes long and each covers one scenario. Might be enough to give you some idea if their different approaches.

BTW, I love the HDX. That aside, personally, having already decided to go non-Garmin for your glass integration, why not go all the way?

Thank you very much! I will try those simulators and watch videos. Idea of replacing two 430s was suggested by my friend just a few days ago. I now gotta lots of homework to do…:eek2:

All Avidyne navigators have an app that mirrors the screen on any size iPad, that you can mount where you like it. To me, that is the single biggest advantage over Garmin.

Thank you very much! I will try those simulators and watch videos. Idea of replacing two 430s was suggested by my friend just a few days ago. I now gotta lots of homework to do…:eek2:
I mentioned mine because they are short and do direct comparisons. But both Garmin and Avidyne have their own excellent training courses online. I typically assign one or more of them when I work with transitioning pilots. If you are at my YouTube site anyway, I collected links to them in playlists,

They apparently agree with you, my avionics shop told me they moved the manufacturing back to USA.
There are several reasons some electronics manufacturers are leaving China.

1. The govt. refusal to buy western Covid vaccine and the lock downs.
2. Theft of intellectual property by the govt.
3. China is no longer the lowest cost producer.
4. Drought has caused disruptions to their hydro power grid.
5. Quality issues.

I mentioned mine because they are short and do direct comparisons. But both Garmin and Avidyne have their own excellent training courses online. I typically assign one or more of them when I work with transitioning pilots. If you are at my YouTube site anyway, I collected links to them in playlists,

Just watched those helpful videos. Thank you. I wish you were in my neighborhood, I ccould listen to you all day!

I have a Dynon HDX with a GNC355. I've decided to upgrade to a larger screen than the 355 with a Nav radio. I looked at the IFD540 and the GTN750, both used. When I talked to Dynon the one thing that I recall them mentioning was that the Dynon can push a radio frequency from the HDX to the IFD but not the GTN. I've got the Dynon radio and used that as a comm, so not pushing to the GNC has never been an issue for me.

I went ahead and bought a used GTN750 from Sarasota avionics that was traded in for a GTN750xi. It's not yet installed. It will be going in, hopefully, middle of the month when Dynon ships the 182 autopilot kit (fingers crossed!!!).

If I was upgrading a panel completely I'm not sure I would worry about the IFD sliding into the 430 slot. I imagine they are going to be significantly rewiring everything anyway. Try out the trainers for each and see which one you like better. Then talk to your installer and see if the IFD install saves any money. Then determine what the value is to you. If you're really spending all that money to upgrade a panel then I personally think a few grand extra to get what you prefer is money well spent.

What certified aviation equipment did they produce outside the US?
They apparently agree with you, my avionics shop told me they moved the manufacturing back to USA.

Garmin realized with the supply chain disruptions they lose more money than save with foreign manufacturing. Plus pressure from the US Gov and Garmin's own OEM customers. The math and practically no longer worked.

I have the Avidyne 440, and have been very pleased with it. The difference in install burden, when replacing a Garmin 430, is very substantial - a savings of several thousand dollars when you choose the Avidyne.

edit:

Nothing there bagging on Garmin - good products, outstanding innovation.

There is an STC for the Dynon autopilot for the PA-34-200T Seneca II, and PA-34-220T Seneca III, IV, and V models. Seneca II and up).

The pic, with dual IFDs, is from the Dynon site. There's another with a Garmin 650.

View attachment 116257

I’m not familiar with Dynons interface, but if you have to use the buttons on the glass display that panel may have some usability issues. Most of us fly with the left hand, you’ll have to use your right in such a way to avoid the yoke, either by reaching over or under. Imagine doing this while manipulating the yoke or if it’s choppy or turbulent.
We rarely interact with a 6-pack but glass you do and want to keep this in mind if redoing your panel.

I’m not familiar with Dynons interface, but if you have to use the buttons on the glass display that panel may have some usability issues. Most of us fly with the left hand, you’ll have to use your right in such a way to avoid the yoke, either by reaching over or under. Imagine doing this while manipulating the yoke or if it’s choppy or turbulent.
We rarely interact with a 6-pack but glass you do and want to keep this in mind if redoing your panel.
You mean like with that silly G1000 thing that went nowhere? :D

Everything is also accessible via the touch screen.
upload_2023-4-2_9-55-43.png

Last edited:
You mean like with that silly G1000 thing that went nowhere? :D

Everything is also accessible via the touch screen.
View attachment 116263

The difference is G1000s were installed by the manufacturer and there wasn’t any competition. I trained on the G1000, most of the controls often used are higher up, so easier to access as oppose to the buttons at the bottom. And there was additional duplicate buttons on the MFD for right hand buttons that would require letting go of the yoke:

cf637028a3eb7cd9cf691a7bcd944df5.jpg

But I do remember the awkward movements on occasion (maybe working the timer? It’s been a while).

Anyhow, I remembered I didn’t like it at the time and it stuck with me.

At least in the Cessnas they mounted them high up. Just something for those thinking to upgrade to glass to consider.

I have the same complaint about G5 and other fancy HSIs, the HSI is usually just above the yoke.

The difference is G1000s were installed by the manufacturer and there wasn’t any competition. I trained on the G1000, most of the controls often used are higher up, so easier to access as oppose to the buttons at the bottom. And there was additional duplicate buttons on the MFD for right hand buttons that would require letting go of the yoke:

But I do remember the awkward movements on occasion (maybe working the timer? It’s been a while).

Anyhow, I remembered I didn’t like it at the time and it stuck with me.

At least in the Cessnas they mounted them high up. Just something for those thinking to upgrade to glass to consider.

I have the same complaint about G5 and other fancy HSIs, the HSI is usually just above the yoke.
I guess it's a bigger deal for some than for others. Personally, I've never noticed any more interference with any of the PFDs I've flown than with changing the heading bug or adjusting for precession on a traditional vacuum DG or unslaved HSI.

I don't notice it being an issue for myself on the Dynon. Most of the time I use the touchscreen and only use the buttons to toggle a main screen. Easier to hit a button than the screen in chop. I like being able to use both as opposed to strictly touch.

Piper Seneca :)
Jealous. You got the option for the Dynon autopilot being integrated into the hdx. I would strongly consider 1- 440 and one 540/550. Nothing to rewire for the waas 430/440 swap. Similar to the Dynon Seneca having a 440 and 540. Maybe not 3 displays, but I do like having 1 display just for engine monitoring. And that's with only one engine with the pa32. Can still toggle plates on the second. Split screen works, but I really do prefer a full screen. Less clutter.

I've not had any issues at all with ours in usability in the Archer. Combined with the Avidyne 540 and a AeroCruz (nee Trutrack) we've been very pleased. Not really looking forward to going back to a Garmin 530 in my new club but leaving the area.

The DA10 though is outdated and really needs to go as a backup AI and Dynon keeps promising but no results.

0FCh5gV.jpg

I've not had any issues at all with ours in usability in the Archer. Combined with the Avidyne 540 and a AeroCruz (nee Trutrack) we've been very pleased. Not really looking forward to going back to a Garmin 530 in my new club but leaving the area.

The DA10 though is outdated and really needs to go as a backup AI and Dynon keeps promising but no results.

0FCh5gV.jpg

Agree on the DA10.

Do you reach under or over or around the yoke to use buttons?

I have never seen or heard anything from Dynon about a replacement of the D10a. Just speculation/wishful thinking from the outside. But the fact the D10a isnt even available to the experimental crowd anymore should tell you that hopefully something is in the works. And the "pocket panel" ain't it.

I honestly don't know how I hit the buttons when I need to. It's that much of a non issue.

The Dynon HDX cross-fills to the Avidyne, it does NOT cross-fill to the Garmin. The Dynon can be installed by anyone, Garmin has to be installed at an authorized dealer. To me, these made a difference, to some it does not.

The Dynon HDX cross-fills to the Avidyne, it does NOT cross-fill to the Garmin. The Dynon can be installed by anyone, Garmin has to be installed at an authorized dealer. To me, these made a difference, to some it does not.

971d6de13cef055407636d8cd1bf8bd5.jpg

3572dde95f9aab07305e66ff9f813aa3.jpg

Took me 2 days to get to this point: full Avidyne install from scratch (no previous Garmin rack), audio panel, 3 monitor install (engine monitor in plane), ADSB, transponder and com2. Notice the traffic is shown, and the compass rose / magenta bug show the GPS / NAV are charting each other up with the Dynon. Autopilot was separate.

2 days. Long ones, but that’s what it took.

I’ll gladly install Avidynes and Dynons for people every day all day in between painting airplanes.
If brand G is your thing, that’s fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back