Garmin MX20

stevenhmiller

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve's Archer
I sold my plane and have a working Garmin MX20 sitting in a box. The avionics shop did some wiring work on my GNS480 and when they turned everything on, there was a poof of smoke from the MX20. they pulled the unit and found that a screw at the back end below the port had touched the positive side of where it is soldered to the board internally. They did a quick check of the MX20 with the cover off and it is working fine. They put a piece of rubberized tape over the screw inside so it doesn't come in contact again. Has a little smell of smoke, but works fine.

Asking $700 for it. Includes the data card and tray. That's the shipped price to anywhere in the lower 48.

Last edited:
Disregarding the banter in this thread for a moment I would like to add one comment based on personal experience with the MX20 I had in my Mooney. The MX20 is no longer supported by Garmin. At all. Therefore if anything big or small in the unit fails, it becomes a brick. We had to go to the GMX200 (which is a wonderful MFD) because of this position by Garmin. Just go into buying a used MX20 with your eyes open.

Disregarding the banter in this thread for a moment I would like to add one comment based on personal experience with the MX20 I had in my Mooney. The MX20 is no longer supported by Garmin. At all. Therefore if anything big or small in the unit fails, it becomes a brick. We had to go to the GMX200 (which is a wonderful MFD) because of this position by Garmin. Just go into buying a used MX20 with your eyes open.
I don't disagree with you. You'll pay dearly for the GMX200 though. With the MX20, you do take a risk as Garmin doesn't support it any longer. But, if you know what you are doing, having a couple of shells for parts isn't a bad idea. Mine works, just don't need it any longer.

You're right. At the time I had to do the replacement Garmin was giving a very modest trade-in to upgrade from an inop MX20 to the GMX200. I really liked the MX20, so didn't have much choice. A working MX20 might be a good deal for someone. The purchaser would just have to understand the risk. To get the most use out of it though you'd also need a GDL69 or 69A and pay for XM Aviation weather.

My friend has an MX20 above his 430. It's a great addition because of its larger screen. Since Garmin isn't supporting it, this one would be great for someone that needs a replacement.

My friend has an MX20 above his 430. It's a great addition because of its larger screen. Since Garmin isn't supporting it, this one would be great for someone that needs a replacement.
Totally agree. I two as backups, sitting on the shelf in the hangar. One went south on me with a white screen. I simply pulled it, slid this one in the tray and made a log entry. Simple as that. I didn't lose any flying time at all. I had it sitting in wait just for this type of thing to happen. Why wait for yours to go south and spend time looking for one and losing flying time. Buy it and keep it on the shelf.

You're right. At the time I had to do the replacement Garmin was giving a very modest trade-in to upgrade from an inop MX20 to the GMX200. I really liked the MX20, so didn't have much choice. A working MX20 might be a good deal for someone. The purchaser would just have to understand the risk. To get the most use out of it though you'd also need a GDL69 or 69A and pay for XM Aviation weather.

Or an ads-b unit that supports it. Mine works great with my Navworx, and I have a spare MX20 on the shelf.

The GMX is sweet too. much better graphics, a lot faster and has the zoom knob.

Still for sale. Here are some pictures of it before taking it out of the panel.
20160804_120703.jpg
20151227_093032.jpg
20150818_122450.jpg

Available. $700 is a good price for this unit. They're going for 3x more on ebay, and shells that are for parts only are going for $1000. Plus, I'm paying shipping.

My offer still stands even thou the unit isnt serviced anymore and it will cost more to install the unit so its ur call but this is my last time im offering

My offer still stands even thou the unit isnt serviced anymore and it will cost more to install the unit so its ur call but this is my last time im offering
Thanks, I'll list it on ebay. I had 3 units for backups. This is my last. I sold the other 2 non-working units for $700 each. This one works, so I'm fine with not letting it go for $450.

...and someone got a deal!

Back