Garmin GTN 750

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
Anyone have experience with the GTN 750?? Looks like a nice hunk of equipment, and, (surprise surprise), The folks in the avionics shop swear by it and are ready to sell me one. what's the skinny from those of you with time behind it???

ipads seem to be much more popular with this group.:D

Anyone have experience with the GTN 750?? Looks like a nice hunk of equipment, and, (surprise surprise), The folks in the avionics shop swear by it and are ready to sell me one. what's the skinny from those of you with time behind it???

I replaced my dual 530s about a year ago with dual GTN 750s. So far, I have been very happy with the change.

The unit is very intuitive and easy to use. It has great functionality and the screen is large and very sharp. Some of the functions require a couple more button pushes to find and execute, but after some time it is not noticeable. Also, I really like the airways capabilities and there are a number of shortcuts in the system that you learn after a bit of time.

If you have any specific questions, I am happy to share any experience that I have, but overall, it is a great unit and I believe it enhances my awareness and safety.

Abram

If they would have come out with it 6 months earlier it is what would be in my plane rather than the 430w which I loath the architecture of. The 750 is freaking awesome (almost completely intuitive from the touch screen menus, plus you can rubber band in any clearance amendments without spinning and pushing a million times) which reminds me, it's about time for another IPC in Av's plane.:D

I looked hard at the 750 but opted for the 650 with an Aspen setup. My CDIs would have not worked with the Garmins and between the aging DG, needing to buy a CDI, I found the Aspen with Garmin 650 worked out great.

unehujaz.jpg

Thanks to all who replied. I played with the simulator in the shop and really liked the rubber band route editing feature. We'll see what works out. I'll need a new CDI but it's time to move into the 21st century I think.

Thanks to all who replied. I played with the simulator in the shop and really liked the rubber band route editing feature. We'll see what works out. I'll need a new CDI but it's time to move into the 21st century I think.

Yep, time to step into SVT glass.

I've done a couple of gigs with 750's, and I think it is a significant advancement over the 530. It's easier to use, with a bigger screen, and additional capability to integrate more systems (e.g., audio panel and transponder). If I were upgrading a 2xNavComm panel today, that would be my first choice.

ipads seem to be much more popular with this group.:D

I run the 750 on my iPad (ok, the simulator.)

It's a very impressive box. One of the coolest features is its ability to be the integrated interface for several remotely mounted boxes, i.e. audio panel, transponder, etc. the user interface is pretty intuitive, as well.

I looked hard at the 750 but opted for the 650 with an Aspen setup. My CDIs would have not worked with the Garmins and between the aging DG, needing to buy a CDI, I found the Aspen with Garmin 650 worked out great.

unehujaz.jpg

Very nice. You probably look for IMC so you don't have to waste time looking outside with a nice panel like that!

:thumbsup:

I've played with one a little bit. It's pretty nice, but I'm not crazy about touchscreens in the cockpit. When you're bouncing around a little, I feel it's easier to have something physical to manipulate.

I've played with one a little bit. It's pretty nice, but I'm not crazy about touchscreens in the cockpit. When you're bouncing around a little, I feel it's easier to have something physical to manipulate.

Which the 750 has....knobs for changing frequencies and switching between nav and comm. Choose between knobs or touchscreen as you desire.

But the bezel gives your hand a perch for when using the touch screen, but I have not tried one in turbulence. Maybe one of those who fly with them could address that issue.

Which the 750 has....knobs for changing frequencies and switching between nav and comm. Choose between knobs or touchscreen as you desire.

But the bezel gives your hand a perch for when using the touch screen, but I have not tried one in turbulence. Maybe one of those who fly with them could address that issue.
I've used them in turbulence, and it's no worse and in some ways better than the 530. The "buttons" on the screen are much bigger than the buttons on the 530, and as noted above, it's pretty easy to brace your hand with a couple if fingers on the bezel.

It wasn't 6 months for me, Garmin announced it during the installation of my 430W in the 182!! :mad2::mad2:
I may look at a 750 for the Conquest, then swap the 530W in it to the 182 and sell the 430W. :D Or I may just keep what I've got until something breaks. ;)
If they would have come out with it 6 months earlier it is what would be in my plane rather than the 430w which I loath the architecture of. The 750 is freaking awesome (almost completely intuitive from the touch screen menus, plus you can rubber band in any clearance amendments without spinning and pushing a million times) which reminds me, it's about time for another IPC in Av's plane.:D

It wasn't 6 months for me, Garmin announced it during the installation of my 430W in the 182!! :mad2::mad2:
I may look at a 750 for the Conquest, then swap the 530W in it to the 182 and sell the 430W. :D Or I may just keep what I've got until something breaks. ;)

Just get the 750 and G-600 and join the future of aviation, not to mention a level of situational awareness you didn't imagine possible.

Congratulations! It is a great unit. You won't regret the decision.

Abram

Very nice. You probably look for IMC so you don't have to waste time looking outside with a nice panel like that!

:thumbsup:

Thanks! Ironically, until this upgrade in December, I spent the last 20+ years flying the same plane IFR with steam gauges (dual ILS, ADF, DG with heading bug). Transitioning to glass really changed my IFR flying. The wealth of information displayed is remarkable.

Last edited:
I've used them in turbulence, and it's no worse and in some ways better than the 530. The "buttons" on the screen are much bigger than the buttons on the 530, and as noted above, it's pretty easy to brace your hand with a couple if fingers on the bezel.

I will second this observation. I have flown some rough air with the 650 and between the knobs and the finger resting bezel (yep, they designed it so you can anchor your fingers on it so you can use one finger for touching), it works. As well, the touchscreen buttons are large enough to make it easy to get what you want. It is not like an iPad or Nexus where you need to be very precise.

If they would have come out with it 6 months earlier it is what would be in my plane rather than the 430w

If it had been one DAY earlier I would have one instead of the 530W. It was announced the same day I got the call that my plane was ready for pickup.

Oh by the way, while we've got it opened up this far you might want to go ahead and _____________ and __________________ and maybe _____________ as it will be a lot cheaper now than if we wait and do it later.

Ordered. Will be installed in a couple of weeks. Had to go with a new CDI as well. Pictures will follow. :thumbsup:

And here I am holding on to a kln 89B, trays and connectors lol. The concept of "outdated" seems confusing to me when a 430w still goes for 10K installed. WTF.

Wouldn't a more reasonable measure of outdated be whether or not you can update the IFR database? So long as you can do that, aren't you really par for the course? Don't get me wrong, someone has to take the depreciation hit on these overpriced electronics and I'm glad it's not me, but is it really fair to say a 10K installed electronic is outdated? Or more specifically, the insinuation that throwing installation money at anything other than a GTN-xxx is a foolish and wasteful expenditure...Couldn't the opposite (overspending-for-capability) be said as well?
:stirpot:

And here I am holding on to a kln 89B, trays and connectors lol. The concept of "outdated" seems confusing to me when a 430w still goes for 10K installed. WTF.

Wouldn't a more reasonable measure of outdated be whether or not you can update the IFR database? So long as you can do that, aren't you really par for the course? Don't get me wrong, someone has to take the depreciation hit on these overpriced electronics and I'm glad it's not me, but is it really fair to say a 10K installed electronic is outdated? Or more specifically, the insinuation that throwing installation money at anything other than a GTN-xxx is a foolish and wasteful expenditure...Couldn't the opposite (overspending-for-capability) be said as well?
:stirpot:

Lots of things continue to have operational value long after "the next great thing" has arrived. But that doesn't do much for the longing for the new capabilities.

Nope, I just make a list of everything they want, obtain the bids, coordinate the work, monitor the completion schedule, provide weekly (and sometimes daily) reports to the owners and then serve punch at the delivery party.

On a recent job the new carpet and lower side panels that were originally scheduled for replacement led to an added $120,000 that included a new interior complete with replating all the seat-belts, lights, wemacs and other metal stuff in the plane, while at the same time the 750 install (actually a 725 since they don't need the comm's) increased from $32k to almost $70k due to the desire for an airshow system in the cabin. Ka-ching.

And that doesn't include repainting the tail number.

Are working on commission????? :D

Nope, I just make a list of everything they want, obtain the bids, coordinate the work, monitor the completion schedule, provide weekly (and sometimes daily) reports to the owners and then serve punch at the delivery party.

On a recent job the new carpet and lower side panels that were originally scheduled for replacement led to an added $120,000 that included a new interior complete with replating all the seat-belts, lights, wemacs and other metal stuff in the plane, while at the same time the 750 install (actually a 725 since they don't need the comm's) increased from $32k to almost $70k due to the desire for an airshow system in the cabin. Ka-ching.

A good friend manages his company's Citation XL. The velocity of money when operating such a machine is truly breathtaking. Nothing that arises in maintenance is less than $40K it seems, and the $100K+ events are not infrequent. They just did hot sections, a new interior and some panel upgrades which came in around $600K. A trim runaway in Dec. was a $120K affair.

Truly a "if you gotta ask you can't afford it" ownership experience. Thankfully their company is thriving and growing.

This plane is similar, but the hots were done by the seller. About half-mil original bid for the job, but more due to bad turbine blades and some mandatory upgrades.

After a while you don't think about it. During one MX visit to SAV in the G-V some years ago I negotiated a $66,000 discount on the invoice. Just another day at the airport.

A good friend manages his company's Citation XL. The velocity of money when operating such a machine is truly breathtaking. Nothing that arises in maintenance is less than $40K it seems, and the $100K+ events are not infrequent. They just did hot sections, a new interior and some panel upgrades which came in around $600K. A trim runaway in Dec. was a $120K affair.

Truly a "if you gotta ask you can't afford it" ownership experience. Thankfully their company is thriving and growing.

After a while you don't think about it. During one MX visit to SAV in the G-V some years ago I negotiated a $66,000 discount on the invoice. Just another day at the airport.

What's $66K between Jet-A-burning friends?!! Amazing.

I've gotten 4 bids on adding a G-600 to the Conquest:
$56,000.00 5-6 weeks
$62,000.00 no time specified
$42,000.00 2-3 weeks
and the other shop said it can't be done with the autopilot that is in the plane.:mad2:
All included the same part #s for the magic boxes that make everything work.
And of course this is before changing out any of the other stuff that as Wayne points out, is cheaper while we've got it apart!:mad2::mad2:

Is there a reasonable cost option for getting ads-b weather into these GTN boxes? The GDL 88 is around 4k and will work but too much $$$ for me. Will the GDL 39's work with the GTN boxes? Any other options?

I am considering removal of a non-waas 430 for a GTN 650 vs bide a little time and wait for the Avidyne IFD 440. Looks like the Avidyne will be a strong competitor.

I am considering removal of a non-waas 430 for a GTN 650 vs bide a little time and wait for the Avidyne IFD 440. Looks like the Avidyne will be a strong competitor.

If they ever get it out the door. Sure seems like its taken longer than they expected.

Back