Garmin GDL 84 ADSB In/Out for $3995

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
I did a quick search on the site, but couldn't find anyone mentioning this. It looks to be a relatively inexpensive, certified, standalone ADS-B In/Out device:

"For U.S. aircraft owners seeking an easy, cost-efficient way to meet the requirements for ADS-B “Out” equipage – while enjoying the “In” benefits of subscription-free weather and traffic – our Garmin GDL 84 offers the ideal solution."

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/avionics-safety/weather-solutions/gdl-84/prod511180.html

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2014/October/28/Garmin-introduces-new-ADS-B-solution

It requires a Garmin transponder that can talk wirelessly.

I think your definition (and Garmin's) of "inexpensive" is different than mine.

I think that's about the same cost as a GDL 88, maybe a little less, but it doesn't work with hard wired displays. Kind of an 88 lite? :dunno:

I thought it was sort of interesting, as it includes a certified WAAS source, so no need to have a 430 or similar (which my plane doesn't have). I already have a Skyguard, which is similar to this, but cheaper and portable, but no real word on certification for the Skyguard.

"The only panel modification required is an annunciator indicating ADS-B status, Garmin says. A patented self-interrogation feature allows the GDL 84 to synchronize squawk codes with a wide range of general aviation transponders, eliminating the need to install an additional control panel and keep squawk codes in sync."

Read more at http://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-g...s-lower-priced-ads-b-gear#PvOjTU2bJ8FsqHyy.99

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I chuckled when I heard about this. Proprietary and a few dollars less than their other one to make it "economical".

It requires a Garmin transponder that can talk wirelessly.

How do you arrive at this. My understanding is that it will work with just about any transponder. Garmin supports both the serial interface and they have a low power 1030 MHz interrogator and they receive the 1090 MHz reply and obtain the data via their 1090 MHz receiver.

So you leave your current transponder and its antennae intact? And put this box in, it's annunciator (how big is it?) and it's GPS antennae? And you can get the traffic and weather on your ipad? THAT is gonna sell.

Will it work with the Garmin 327 transponder?

You still have to buy the Flightstream 110 to make it "self contained" at $1000.00

Do anyone else think this ADS-b mandate is going to kill GA for the small/older planes?

Do anyone else think this ADS-b mandate is going to kill GA for the small/older planes?
no....me thinks ADS-B out portables will find their way into TSO approval. That will maximize the ADS-B players.....and reduce costs.

Everybody wins on that.:yes:

ok...wishful thinking on my part. :D

so....how will gliders and planes with no electrical systems play in ADS-B? The +$5,000 install cost is a major hurdle. Which in many cases is 20-30% of aircraft values.

Last edited:
ok...wishful thinking on my part. :D

so....how will gliders and planes with no electrical systems play in ADS-B? The +$5,000 install cost is a major hurdle.

Good question. There are some 80,000+ aircraft that have a value below $40,000 that have the same problem. The rule exempts gliders and aircraft originally certified without an electrical system, but the exemption only permits operations in class E below 10,000 MSL, including flight inside the 30 NM Mode C veil and must remain clear of Class B and C. I think the same exemption should be available to aircraft with an electrical system if they have a mode C transponder.

This thing ain't over yet. As hearings continue to ping NextGen....the 2020 threads are beginning to unravel.

A small rule change or modification could easily fix this. The establishment will continue to keep an strong upper lip regarding 2020.....but, I believe will eventually cave.

Last edited:
This thing ain't over yet. As hearings continue to ping NextGen....the 2020 threads are beginning to unravel.

A small rule change or modification could easily fix this. The establishment will continue to keep an strong upper lip.....but, I believe will eventually cave.

I am making a formal application for such a rule change. Essentially I am asking the FAA for 91.225(d)(2) to be deleted from the rule.

(d) After January 1, 2020, and unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft in the following airspace unless the aircraft has equipment installed that meets the requirements in paragraph (b) of this section:

(1) Class B and Class C airspace areas;

(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section, within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 to this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(3) Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL;

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface; and

(5) Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.

(e) The requirements of paragraph (b) of this section do not apply to any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system, or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders. These aircraft may conduct operations without ADS-B Out in the airspace specified in paragraphs (d)(2) and (d)(4) of this section. Operations authorized by this section must be conducted--

(1) Outside any Class B or Class C airspace area; and

(2) Below the altitude of the ceiling of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport, or 10,000 feet MSL, whichever is lower.

how will gliders and planes with no electrical systems play in ADS-B?

Shouldn't change anything. ADS B out will be required in airspace where Mode C transponders are now required. Stay out of that airspace (including 10,000+ MSL, class B, class C) and you are unaffected.

Actually, a lot of pilots who fly their planes recreationally will not be affected in 2020 for exactly this reason.

Are you aware that those aircraft currently fly in mode C rings....and class B airspace?

Back