Garmin G5 software version 5.20

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
seems like there is a new software version for G5 released on Mar 13. cant find any release document or what was incorporated.. anyone?

never mind : https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=10739

Changes made from version 5.00 to 5.20:
  • Added support for GSA 28 yaw damper in certified aircraft installations
  • Improved GAD 29B analog heading/course datum outputs
  • Improved battery status display
  • Changed glideslope deviation to be hidden when not flying inbound on localizer course
  • General improvements to system operation
  • Includes update to GMC 507 software version 2.20
  • Includes update to GSA 28 software version 4.10
  • Includes GAD 29 software version 3.00
  • Includes GMU 11 software version 2.00

What is the process for applying this software upgrade? Is it difficult enough that the avionics shop needs to do it? Or can the owner/operator do it?

What is the process for applying this software upgrade? Is it difficult enough that the avionics shop needs to do it? Or can the owner/operator do it?

Usually without an installer login on the Garmin website, you won’t be able to download it anyway. That’s their usual MO anyway.

Usually without an installer login on the Garmin website, you won’t be able to download it anyway. That’s their usual MO anyway.

The Garmin G5 software update procedure in the G5 installation manual. No, you do not need access to the dealer website, just follow the instructions in Rev 13 of the install manual found on the sales website under manuals. IMHO software updates are NOT an owner preventative maintenance function and needs to be done by an FAA mechanic the rest of the STC documents need to be updated at the same time. Unlike database updates which are updated by owners/operators every day.

Last edited:
I was just wondering the same thing. The STC document in my POH has the version number mentioned. Since this doesn’t look like a major update, I will just pass. Wish they mentioned what bugs were fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the update the last time for my G5. Could not have been any easier. Micro usb card. Download the update to the card. Install in G5. Turn on power to G5. Update installs. Not sure how one could mess that up.

I did the update the last time for my G5. Could not have been any easier. Micro usb card. Download the update to the card. Install in G5. Turn on power to G5. Update installs. Not sure how one could mess that up.

I've done the same, twice. Legalities aside, when I'm counting on the software in that device to keep me right side up in the clouds, I'm damn sure going to have the most up-to-date software on it. And taking it to a shop to apply an update that's freely available on Garmin's website and takes literally 60 seconds to apply? Common sense ought to prevail there.

FWIW, the AFMS says that the G5 must use "the following software OR LATER FAA APPROVED SOFTWARE VERSIONS." So I don't think the AFMS needs to be updated to reflect a software update.

Last edited:
FWIW, the AFMS says that the G5 must use "the following software OR LATER FAA APPROVED SOFTWARE VERSIONS." So I don't think the AFMS needs to be updated to reflect a software update.

Where is your evidence of software approval? "I got it off the website" isn't a good answer, just saying.

Where is your evidence of software approval? "I got it off the website" isn't a good answer, just saying.

I'd beg to differ. The manufacturer made the software available, I think it's implicit that's it's been approved. I think I'm entitled to rely on Garmin in that instance; it's fair to assume Garmin isn't going to make unapproved software available. It's not like the dealer-updated software comes with paperwork either.

I'd beg to differ. The manufacturer made the software available, I think it's implicit that's it's been approved. I think I'm entitled to rely on Garmin in that instance; it's fair to assume Garmin isn't going to make unapproved software available. It's not like the dealer-updated software comes with paperwork either.

IOW, you don't know.

Garmin softwares downloaded do not come with traceability, that is true, but it's clearly documented on FAA approved documents.

Softwares bought and shipped on disks or other storage media typically come with 8130-3

Edit: This STC is written a bit different than the others and it says right in the installation manual:

upload_2018-3-22_12-40-4.png

Last edited:
Also, it may be possible to download software from the website that may require software update on other connected LRUs that only dealer has access to, so there is that.

The Garmin G5 software update procedure in the G5 installation manual. No, you do not need access to the dealer website, just follow the instructions in Rev 13 of the install manual found on the sales website under manuals. IMHO software updates are NOT an owner preventative maintenance function and needs to be done by an FAA mechanic the rest of the STC documents need to be updated at the same time. Unlike database updates which are updated by owners/operators every day.

I figured the last part, so I’m surprised they don’t lock the update away from the public. Okey dokey.

I spoke to my avionics guy, he said owner operator can update. I can print the STC letter and put it in as well, but the install sticker says version 5.0, so unless I put in an entry in the log book, it doesn’t match with the document in the log book.

I figured the last part, so I’m surprised they don’t lock the update away from the public. Okey dokey.

The reason it is not locked away is because they are selling these kits over the counter with a coupon to get the STC letter of authorization. That is everything a mechanic/IA needs from garmin to install it. Since it is not covered by the "dealer installation only" policy, the software is availabe as is the STC data.

A good shop would look at this and make sure your documents and software conform to each revision level.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/005-01112-01_12.pdf

FAA STC certificate approves the master data list /master document list. The MDL shows all the approved documents that apply to an approved installation, things should match up.

Not worth taking the risk of this argument with FAA, I will swing by the avionics shop and get a sticker.

Not worth taking the risk of this argument with FAA, I will swing by the avionics shop and get a sticker.

Any A&P can do it, tho might help if you bring them the STC docs and show them.

it is being picky but I know of a DPE that has refused the rental plane because a garmin STC ICA was not documented as being complied with at the annual, such as this one:
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01007-A1_10.pdf see section 4.

IOW, you don't know.

Garmin softwares downloaded do not come with traceability, that is true, but it's clearly documented on FAA approved documents.

Softwares bought and shipped on disks or other storage media typically come with 8130-3

Edit: This STC is written a bit different than the others and it says right in the installation manual:

View attachment 61194

Yes, there are FAA documents that establish that the software was approved, that's great (and a given). I didn't say there wasn't. My point was that it's totally reasonable to assume (and rely on) that software updates Garmin makes available online are FAA-approved. If you're suggesting that Garmin might make an un-approved software update available on its website for download (and represent that said software is for their certified units), well, that's just a little nuts. I'm not taking a position on the legality of doing software updates as an owner; my point is that there's no reason to fear that the software Garmin makes available isn't approved and that I prefer to run the most recent software available and that the updates are so easy that involving an avionics shop in the process doesn't make any sense.

Reactions: 5QK
Yes, there are FAA documents that establish that the software was approved, that's great (and a given). I didn't say there wasn't. My point was that it's totally reasonable to assume (and rely on) that software updates Garmin makes available online are FAA-approved. If you're suggesting that Garmin might make an un-approved software update available on its website for download (and represent that said software is for their certified units), well, that's just a little nuts. I'm not taking a position on the legality of doing software updates as an owner; my point is that there's no reason to fear that the software Garmin makes available isn't approved and that I prefer to run the most recent software available and that the updates are so easy that involving an avionics shop in the process doesn't make any sense.

What's crazy is assuming the file you get is correct one, probably uploaded to the website by an intern lol.

I get incorrect parts, documents from STC holders, bad traceability etc monthly. Trust but verify.

What's crazy is assuming the file you get is correct one, probably uploaded to the website by an intern lol.

I get incorrect parts, documents from STC holders, bad traceability etc monthly. Trust but verify.

For the G5, the avionics shop/installer is going to get the software from the same place. The verification is in loading the software and checking the version number in the G5. There's no more "verification" going on at an avionics shop than in my own hangar.

I'd beg to differ. The manufacturer made the software available, I think it's implicit that's it's been approved.

No, not true at all.

Remember, Garmin serves both experimental and certified markets. The standards for testing the software vary, and Garmin does make new software available to the experimental market prior to the certification testing being complete. I ran into this myself recently - The software update was available, and OK to install in E-AB, but I had to wait a week or two before the update was certified.

I just had our avionics shop update our G5 to 5.20 :)

Has anybody asked what a Garmin dealer charges for the update to a G5?

Most software updates I've had done range from free to a couple hours of labor, depending on how recently I had the gear installed and how much extra paperwork is required. It's among the cheaper things a shop will ever do for you!

Most software updates I've had done range from free to a couple hours of labor, depending on how recently I had the gear installed and how much extra paperwork is required. It's among the cheaper things a shop will ever do for you!
Thanks. I just requested a quote from the local Garmin dealer (JA at ARR). I have a couple other minor avionic things I want them to shore up too. Think my G5 is version 3 something?

I could.

Back