Garmin G5 keep mechanical CDI?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Is there any way to keep a mechanical CDI (like the Garmin 106A) with a G5 and have them both hooked to the same ILS/GPS source so they show the same data? If not, why not?

I think the two needles seem much easier to read on an approach than the little tiny diamond on the G5.

The G5 HSI should be more accurate, and the used market for G106A's has softened slightly, but still worth $1500-1800 used. Ask the av shop if the source system has enough current for both, I'm guessing the STC proscribes a specific installation that does not option both in parallel.

because the STC approved installation manual says no other CDI can be connected to the same radio as the G5 HSI, in addition the configuration disables CDI.

Another example, the OBS in the CDI is disabled when a G5 HSI is installed.

Last edited:
What is the dg function on the G5 installed without a magnetometer?

What is the dg function on the G5 installed without a magnetometer?

Magnetometer is not optional when a G5 is installed as a DG or HSI in a type certificated airplane per STC installation manual.

If you’re going with a G5 for the AI doesn’t that also come with a flight director?

Seems you’ll have the CDI times two and a FD with dual G5s, adding the mechanical seems silly unless it’s on nav 2 or something.

You cannot have the CDI and the HSI on the same navigator. It's in the G5 install manual. One or the other, not both.

If you’re going with a G5 for the AI doesn’t that also come with a flight director?

With the GFC500 autopilot yes, it does have FD. Two G5s without the GFC500 does not have FD.

You cannot have the CDI and the HSI on the same navigator. It's in the G5 install manual. One or the other, not both.

How silly

With the GFC500 autopilot yes, it does have FD. Two G5s without the GFC500 does not have FD.

Wonder why it needs another garmin product to toss up a FD, I'd think between the GTN/GNS and the G5 it should be able to have all the info for a FD.

Sometimes garmin really annoys me

Back