Garmin G5 IFRG Data Missing Message

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
We recently got a message on the G5 DG that reads " IGRF Data Missing" Any thoughts on what could be causing this? I have read of "IGRF Data out of Date" messages but I understand that was due to a Garmin Software update. The message popped up today when my partner powered up the plane when he went to pick it up from the avionics shop. By way of brief history we have 2 G5s an AI and DG. About 8 months ago we had a GFC500 installed sometime there after we got a GAD29 fault and the GAD29 unit was replaced. Then a few months later we got another GAD29 fault which is why the plane was back in the shop. This 2nd GAD 29 fault was oddly intermittent. The second fault ended up being a loose connection at the circuit breaker. Getting pretty frustrated.

Attachments

• IGRF Data Missing.jpg
    IGRF Data Missing.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
G5 software update available free from Garmin. We did it earlier this year, I posted about it somewhere around here.

Even if certified install, our IA and a review of the maintenance manual determined it was covered under database updates even though Garmin implies otherwise. Log entry required though.

ETA: IGRF is the table for magnetic variation used to calibrate data coming from the GMU11.

G5 software update available free from Garmin. We did it earlier this year, I posted about it somewhere around here.

Even if certified install, our IA and a review of the maintenance manual determined it was covered under database updates even though Garmin implies otherwise. Log entry required though.

ETA: IGRF is the table for magnetic variation used to calibrate data coming from the GMU11.
Thanks. I heard of folks getting the message "IFRG Data Out of Date" but ours says "missing" to your knowledge is it still a software update issue?

Thanks. I heard of folks getting the message "IFRG Data Out of Date" but ours says "missing" to your knowledge is it still a software update issue?

Since the Dec 2022 update addresses the outdated mag var table, I would assume it does.

Install the Garmin G5 firmware update 8.20. It will include the new mag variation data. You may have to go through two update cycles, one for the software, and a second for the IGRF data. Google Garmin G5 update, and make sure you get the right one, e.g. certificated or experimental. The certificated Version 8.20 was released April 6.

I will say if you DIY it, take the time to record all the settings as there is a small chance one or may reset to default during the update. The MM/ICA provides the super simple instructions for the update procedure; the install manual has templates to record settings.

The install manual also directs installers to record the configuration and provide it to the operator, but I find that doesn’t always happen.

Read the STC ICA and understand all the equipment needs to be powered up during these software updates.

I will say if you DIY it, take the time to record all the settings as there is a small chance one or may reset to default during the update. The MM/ICA provides the super simple instructions for the update procedure; the install manual has templates to record settings.

The install manual also directs installers to record the configuration and provide it to the operator, but I find that doesn’t always happen.
Right on. FYI, my upgrade went just fine without any settings degradation, which Garmin does warn about in their update instructions. However, I discovered that after the update the IFRG data error appeared during the test flight. Back on the ground I did the update again, and the IGRF update applied itself from the same data card. I suspect the software version update goes first, then the IGRF update may occur after the first reboot. Anyway, make sure both updates go. Apparently I wasn't patient enough.

Right on. FYI, my upgrade went just fine without any settings degradation, which Garmin does warn about in their update instructions. However, I discovered that after the update the IFRG data error appeared during the test flight. Back on the ground I did the update again, and the IGRF update applied itself from the same data card. I suspect the software version update goes first, then the IGRF update may occur after the first reboot. Anyway, make sure both updates go. Apparently I wasn't patient enough.
After the first reboot it is supposed to ask if you want to install the IGRF update. Mine did.

Back