Garmin G5 Driving an Aerocruze 100 (TruTrak)

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
I currently have a S-Tec 60. In heading mode, I can drive the autopilot using the heading bug on the S-Tec DG. If ATC says, "turn 050," I can turn the heading bug to 050 and the autopilot will turn the plane to that heading.

I'm about to have dual Garmin G5s and a Bendix King Aerocruze 100 (TruTrak) installed in the next few weeks. The G5s will replace the DG and AI. This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway -- Will one of my new G5s function in a similar manner with the Aerocruze 100? In other words, if ATC gives me a heading, can I set that heading on the G5, and have it drive the autopilot?

Thanks!

As Jesse says, yes it will. Although you will need to add a toggle switch to tell the AP whether to take input from the G5s or GPS.

Since the Aerocruize 100 does not appear on the list of third party autopilots included in the G5 installation manual can anyone please enlighten me as to the correct settings to use?
I believe that's a job for your avionics shop.

I have Dual G5’s, a garmin 530 and the Aerocruze 100 AP. In heading mode the Aerocruze has its own dial to change heading similar to what you describe with the S-Tec you have now. Turn the dial if the AP is already on or turn the heading bug dial and set the altitude and turn on the AP and watch it go. Or set a flight plan in the GPS and turn the AP to GPSS mode and again watch it go. Really easy to operate and it is not necessary to connect the G5 for the AP to track or work if it has a GPS to draw its heading. In turn the G5 will also drive the autopilot when connected to it. You will like the combination. The only drawback with not connecting the G5 is that you have to manually set the altitude on the AP prior to or during flight (its simple to do). If the AP is driven by the G5 the altitude is set automatically.

The internal control will give you gps ground track. The G5 will give you magnetic heading. It will also sync the Baro-adjusted altitude in the auto pilot. Not a big deal, but for the “heading” purists, driving the heading from the G5 is important. For those who care less about where they are pointed and more about where they are going, then ground track is the way to go.

Back