Garmin g1000nxi and Smartglide? what are the chances?

john cronin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jc4461
I realize the Garmin g1000nxi does not come with Garmin smart glide as an available add on. But.... Is it ridiculous to assume that if Garmin wanted to do it... they could add it on as an option to the G1000nxi? I am no expert so there must be some reason they are not offering it in the G1000 as an add-on

They already have all your money so why bother? :D

With all G1000's models, it's the airframe manufacturer who decides the options & features and not Garmin. Garmin only provides the capability.

Different story for Garmin GA retrofit products, the customer decides based on what Garmin is shipping.

My hangar neighbor was looking to buy new Garmin equipment to replace his old instruments. Garmin shop told him Garmin equipment is sold out from the manufacturer until March 2023.

My hangar neighbor was looking to buy new Garmin equipment to replace his old instruments. Garmin shop told him Garmin equipment is sold out from the manufacturer until March 2023.
What did he/she want to buy?

With all G1000's models, it's the airframe manufacturer who decides the options & features and not Garmin. Garmin only provides the capability.

Different story for Garmin GA retrofit products, the customer decides based on what Garmin is shipping.
The inability to modify manufacturer choices or to update G1000 capability without manufacturer approval is a big negative of the G1000 platform. I'm familiar with the issue with Diamond but I've heard it with Mooney and Bonanza too. I love flying them but I'm not sure I would buy an airplane with one without checking the history of manufacturer update support.

Ridiculous example. Diamond blocked the ability of the G1000 to connect via Bluetooth to a remote 345 transponder. Solutions exist, including a NXi software update...that Diamond has not approved.

Back