Garmin aera vs ifly gps

mandm

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Michael
I have a basic IFR GPS and wondering if a panel mounted moving map gps such as Garmin or ifly would be a good add. Unsure if I want to upgrade avionics as I don’t want to fly IMC much, just not at my comfort level yet. But these seem like good alternatives to improve situational awareness. I do have an iPad with foreflight, I guess I could panel mount an iPad mini too? Anyone done this? Installed yourself or mechanic? Happy with the results?

I have a panel mounted iPad (Mini 5). I like it for the following: 1) big picture weather (I'm zoomed out enough to show the next 1-2 hours), 2) a backup to my yoke mounted iPad, 3) it allows my right seat (usually better half) to see where we are and also look for ADS-B traffic 4) and allows her to see what our ETE is without asking - are we there yet, are we there yet. For my own enroute weather checking, entering amended routes if IFR (or VFR for that matter), etc. I use my yoke mounted iPad (it uploads to my panel through FlightStream). My yoke mount is just closer to me and easier for my eyes to see. I have been able to situate it so that it doesn't block any gauges (which wasn't easy) and it's a full sized iPad (9.7" sitting landscape).

Attachments

• 20220211_170651.jpg
    20220211_170651.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 33
M2C
  • I fly both VFR and IFR always with a day light readable tablet (currently using IFLY app).
  • I use a Ram mount.
  • I would not mount into or on the panel permanently.
    • Tablets come and go, as do apps. The IFly and Garmin hardware are essentially "dedicated tablets" with nice, bright, sharp screens.
    • They become outdated faster than panel instruments, and I'm not crazy about how durable they might be with the heat cycles being always in the plane.
Others have mounted and like it.

I use an iFly 740b velcro’d to my panel. Works well and I’m quite pleased with it.

Previously I used an iPad mini but the screen isn’t bright enough.

I have a Garmin 300XL - very old but certified IFR GPS. It feeds the flight plan to an Aera 660 mounted in an AirGizmos in the panel. The 660 gets ADS-B traffic and weather - and AHARS - from a GDL 50 on the dash. I love the setup. I’m waiting to get a GNC 355 and two GI 275s put in but will still have the 355 feed the 660: I can’t get ADS-B In to the 275’s affordably.

It’s a simple connection to the 660. Not sure if your IFR GPS is a Garmin but I think other brands can connect to the 660 as well.

Another greatly satisfied iFly 740b user ... ;)

I have an Aera 510 mounted on a windshield bow bracket with the quick mount hardwired to ship power and data linked to my GNS-430W. The 430 pushes flight plan data to the Aera 510. In addition the Aera gets XM-WX through a puck on the dash. The XM-WX is less flaky than ADS-B data and is available on the ground before departure.

I carry a tablet EFB also for a larger, clearer moving map situational awareness, ADS-B traffic and weather display, and georeferenced approach plates.

This is lots of emergency GPS backup as well as weather display redundancy. My local mechanic had a nearby avionics guy fabricate the simple wiring harness for the 430-Aera 510 data link and did the install himself. The power quick mount was purchased from Garmin and installed at the same time. Very simple. The AERA was installed before modern tablet EFBs were a thing, but I still use it frequently during flight, and keep it updated.

Last edited:
I find Aera quite useful to drive my AP and also as a way to listen to XM :) - it is kind of smallish even when compared to IPad Mini ( pictured below )
upload_2022-8-20_20-34-52.jpeg

I have a Garmin 300XL - very old but certified IFR GPS. It feeds the flight plan to an Aera 660 mounted in an AirGizmos in the panel. The 660 gets ADS-B traffic and weather - and AHARS - from a GDL 50 on the dash. I love the setup. I’m waiting to get a GNC 355 and two GI 275s put in but will still have the 355 feed the 660: I can’t get ADS-B In to the 275’s affordably.

It’s a simple connection to the 660. Not sure if your IFR GPS is a Garmin but I think other brands can connect to the 660 as well.

I also have the GNC300XL. Great and easy tool to get places, still figuring out how to load approaches.

Do any of the GPS mentioned (or other) provide a vertical CDI of any sort after loading an RNAV approach ? We have tried with Foreflight on an iPad connected to Sentry and were not able to pull up any sort of vertical CDI. We're trying to add WAAS-enabled RNAV for additional situational awareness.

Do any of the GPS mentioned (or other) provide a vertical CDI of any sort after loading an RNAV approach ? We have tried with Foreflight on an iPad connected to Sentry and were not able to pull up any sort of vertical CDI. We're trying to add WAAS-enabled RNAV for additional situational awareness.
I'm just thinking outloud here, but I don't think an EFB like Foreflight would be able to provide vertical guidance because it doesn't know the altitude you're flying at according to your altimeter (PA). I would think you'd have to focus on the panel GPS to get that result.

Back