Garmin Aera users...question for you

Ben2k9

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben2k9
Is there any way to update the databases other than connecting to Wifi?

Connect it to your computer via USB.

My Aera connects via a mini-USB port to a computer through the USB-A port, where you can run the Garmin webupdater. On the Aera 510, the appropriate port is behind the battery door, which has to be removed first. If you lost the cable, it might take a while for you to locate a proper USB-A to mini-USB cable. Most electronic devices today use a micro-USB or USB-C connection.

Last edited:
So I don’t suppose a usb drive could be loaded with the update and then transferred to the Aera unit...one must have a computer running to actually load up the update. Do I have that right?

Updating software on the aera 5XX Series

Installing the aera 5XX software using WebUpdater:

Important: If this is your first time using a computer with your aera 5XX, then you will need to download and install Webupdater. You can use the following links for Webupdater for each operating system. Mac or Windows.

1. Connect your aera 500/510/550/560 to your computer with the USB cable.
  2. Launch the WebUpdater.
  3. When the WebUpdater Wizard window opens, click “Next” to continue.
  4. Once your device is found by the computer, click “Next”.
  5. The following page will display what new software version is available for your device. Click “Next” to review the software release notes.
  6. Once you review the software release notes, click “Next” to review the software change history.
  7. Click “Next” to review the License Agreement.
  8. Check the box to agree to the terms and conditions and click “Next” to begin the software update installation. Please do not unplug your device from the computer while the update is happening.
  9. Once the software update is finished. You can click “Next” to see if there are additional updates available for your device. You can also click “Cancel” if you wish to be finished.
  10. You may now safely eject (link?) your device from the computer.

You can DOWNLOAD the Webupdater here for Mac or Windows.
Do I have that right?
yes

So I don’t suppose a usb drive could be loaded with the update and then transferred to the Aera unit...one must have a computer running to actually load up the update. Do I have that right?
Yes, you have that right. You cannot load the update to a flash drive and then transfer to the aera. The computer has to load the update if you don't use the built-in WiFi. The computer also has to be connected to the Internet.

Updating software on the aera 5XX Series
That info is a little bit outdated. The steps are a little different these days.

If I recall correctly, the databases installed by USB are not taken into account by the "Downloads" page.

Back