Garmin 796 roll calibration

Baron62

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron62
When looking at the Garmin 796 Synthetic vision screen I see that roll is consistently off by 3-5 degrees. Is there a way to adjust/calibrate/null the roll on the 796? My 796 has a 232 interface to a Garmin GTX-345 and also to the GTN-650. The 796 display is canted at an angle to point towards the pilot, but moving it doesn't seem to change the roll error. Thanks

When looking at the Garmin 796 Synthetic vision screen I see that roll is consistently off by 3-5 degrees. Is there a way to adjust/calibrate/null the roll on the 796? My 796 has a 232 interface to a Garmin GTX-345 and also to the GTN-650. The 796 display is canted at an angle to point towards the pilot, but moving it doesn't seem to change the roll error. Thanks

Its probably the GTX-345 AHRS not the 796. Calibrate the 345.

I was thinking that it could be in the 345, but I just learned that you can do the following on the 796 "Resetting the 3D Vision Aircraft Attitude: From the Main Menu, touch 3D Vision > Menu > Reset Pitch/Roll (feature available when connected to an attitude source)"

I tried to do the steps listed in the pilot's guide and Reset Pitch/Roll menu option did not show up on the screen. My roll is still off by 3 degrees. :-(

I rechecked that the GTX-345 was connected via the RS232 interface as
the attitude source. All other info looks good.

Last edited:
I ended up calling Garmin and they provided me the procedure which worked. Here is the procedure:
  1. Press and hold ENT button and press ON
  2. Press FUNCT button until you see SNSR on right side of display. SNSR will be seen vertically.
  3. Press button 9 until you see INTERNAL AHRS ORIENTATION
  4. If you need to enter Orientation values press CRSR and ENT.
  5. VENT is a port on the left side of the GTX 345 and should be set to L WING
  6. YAW will be zero
  7. Press button 9 to get to INTERNAL AHRS CALIBRATION page
  8. Press CRSR and ENT and the unit will calibrate. You will see a timer on the left. Let it count down completely.
  9. The End!

Back