Garmin 696 GPS

77FLYR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
77Flyr
Any Comments on the Garmin 696?

I was looking at getting one off Ebay..

I have Fore Flight now but find it a little cumbersome to use.

Love the 696/695 as I've been using them for a few years now. I've not had too much exposure to the 796/795 unit, but I'm sure it functions very similarly, albeit with new bells & whistles. I do still use Foreflight for planning and monitoring traffic & weather with the Stratus 2. There are good deals to be had out there on the 696, so be patient. Some shops still try to sell them new, but I can't imagine how much luck they have since they are charging pretty much full new price (like new before the 796 came out). I've seen them go for <$1,000 many time. I bought mine a couple years ago on eBay for $800 and couldn't have been happier. Look around...plenty of deals to be had!

The nice thing about the 796 is it has the same interface and architecture as the 750-650 and Garmin Pilot. It makes it very simple to move between devices.

Ok how is the Garmin 969 ? It seems a little big for light aircraft..

I have seen these on EBay for under 800 so that seems like a good deal..

Ok how is the Garmin 969 ? It seems a little big for light aircraft..

I have seen these on EBay for under 800 so that seems like a good deal..

The 696? I liked the size, the vertical orientation allows for suitable yoke mounting, and multiple other possibilities as well. Small, brighter, and easier to read than an iPad.

I used them all. For Garmin I like the 696. I hated the 796. My iPad with wing x is better than the 796

I used them all. For Garmin I like the 696. I hated the 796. My iPad with wing x is better than the 796
Will the 696 link to the Fight Stream to operate the the GNS or GTN boxes? At least with Garmin Pilot the iPad will do that.

Will the 696 link to the Fight Stream to operate the the GNS or GTN boxes? At least with Garmin Pilot the iPad will do that.
The 696 in my Bonanza is linked to the GNS530w. But I am going to unlink it asap.

If it did I would be on it but don't believe it does.

The 696 in my Bonanza is linked to the GNS530w. But I am going to unlink it asap.
Why?

If it did I would be on it but don't believe it does.

Why?
I just like to have them separate. I like to put various scenarios in the 696 during flight without simultaneously changing the active parameters in the 530.

The 696 with an XM weather subscription is great for the S.A. While tooling along. I have mine mounted slightly right of center, tilted left.

Back