Garmin 430's

Discussion in 'Avionics and Upgrades' started by Seminole Pilot, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Seminole Pilot

Seminole Pilot Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    fsudelt
    Seeing if anyone else has ran across this before. We have 2 430's in our 182, I was out flying last week and both screens starting turning white (color fading out) and then I lost the ability to transmit out and communicate any intentions. I could still here others over the radios but I could not communicate at all. My guess is they were overheating. Anyone else experience this and if so have you looked into how to avoid them overheating?

Thanks!

2. kc4wsd

kc4wsd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    kc4wsd
    '430s do not have built-in cooling fans, and should have some type of forced air (like a fan) to cool them. If there is a fan installed, check the operation of it to make sure it's actually working correctly.
    Just a thought from an avionics student . . .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Seminole Pilot

Seminole Pilot Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    fsudelt
    Thanks. When you say have a fan blowing forced air, is that to the face (front) of them? Or something behind the unit? Appreciate the insight.

4. kc4wsd

kc4wsd Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    kc4wsd
    The picture shows the back plate of a GTN650 at the top, with the built-in fan, and the GNS430 at the bottom, with no way to keep it cool.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    The 430w has a fan in the top of the radio itself so maybe they knew the 430 c

The GTN is superior in many ways, that fan pulls air through the whole radio, the inlets are around the screen bezel, fan pulls are forward through the chassis and dumps it behind the instrument panel.

Its interesting that it looks to me like they are using a common chassis between the new GTXs and the GNCs, they have provisions for a fan but do not come with them.

6. bradg33

bradg33 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Esquire99
    If they're both doing it, sounds like it could be a voltage issue (low bus voltage)?