Garmin 430 updates and questions

BillG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Greenberg
I just picked up my Tiger with its new Garmin 430 installed. Does Jeppesen have the lock on database updates? Do I need to just buy the card reader and update service directly from them or are there better places to get it?

Also, I have never flown behind a 430 before, or any other IFR GPS. I'm figuring it out and will be getting together with my instrument instructor soon (before I actually fly) but I have one probably obvious question. I know GPS can be used in place of DME, but how do you do it? If I were to fly the VOR/DME into my home base, http://download.aopa.org/iap/20050609/NE-1/6b6_vor_dme_rwy_21.pdf, how would I use the 430 to get the DME from Manchester as I am flying the approach? And don't worry - like I said, I'm going to go out with my CFI before actually doing this...

When you are doing a VOR/DME approach, and you wanted to use the 430 in lieu of a DME, you'd simply punch up a Direct-to the navaid; then, you'll have an active and always-updated distance to the navaid.

The 430, in that approach, will be relevant ONLY for the distance-to information, and you are still relying upon the navaid and CDI for primary navigation.

Remember you have to have an up-to-date database. And yes, Jepp is the whole game (although Phil Boyer, at one of his Pilot Town Meetings, made reference to potential availability of navigationally-valid third party databases becoming available. Believe it when I see it).

BillG said:
I just picked up my Tiger with its new Garmin 430 installed. Does Jeppesen have the lock on database updates? Do I need to just buy the card reader and update service directly from them or are there better places to get it?
Yes, yes, and no.

Also, I have never flown behind a 430 before, or any other IFR GPS. I'm figuring it out and will be getting together with my instrument instructor soon (before I actually fly)
There are a number of commercial computer-based training products to help teach you this system, including products from VFLITE and Electronic Flight Solutions. Sporty's carries several. I strongly recommend one of these to help you and your instructor become familiar with this system. Your instructor can also obtain a training syllabus free off the Garmin web site (http://www.garmin.com/products/gns430/) where you can get a free Garmin 430 simulator to help you learn and buy a training video.

Bill,

You dog! :) Good luck with the 430. I have a feeling I'm next, but my wife keeps crowing about new furniture. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen. Thanks for the info off-line also.

Anthony: You don't need furniture you already have a place to sit in the Tiger, Go for the 430 besides when you get the Mooney and I get your Tiger it would be great if it already had the 430 installed. Heh Heh.

AdamZ said:
Anthony: You don't need furniture you already have a place to sit in the Tiger, Go for the 430 besides when you get the Mooney and I get your Tiger it would be great if it already had the 430 installed. Heh Heh.

Yeah, that's what's driving me nuts. Just upgrade it for the next guy and get 50% of what I have into the panel in return. Sigh. But if its for you, no worries.

Yeah, what do you need furniture for? You can sit in the Tiger and put the back seat down to sleep! :)

My instructor is an extremely knowledgable guy who is an expert at all this stuff, I was just thinking out loud before I meet up with him (which isn't going to be for a bit).

Anthony said:
I have a feeling I'm next, but my wife keeps crowing about new furniture. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen.

Anthony,

If your wife is anything like....well just let me say....don't be surprised if one day you come home from work and there will be new furniture in your house.

BTDT and have the furniture to prove it.

:<)

Len

Anthony said:
Bill,

You dog! :) Good luck with the 430. I have a feeling I'm next, but my wife keeps crowing about new furniture. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen. Thanks for the info off-line also.
Think 430 - you can sit on the floor if you have to...

I have a 430 in the Cherokee, and I sure wish the R22 had one instead of the 250XL it came with.

Len Lanetti said:
Anthony,

If your wife is anything like....well just let me say....don't be surprised if one day you come home from work and there will be new furniture in your house.

:<)

Len

Revenge for the new engine? LOL

RotaryWingBob said:

Seems reasonable to me. I'm going to tell that to my wife. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Len Lanetti said:

Ditto. A bedroom set.

Ken Ibold said:
Ditto. A bedroom set.

After the last bonus Sherry got, I came home to find the kitchen under destruction. :(

Anthony said:
I AM DOOMED.

Yeah, this is scaring me. So far it's only been a bed frame and some drapes. You mean, my whole house can change??

I need to get a house with a seperate garage and workshop.

Cheers,

-Andrew

I just wrote about the challenge of learning (and teaching GPS). You can find my column on the subject on the GA News Web site.

I have also posted lots of information and links to information about GPS and other topics in the Online Resources section of my Web site. The links there will point you to such resources as the Garmin syllabus mentioned earlier, manuals, and training materials.

There are lots of resources available, regardless of whether you're a manual-reader, a futz-with-all-the-buttons-learner, video watcher, or some combination of the above.

For general information about how GPS fits into today's airspace system, check out the AOPA Air Safety Foundation's great publications on GPS, available at:

http://www.aopa.org/asf/safety_topics.html#technology

RotaryWingBob said:

I have a 430 in the Cherokee, and I sure wish the R22 had one instead of the 250XL it came with.

A 250XL in a R22! You are uptown now. LOL

You do not need to buy some commercial training package. You probably don't need an instructor. Just go to the Garmin website that Ron posted above. Download the Garmin 400 series trainer. Sit down at your PC with the Garmin manual. Try EVERYTHING. Try EVERYTHING again. Push every button on every page, turn every knob. Check every menu. Do it again. You do this and you'll be better than most instructors you might go to.
This box is great. Too many pilots with one don't use a fraction of what it can do.

Thanks, everyone. Actually, I deal with computers and programing for a living. Before picking up my airplane I had already read the quick guide, the manual, and had downloaded and played with the simulator. I wouldn't exactly say I'm completely proficient with the unit, but I understand the concepts, pretty much know where everything is, and could teach YOU how to use the basics. I haven't had any GPS approach training and am IFR rusty as it is, so I won't be flying IFR until I hook up with my instructor, but I was just curious about how to fly that particular approach, where I'd like to be able to use the GPS of course, but I'd need that DME from the Manchester VOR.

I've been using a 530 for the past 18 months and love it. However certain features that aren't used regularly tend to fade from memory (at least mine).
As a refresher I strongly recommend this FAA site: http://aea.faa.gov/aea200/safety/Garmin.htm
The series takes approx. 5 hours but is well done .

Another Lance on the board. Confusion reigns. (Does your last name start with F by any chance? If so, we don't have confusion, we have chaos.:goofy: )

BTW, welcome to the board, Lance

Lance Fisher, Lance Flynn, and (IIRC) there's a Lane Fisher floating around out there, too. Who's on first?

Ron Levy said:
Lance Fisher, Lance Flynn, and (IIRC) there's a Lane Fisher floating around out there, too. Who's on first?

Ron. Joe Williams changed his name to Lance too. :)

This is no more confusing than figuring out how a 430 works. :) Actually, that's not right - the 430 makes a lot of sense once you understand the concepts... :)

Back