Garmin 430 Install Cost

MTWings

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MTWings
For those of have installed a 430 recently is an cost of $5000 to $6000 just to install the unit (no parts) seem steep to you? I have received two quotes from different shops? I have installed nav/coms, audio panels, and instruments but have never installed a IFR gps, so I wanted to have someone else install it since no idea on the requirements for the supplement manual and flight test.

It’s got connections for nav,com and audio not to mention adsb, autopilot and maybe more Im missing.
Normally they sell you a new unit like gtn they will reduce the install costs, but used, especially if not their unit...you pay retail.

So that sounds like 60-70 hours for the install.

What is it replacing and what plane is it going in? Do they have to run fresh coax for the antenna? That can be a briotche (technical term)

It may be the right price for all we know.

So they said 50-60 ($100/hr). The plane has PS8000B, MX170, KY197A, KT78, and a G5 for the artificial horizon. All the coax cables are new from when I installed the G5, PS8000, and KY197A and rewired the MX for GS two years ago.
I am just having the 430 installed with a CDI nothing fancy.
They both quoted for a 430, 430W, and the new 650 (670 not sure what the new replacement for the 430 is) the same labor cost so there is not discount for new.
EDIT: Cessna 150

When has a prop not needed new blades though? When has a radio not needed new coax? It's always the same thing with shops: To a kid with hammer everything is a nail.

One thing people often miss about these GPS wonderboxes is that you're essentially installing a nav/comm too; people just completely overlook that and somehow just call it the cost of gaining GPS capability. That may be the custom, but it doesn't make it the true cost. The installation cost should be significantly lower for a GPS-only installation. The problem is that OEMs are a-holes and priced gps-only boxes so close to the +navcom boxes that it effectively bakes in the cost of installing comm and nav capes into a GPS installation. Capes that are almost always wasteful when compared to what's in the aircraft already. In typical human fashion though, people only view the capability in terms of the two boxes' differential unit price and figure it's ¡free!, when the reality of the installation is thousands of dollars more.

So they said 50-60 ($100/hr). The plane has PS8000B, MX170, KY197A, KT78, and a G5 for the artificial horizon. All the coax cables are new from when I installed the G5, PS8000, and KY197A and rewired the MX for GS two years ago.
I am just having the 430 installed with a CDI nothing fancy.
They both quoted for a 430, 430W, and the new 650 (670 not sure what the new replacement for the 430 is) the same labor cost so there is not discount for new.
EDIT: Cessna 150

A 150? Yikes. I wouldn't do it man. Here's an interesting one. Ask them to price you labor on a 400W. If you get the same quote they're ripping you off.

Yep, before all the avionics shops were busy with ads-b they all told me 40-50 hours. It wouldn't surprise me if they bumped up the price lately. They all have more work than they can complete right now.

A 150? Yikes. I wouldn't do it man. Here's an interesting one. Ask them to price you labor on a 400W. If you get the same quote they're ripping you off.
It is used as a trainer so the issue is needing to add GPS to the plane due to DME or RNAV now being required on every approach except a VOR-A and VOR 22 since they changed the approaches in the spring here. I was going to add just a KLN 94 but I only have 1.5 inches in the rack left and since the MX's com is a POS (been the the factory four times and they still cannot fix the com picking FM radio) I was just going to rip it out and put in NAV/COM/GPS.

It is used as a trainer so the issue is needing to add GPS to the plane due to DME or RNAV now being required on every approach except a VOR-A and VOR 22 since they changed the approaches in the spring here. I was going to add just a KLN 94 but I only have 1.5 inches in the rack left and since the MX's com is a POS (been the the factory four times and they still cannot fix the com picking FM radio) I was just going to rip it out and put in NAV/COM/GPS.
Oh work airplane? Disregard all then. Its a work airplane. Pass the cost down to the customer.

I was guessing shop rate of $85 (should have stated that). I think you might be in a reasonable ballpark for the quote.

Sad but that box touches just about everything in the panel. And that’s the reason for all the labor. It even needs Gray code from the transponder. So that’s why folks usually do a complete panel vs onezee twozee boxes.

I just did a Gtx330ES....and it went to places I didn’t realize to include the 530w and audio panel.

Yep, before all the avionics shops were busy with ads-b they all told me 40-50 hours. It wouldn't surprise me if they bumped up the price lately. They all have more work than they can complete right now.

Sarasota avionics used to advertise a GTN 650, installed for $12,500!
That’s a screaming deal now (they no longer have that special), but they now advertise job openings. Sign of the times.

Sad but that box touches just about everything in the panel. And that’s the reason for all the labor. It even needs Gray code from the transponder. So that’s why folks usually do a complete panel vs onezee twozee boxes.

I just did a Gtx330ES....and it went to places I didn’t realize to include the 530w and audio panel.
I complete forgot about the gray codes. Looks like it might have to be a W and ADSB for the install then.

Sarasota avionics used to advertise a GTN 650, installed for $12,500!
That’s a screaming deal now (they no longer have that special), but they now advertise job openings. Sign of the times.
I wish I would have seen that!

Combine the severe A&P shortage with unprecedented demand at Av shops for new equipment and we get these prices. I've super jacked to have jumped on the ADS-B bandwagon before this craziness and get the $500 FAA rebate.

Shops around here so busy with complete panel overhauls, they are not really interested in single unit installs.

I'd look at a GTN-650 if the install costs for a 430W are that high. Don't get me wrong... I love my 430W and GTX-345 transponder.

Pacific Coast is pretty backed up as well, looked at working there as I need to be closer to home for family reasons. Think it’ll be February if you want a new transponder installed there nowadays. They’re all backed up like that.

Did mine 10 years ago $10k for new gns430w, like new gi106a and interfaces, plus rewiring whole panel. I guess times have gotten more expensive.

Avionics shops are goldmines right now. It is a steep price but it is what they can get. Supply and demand. It is very steep though. I had a 430W installed in my Cessna 340 and it took one guy two days. Haven't had an issue in two years- it was a quality job. He was an honest guy and charged me 16 hours of labor. That probably equates to 60 shop hours in the current avionics landscape.

Avionics shops are goldmines right now. It is a steep price but it is what they can get. Supply and demand. It is very steep though. I had a 430W installed in my Cessna 340 and it took one guy two days. Haven't had an issue in two years- it was a quality job. He was an honest guy and charged me 16 hours of labor. That probably equates to 60 shop hours in the current avionics landscape.

Did that include removing interior, antenna, etc?
Interior removal/reinstall on my Mooney was 5 hours alone.

not sure where you are, my avionics shop charges a flat fee of 3k ... then you choose what you want t install...430W, 530W, 650... whatever GPS you choose

not sure where you are, my avionics shop charges a flat fee of 3k ... then you choose what you want t install...430W, 530W, 650... whatever GPS you choose

Seems reasonable. A local shop and Lynx dealer installed my NGT9000, including some parts (antenna, wires, connectors, cables) and a substantial relocation of stuff in the panel for a flat $1600 labor. Like a GNS430W, the NGT9000 talks to a lot of different things behind the panel.

What is the shop's name?

What is the shop's name?

It’s local, upper Midwest, don’t recall the exact name, they don’t have a website. If you are interested, pm me your email address and I will loop you in with the guy. Based at KJKJ

how does going experimental helps with NAV? he cant fly an approach legally with an iPAD

He can install the 430W in an experimental by himself and fly any approach it an fly. For a few AMU more, he can install a glass panel/EFIS.

He can install the 430W in an experimental by himself and fly any approach it an fly. For a few AMU more, he can install a glass panel/EFIS.
ok so the recommendation is to sell his AC and buy or build an experimental and then install the 430W himself. got it

ok so the recommendation is to sell his AC and buy or build an experimental and then install the 430W himself. got it

No but I like that idea, now that you mentioned it. Anyway, I was simply responding to your previous post suggesting he could not do an IFR approach in an experimental.

No but I like that idea, now that you mentioned it. Anyway, I was simply responding to your previous post suggesting he could not do an IFR approach in an experimental.
yah I know he can, but it has to be a certificated NAV.. I wish there was something like a poor man's GPS for exp community.. but don't there is one.

Yes it has to be a certificated GPS Nav. I installed a G430w for the reason it’s being done here, cost.

But it becomes the certificated GPS that drives an Experimental EFIS (actually 3 identical units from GRT), an experimental TruTrak AP and an experimental Navworx ADSB unit I’ve been flying with for the past 5 years or so.

No magic here, just exchanging time and sweat for dollars and exploiting the FAA’s willingness to let experimenters experiment within certain boundaries.

It took some hours and effort to install but not 5-6k in cash money. I had fun doing it instead. Not for everyone.
10ba8807848be07b27d024378253801e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back