Garmin 396 vs GDL69/MX20 (x-posted on Red Board)

ggroves

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Titanium
My partner and I want weather in the cockpit. One option would be to have a Garmin GDL69 and MX20 installed to integrate with the existing 430. Initial research tells me that this upgrade will run somewhere in the neighborhood of $20K (ouch).

I want to try a Garmin 396 and semi-permanently, temporarily, neatly (you get the idea) mount it in the airplane. We can do this for around $3K plus the $50 a month for XM.

Any experiences, comments, etc out there in support of one or the other. The 396 offers a few services that the GDL69 doesn't (freezing level) and I can take it in the car, on the sailboat, and to the hotel to check weather when lacking a high speed internet connection. I'd also rather bank the additional $17K while we get our feet wet.

Greg
182RG

Greg:

We weighed the options and went with the 396 in our Baron. More capable; can take it with you for street navigation or use in another plane. The only disadvantage we saw was the loose wires in the cockpit, but we mounted it in a way that should keep them out of the way.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I would hold off on a fixed-install datalink right now. If you believe AOPA, ADS-B is the future, and that datalink capability will offer free weather and traffic info. It's too expensive right now ($7K just for the receiver), and coverage is limited to some but not all regions, but both those factors ought to improve in a few years. I look to the 396 or competing products such as NavAir or AnywhereMap as a bridge to the time that ADS-B is widespread.

XM weather is fantastic and I can't imagine going back to flying without realtime weather. However, XM as a company is just horrible. You're lucky if you can get someone who knows the first thing about the aviation services, and you'd best keep a close eye on your credit card statements from them. For now they're the best game around, but I look forward to the day someone offers a competing product.

Jon

PS If you want an entry level weather link, see my posting in the classifieds section. Write for details.

Last edited:
I just went though a similar thought process and ended up going for an Avidyne MFD with XM weather and Ryan TCAS in addition to a GNS-480 to replace my existing GPS w/map (KLN-94) and a separate navcom (KX-155). I had been using an Ipaq PDA with external GPS and considered adding XM weather, but I found that I didn't like the wiring clutter nor the small size of the display.

I also had the opportunity to borrow a GPS 396 and while I found it useful, I'm certain I'll be happier with an in panel solution. If I had room in the panel for a "permanent" mount of the 396, that might have been more attractive, but since I don't going with a 396 would mean having it sit on top of the glareshield with wires running around the side of the panel. In addition, going with the MFD provides a much larger display of XM weather as well as the moving map and it affords me the opportunity to add a readable approach chart display.

The only downsides for me of my solution (besides the additional cost) are the fact that I can't use my equipment anywhere besides the one airplane (including the XM wx subscription), and I need to stay with this airplane for at least several years to get my money's worth out of the upgrade. Mitigating the latter is that I already intended to stay with this airplane for those "several more years" unless I happen across a significant chunk of money (in which case the loss of value on my upgrade should't be as painful) as well as the fact that my airplane is in a class where this kind of equipment is considered appropriate thus minimizing the "wasted" value of the upgrade. I'm also rarely taking trips in other aircraft so the lack of portability isn't a very big issue for me although I wouldn't mind being able to view XM weather outside of the airplane when I can't get internet access.

So I guess what I'm saying is the 396 is the better solution for anyone who is likely to have a use for XM weather in multiple airplanes, or who are likely to suffer a significant monetary loss due to an early sale of the plane and/or placing an excessive portion of an airplane's value in the avionics. And even if those issues aren't a factor, if you have room to mount the unit in a way that doesn't create more clutter than you are willing to put up with or if the investment beyond the 396 price is simply unacceptable, a completely portable 396 installation is a very attractive alternative to fully a hardwired XM/MFD.

BTW based on the breakdown I got on my upgrades, I believe a "cost conscious" shop could add an MFD with XM wx for several thousand less than the figure in the post at the head of this thread.

Last edited:
Not really an apples to apples comparison. The 396 has a 480 x 320-pixel resolution with 3.8" diagonal screen. The MX20 has 640 x 480 resolution with a 6" diagonal screen (I would guess the Avidyne is similar). This is a huge difference. However, get weather in the cockpit any way you can. I wouldn't be happy flying without it now.

Lance, when will we get to see pictures of your new panel additions?

Attachments

• IMGA1325.JPG
    IMGA1325.JPG
    553.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Lance F said:
Not really an apples to apples comparison. The 396 has a 480 x 320-pixel resolution with 3.8" diagonal screen. The MX20 has 640 x 480 resolution with a 6" diagonal screen (I would guess the Avidyne is similar). This is a huge difference. However, get weather in the cockpit any way you can. I wouldn't be happy flying without it now.

Lance, when will we get to see pictures of your new panel additions?

Theoretically I get it back next Thursday. I may be too busy playing with all the new gadgetry to take pictures at first, but I'll see what I can do.

I was just quoted 7-8k ish for an MX20 add on. No GDL69 though.

We have the gdl69 and mx20 and there is no way I would trade it for a portable unit in the plane. Price wise your looking at about 11-11.5 installed which is expensive but imo a good investment.

ggroves said:
I want to try a Garmin 396 and semi-permanently, temporarily, neatly (you get the idea) mount it in the airplane. We can do this for around $3K plus the $50 a month for XM.

You want this:

AIR%20GIZMO.jpg

http://www.gulf-coast-avionics.com/detail.asp?id=6343

Remember that the 396 can also interface with a panel-mounted 530 or 430, SL30 Com, or GTX 330 transponder for additional functionality.

Greg: Weather in the cockpit is kinda messy, all that snow and rain can waterlog the seats an ruin the avionics. ... Seriously I think what Kent posted is what you are looking for. Much like the post over on AOPAs board about the 430 vs. the 480 this is going to come down to what you can afford. A 480 may be better than a 430 which may be better than a 196 well you get the picture. I think that you have found a good answer within your budget. But its still fun to drool over the mx20

Back