Garmin 375 with G5 Hsi installation costs?

southallb

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
southallb
Anyone had this done and care to share approximate costs?

We had this done a couple months ago.
(Search for a thread called "Girl meets new panel")

However, I can't speak to the install cost, because it was my husband who arranged for everything (as a surprise), and as much as *I* would like to know how many months of ramen noodles we'll be eating, I have learned over many years that I'm not sure our marriage would handle the knowledge.

I can say that it's pretty awesome tech!

I have a 355 and g5 HSI install quote if you want. Would guess the 375 would be a little more labor for the ADS-B stuff. Also I already have a G5 AI so not sure if that matters in the labor.

I have a 355 and g5 HSI install quote if you want. Would guess the 375 would be a little more labor for the ADS-B stuff. Also I already have a G5 AI so not sure if that matters in the labor.
Ballpark if you dont mind...thanks

I have quotes in the ballpark of 15-17 AMUs.

The parts alone will be in the ballpark of $13k ($5k for the dual G5s plus $8k for the 375).

Based on GTX345 installed costs, I would think a 375 install alone would be between $11K...$12K. I thought a single G5 installed runs close to $5K so pretty easy to imagine those 2 pushing $16K pretty quickly.

OP only inquired about a single G5 I think.

Mine was quoted at 12k for a 375 and 255a radio. Install for 1 G5, Air Gizmo, 375, and 255a with a new antenna install was $21k for everything.

After waiting over 4 months and not seeing a single piece of equipment, I dumped the avionics shop and found a new one.

Install begins Monday and I went with the with 2 x G5’s, 650, 345, 225 Comm, Air Gizmo for Aera 660 with bare wire install, 2nd comm antenna install for $30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I need to get certified in avionics and open up my own shop... these install prices are crazy! (although pretty standard)

I need to get certified in avionics and open up my own shop... these install prices are crazy! (although pretty standard)

Like most aviation jobs, people do them for reasons other than money. It sounds like a pile of cash for an install, but overhead is tremendous. Just ask anyone who runs a small business, and aviation is even more specialized.

Like most aviation jobs, people do them for reasons other than money. It sounds like a pile of cash for an install, but overhead is tremendous. Just ask anyone who runs a small business, and aviation is even more specialized.

I can understand that.. we own a small business as well but I think they charge what they want because they can.. overhead is one thing but charging 40 hours for a 10 hour job is rough on anyone.. I guess I am a little moody because I have had to pay for some really shoddy work in the past.

I can understand that.. we own a small business as well but I think they charge what they want because they can.. overhead is one thing but charging 40 hours for a 10 hour job is rough on anyone.. I guess I am a little moody because I have had to pay for some really shoddy work in the past.

Hard to argue with anything you just said. We should all expect and get quality work in a reasonable time frame.

but charging 40 hours for a 10 hour job is rough on anyone.

This is my gripe. I don't begrudge a shop for charging a reasonable hourly rate. I do have a problem with padding hours just to increase revenue. There's no reason Shop A can install a single Garmin G5 AI in 8 hours and another quotes 40 hours (those are real quotes I got when shopping).

This is my gripe. I don't begrudge a shop for charging a reasonable hourly rate. I do have a problem with padding hours just to increase revenue. There's no reason Shop A can install a single Garmin G5 AI in 8 hours and another quotes 40 hours (those are real quotes I got when shopping).

Which is why I am going to wait another year...once these adsb jobs start drying up, maybe the price gouging will ease up.

I'm leaning toward just one G5 for now, installed as an HSI coupled with the GNX 375. We will keep the existing nav/coms and indicators and AI, and have the G5 dedicated to the 375. Down the road, we might swap out the vacuum driven AI for a second G5. I think we can use the HSI as a back up AI if the the vacuum driven AI fails, correct? Roughly 15 k to get ADSB and to add GPS navigation and approaches while preserving VOR and ILS/LOC capabilites. Crazy?

I'm leaning toward just one G5 for now, installed as an HSI coupled with the GNX 375. We will keep the existing nav/coms and indicators and AI, and have the G5 dedicated to the 375. Down the road, we might swap out the vacuum driven AI for a second G5. I think we can use the HSI as a back up AI if the the vacuum driven AI fails, correct? Roughly 15 k to get ADSB and to add GPS navigation and approaches while preserving VOR and ILS/LOC capabilites. Crazy?

If you're already gonna be in there, the extra labor to add a G5 AI will be minimal. I'd wager it will actually cost a decent deal more later to add one than to just do it now (they're wired together, so adding one later will involve breaking open existing wiring harnesses, etc.). Plus, once you fly with the one G5, you're gonna want the second, trust me.

A 375 and dual G5’s should be around $16,000, equipment plus installation.

Sort of a narco-thread, but I am looking at a purchasing a 172M that I'd like to immediately upgrade. The aircraft currently has only a tailbeacon for ADS-B out, no GPS, a workable radio stack (dual KX-155s one linked to glideslope). I am looking at adding a GNX 375, dual G5s and a GFC500.

Based on a quote from a different avionics shop for a completely different 172 (partnership fell through), their quote was:
Dual G5s installed parts/labor - $7,600
GFC500 installed parts/labor - $10,765

But I have no idea how much the GNX375 would cost to buy and install with parts and labor. By now I figure enough people will have had this installed to get some idea of cost. Can anyone chime in on costs to put this in to a 172?

Ballpark if you dont mind...thanks
One G5, one 355, stuff that goes with it, hardware, parts and labor.....$14.5K. Did the ADSB in ‘18, the first G5 last year. Painful trying to do it all at once. I think it includes removing the vacuum system but I have to check with the other shop (across the ramp) that’ doing that part.

When I had the first G5 installed last year ( 2nd one the A&P ever did) total was $5 k for everything. I provided the G5 and antenna ( yaaa Chief!) but this year the avionics shop is doing the rest. A&P doesn’t want to touch COM gear...not qualified.

Anybody have numbers on the GNX 375 installation - parts and labor?

Anybody have numbers on the GNX 375 installation - parts and labor?
$8k parts (includes antenna), 26 hours labor (includes removal of a bunch old junk).

I'd tell you, however, marital harmony in my household necessitated that my husband didn't tell me how much it cost. So I don't actually know. (He installed a 375 + G5 + Aera660.)

I'd tell you, however, marital harmony in my household necessitated that my husband didn't tell me how much it cost. So I don't actually know. (He installed a 375 + G5 + Aera660.)
I'm in the process of putting the same combo in an experimental and I'd love to hear how you configured the data flow between them. Did you include an ARINC 429 interface (eg GAD29) and is the G5 your pressure altitude source/encoder for the 375? I have a plan but I'm always interested to hear how others did it and it's not too late for me to change to something better.

(I'm not going to share my costs 'cause it would only **** people off :cool: )

Nauga,
and a small map with many different routes

Yes, experimental costs would... nah... that actually wouldn't p*** me off. You guys get so much respect from me. Especially the builders. damn if you build your own aircraft, you are pretty much a god in my book.

This is my first aircraft purchase, so no homebuilts. Anyway... so it looks like maybe $8k for the 375+parts and then about $3k labor? Yes, I'm going to get actual quotes... just want to maybe dream/have nightmares about what I can get for around $30k. I'm hoping I can do the GNX375, dual g5s and the GFC500 installed in the 172 for around $30k. Is that crazy?

...I'd love to hear how you configured the data flow between them. Did you include an ARINC 429 interface (eg GAD29) and is the G5 your pressure altitude source/encoder for the 375?

Well, I don't know what any of those letters mean, so I asked The Husband. He says "no, and no."

Our G5 is configured to primarily serve as HSI, not AI. Although you can press a button and bring up an AI on it. But neither the G5 nor the 375 is getting barometric pressure from anywhere, is my understanding, so any altitude displayed there is GPS altitude. The G5 is connected to a magnetometer in the wing. Meanwhile, the Aera660 talks to the 375 over bluetooth.

He says there's a different model of G5 that's for using as AI as primary, and that's not the one we got.

just want to maybe dream/have nightmares about what I can get for around $30k. I'm hoping I can do the GNX375, dual g5s and the GFC500 installed in the 172 for around $30k. Is that crazy?

If you haven't heard it before... Why the hell would you buy a 172 with the expectation to throw $30k into it?

But neither the G5 nor the 375 is getting barometric pressure from anywhere, is my understanding, so any altitude displayed there is GPS altitude.
A GNX375 has to get barometric pressure from somewhere because its transponder circuitry needs to report it for Mode C operation.

Whether that's shared with the GPS/navigation circuitry or the G5 is a different story.

If you haven't heard it before... Why the hell would you buy a 172 with the expectation to throw $30k into it?

Thanks for the question. I am pretty new to all this, so maybe I'm going about it wrong. Let me answer your question with my scenario and then if you have any advice, I'd be happy to hear it. Seriously. I need advice and I just don't have a lot of friends in aviation and I am a 100 hour private pilot trying to figure things out as I go.

I want an aircraft that can get me the following: 1. Have fun flying around 2-3 hours at a time in max. I may want to do longer overall trips, but I have a.... let's say personal limitation of about 3 hours in the air (I gotta go #1 at that point... too much coffee and I'm getting old). 2. Finish up my instrument rating - I am about ten hours into this, so I have some way to go.

I am looking at 172s in about the $50k - $55k range. In general, these aircraft have mid to high total time and about 1200 hours to go until recommended overhaul. So about ten years of me flying it at a touch over 100 hours a year. 172s in this price range have good paint and good to newly redone interiors. Usually the radios are good enough (com/nav 1 and 2 with flip/flop). But they don't have upgraded GPS and Autopilot. Things that I, personally, want. I want at least a single axis autopilot. The plane I rent has one and on anything longer than a 1 hour xc, I love it. The workload reduction is significant and it just makes the flight more enjoyable. I want a waas gps so I can shoot lpv approaches when I get instrument rated. G5s aren't a requirement, but for an autopilot, I may as well upgrade at least the DG to HSI so I can put in the Garmin GFC500 which I read is an excellent autopilot.

So.... For the ~$55k cessna 172 in good shape with lots of time left on the engine, I need a GPS and an autopilot and probably upgrading the DG to a G5. So why not do the AI, too? So....

Aircraft purchase price - $55k
Dual G5s installed parts/labor - $7,600
GFC500 installed parts/labor - $10,765
GNX 375 installed parts/labor - (this is my initial question, so I'm guessing) what maybe $12K?

So that ends up being an ~$85k c172 with really good avionics, lots of time left on the engine, good paint, newish interior.

Why is that crazy? And no, nobody has asked why the hell I would by at $55k 172 and throw $30k worth of upgrades into it to bring it up to a modern IFR platform. I have seen older, less equipped 172s on TaP and Controller for >$100,000. So if I am missing something and my strategy is not sound, please (I mean it, please!) somebody give me some different, better advice.

Thanks.

A GNX375 has to get barometric pressure from somewhere because its transponder circuitry needs to report it for Mode C operation.

Whether that's shared with the GPS/navigation circuitry or the G5 is a different story.

I thought some revision of the G5 allowed it to provide the pressure altitude to other devices, I'm not sure installing a G5 without pitot/static is even allowed even if it's only an HSI. The connection diagram for the G5 certainly mentions 'EFIS/Air Data' sent from the GAD 29B to the 375.(But in usual Garmin fashion, the 375 install manual is not available to mortals.)

So if I am missing something and my strategy is not sound, please (I mean it, please!) somebody give me some different, better advice.
Hopefully your financial situation is such that "it's only money". Or the C172M in question has a 180hp engine.

Not the right timing for 172 purchase imo. High demand from flight training operators riding small margins have put artificial pressure on resale of pre-restart 172s across the board. For the same money, one would be better off with a myriad of higher performing choices, even if one is intent on sinking stupid TV screen and doodad money into those tin cans as well.

Excellent points about the timing not being great. And, no, I'm not in the situation where I can just light money on fire. Any recommendations then on something higher performance (maybe greater load) for the same money with the same avionics as I'm looking for? I really do appreciate all the advice!

Back