Garmin 345x adsb in update

Glenn C

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Glenn C
I was reading about an update to the 345x that is required to get the new expanded weather being sent up with adsb in. Is this a user type upgrade or do you have to take it to a shop?

I was reading about an update to the 345x that is required to get the new expanded weather being sent up with adsb in. Is this a user type upgrade or do you have to take it to a shop?
Garmin avionics dealer.

I'm told by my shop, that the 345 must be removed for firmware update. To put it back in, the transponders part of the 345 had to be retested and verified.

So I'm guessing $$$?
Assuming the USB dongle was installed, that cones in the install kit, there shouldn't be any reason to remove it from the airplane.

Dealers can bill whatever they want which shouldn't more than a hour.

What USB dongle? I just look at all the manuals to confirm there is a USB port/Dongle. Nope. The only thing on software/firmware update I could find, reference a dealer installation tool that is used to update the 345.

Please point me in the right direct to USB/Dongle because I've been waiting to update my 345 until the next transponder test.

BTW, I didn't see a USB/dongle interface on any of the schematics.

Good grief! Only about three months ago I wrote a big five figure check for my 345. You mean in order for it to keep up with new services it has to be removed and sent to Garmin for update? This pathetic! This a penalty for early adoption! They are using us for Guinea Pigs at our expense!

What USB dongle? I just look at all the manuals to confirm there is a USB port/Dongle. Nope. The only thing on software/firmware update I could find, reference a dealer installation tool that is used to update the 345.

Please point me in the right direct to USB/Dongle because I've been waiting to update my 345 until the next transponder test.

BTW, I didn't see a USB/dongle interface on any of the schematics.

Where are you looking? Try GTX-3X5 TSO Installation Manual 190-01499-02 Page D-3, shows right there USB type B connector that is connected to P3251 using contact locations 44, 2, 24, and 45... If a dealer missed the USB I'd be looking for warranty to pay for it.

Last edited:
Good grief! Only about three months ago I wrote a big five figure check for my 345. You mean in order for it to keep up with new services it has to be removed and sent to Garmin for update? This pathetic! This a penalty for early adoption! They are using us for Guinea Pigs at our expense!

How did you come to that conclusion? You need a Garmin dealer to do the update because they are the only ones who will have access to the manuals and software to do it, has nothing to do with sending the radio to Garmin. It is no different if you needed a GTN updated.

Last edited:
We are in the process of evaluating what transponder to get for ADS-B in/out. One of the "pluses" the Appereo guy mentioned is they use the portable Stratus plugged into ships power for ADS-B in. Easy updates were the reason he said they use the Stratus vs built in hardware in the transponder. I read in another POA thread - the downside to the Stratus - is it prevents the ADS-B in data from being displayed on a certified, panel mount GPS.
Don't beat yourself up too much - there is a lot of nuance to the ADS-B upgrades. Every time I think I figured out the correct solution, a new wrinkle appears.

Okay, my avionics shop said that it was no big deal. They can download the update through the USB port. I have spent so much money on Garmin stuff recently I am getting punchy. Dealing with Garmin is sort of like dealing with a greedy Pharoah.

Technically, there is no reason that avionics could not be made user upgradeable by putting a USB port on the front or using an existing memory card slot. The avionics can do its own integrity checks, so if a user somehow goofs up an upgrade, it can always go back to the dealer for repair.

I'm reminded of more complex consumer products, like cameras, etc. where some manufacturers were reluctant to allow users to complete a simple upgrade process using an appropriate binary file and memory device. It would improve safety if avionics devices could be more simply, readily and frequently updated to fix errors and bugs.

Updates to Garmin hardware is always free but dealers - yes you have to take it to one - have the option to charge for their time to perform the update (according to the training I went to last month in Olathe, KS).

Updates to Garmin hardware is always free but dealers - yes you have to take it to one - have the option to charge for their time to perform the update (according to the training I went to last month in Olathe, KS).

How can the software be free when everyone claims they are blood thirsty thieves?

(I have never claimed they are. For the most part they have a decent system and I won't complain at such cheap, and optional ongoing software engineering and upgrades. Don't want to pay a dealer for the time you don't have to get software updated unless mandated by an AD)

Where are you looking? Try GTX-3X5 TSO Installation Manual 190-01499-02 Page D-3, shows right there USB type B connector that is connected to P3251 using contact locations 44, 2, 24, and 45... If a dealer missed the USB I'd be looking for warranty to pay for it.

OK, I stand corrected. I found the USB port. Funny when I did a search for USB in the documentation it didn't show up, but when I manual search page by page, I did find it.

Wow. The cost of the 345 must have gone up dramatically in the past year. I paid less than $7k to have mine installed in the Bo. And that included a dual port panel mounted USB adapter.

Is the new data (lightning ect) available now? I haven't seen anything saying it is going to work with the Stratus ESG for example..

Which version of the software are we talking about? The only version I see is 2.12, which is from January. If you had a recent install, you should already have this.

My avionics guy came to the hangar yesterday to install my 430W just back from Garmin. Actually they scrapped mine and gave me an exchange unit. I had a 430 W in place that was loaned to me by my son in law. I asked the avionics tech about the 345 firmware revision. It has 2.12 and he thinks it is the latest and greatest.

I talked to the local avionincs guy and they said about a hundred bucks to do the upgrade unless they installed it in which case it would be free. Can't really blame Garmin for this one as it was the government that added features to the ADSB IN weather, not Garmin. I imagine my Stratux will need some help now too.

One of the reasons I like Garmin is their reputation of improving their products and making no-cost software upgrades available to owners years later. Yes, you need to pay your Av shop to upload the update, but the cost is very low and don't do it if you don't want the new capability. Get to know your av shop and make friends. They will frequently make the updates for you at no charge.

For one, I'm thankful I bought a product from a company that continuously improves product features, and makes these new features available years after I bought that product.

Last edited:
Back