Garmin 345 antennas

Steven Nichols

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Steven N
We just had a Garmin 345 transponder installed. It should have two antennas for diversity. One on top and one below but I don’t see them. Seems to works fine (Bluetooth, hard wired to 530 still being debugged).

I can’t see any new antennas and google has failed to tell me what to look for. Shop isn’t local so I figured I’d ask before I call them.

Anyone have a picture ?

Thx

SN

Are you sure you have the diversity model? Those only recently came on the market and I’m not sure they are even shipping them yet? The lower antenna is an L band antenna, typically a blade or rod and ball. Likely just replaced whatever existing l-band antenna you had for the old transponder. I haven’t seen an install manual for the diversity models yet, so I’m not sure what they spec for the upper antenna, but probably the same.

Are you sure you have the diversity model? Those only recently came on the market and I’m not sure they are even shipping them yet? The lower antenna is an L band antenna, typically a blade or rod and ball. Likely just replaced whatever existing l-band antenna you had for the old transponder. I haven’t seen an install manual for the diversity models yet, so I’m not sure what they spec for the upper antenna, but probably the same.

I thought I was not I am not sure.

Is this going on your piston single GA airplane? Or your Gulfstream 650?

Most light GA installations in the USA seem to be bottom antenna only.

I thought I was not I am not sure.

I think the press release for the 335D/345D announcement said late q2 2019, which would put it around now-ish, so it’s possible, but I hadn’t seen any news announcing they were shipping (not that they would announce it I guess). Out of curiosity, is it possible there was a communication breakdown and the “dual band in” got incorrectly described as diversity?

We just had a Garmin 345 transponder installed. It should have two antennas for diversity. One on top and one below but I don’t see them. Seems to works fine (Bluetooth, hard wired to 530 still being debugged).

I can’t see any new antennas and google has failed to tell me what to look for. Shop isn’t local so I figured I’d ask before I call them.

Anyone have a picture ?

Thx

SN

Unless you specifically asked for and were quoted diversity, you probably didn't get it. I would guess that diversity would be another $1k over a standard, just for the unit.

It was a miscommunication between my partner and I. We paid for and got a 345 without diversity. That’s a $3000 option. (Yikes).

It works so I’m otherwise happy. Thanks for the answers. I appreciate the guidance.

I guess I’ll stay out of Canada.

It was a miscommunication between my partner and I. We paid for and got a 345 without diversity. That’s a $3000 option. (Yikes).

It works so I’m otherwise happy. Thanks for the answers. I appreciate the guidance.

I guess I’ll stay out of Canada.

Unless you fly above 18,000 ft after January 1, 2021, there is absolutely no reason for you to stay out of Canada. I don't understand why this mis-information keeps coming up?

Right now it's Canadians wanting to fly their planes in controlled airspace in the USA after 01.01.2020 that are having to install ADS-B Out.

Nobody else there needs it in their small plane to fly in Canada, and neither do you, except to fly in Class A airspace (18,000 ft or higher in southern Canada) AFTER 01.01.2021.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...090es-to-fly-into-canada.119003/#post-2744208

Last edited:
Maybe because it’s the first line in every article If you google adsb canada

It's on the internet. It must be right, then. :rolleyes:

Both Nav Canada and AOPA seem to be feeding off each other, in a bit of a frenzy right now. It's comical to be honest.

It's on the internet. It must be right, then. :rolleyes:

Both Nav Canada and AOPA seem to be feeding off each other, in a bit of a frenzy right now. It's comical to be honest.

Point taken.

Regardless, nav Canada is making it worse because they either can’t
Or won’t explain their reasons for it.

...Regardless, nav Canada is making it worse because they either can’t
Or won’t explain their reasons for it.

Agree with you completely.

It's all politics, just like the FAA sometimes. :( NavCanada is pushing it only because it wants to cut costs by shutting down radar. Aviation won't see any of those savings; it'll all be eaten up in the bureaucracy no doubt.

Fortunately Transport Canada is currently satisfied with a voluntary program of installations with the commercial air operators that fly North Atlantic (it enables more efficient routing and spacing for them), and others that want better remote region surveillance for SAR response. TC is studying it, but its notices make it clear it has no current plans to extend mandatory ADS-B Out beyond Class A airspace. Given the large swaths of sparsely populated geography in Canada, I would venture a guess the SAR thing will be the best motivation for some private Canadian owners to eventually consider installing ADS-B Out.

Back in the 1980s, before GPS was common, I had two friends disappear in northern Canada, one in a 182 and another in a Bonanza. No trace has been found of either airplane or the occupants.

Agree with you completely.

Back in the 1980s, before GPS was common, I had two friends disappear in northern Canada, one in a 182 and another in a Bonanza. No trace has been found of either airplane or the occupants.

Sorry to hear that. No closure for the families is awful.

Back