Garmin 215

Llewtrah381

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Llewtrah
Welp, back to square 1.

I have an old MAC 1700 as my nav/comm and it’s starting to get wonky, so time to replace it. I had been doing my homework and, at first, was leaning towards the Garmin 255 but at OSH I compared it to the Trig TX56A and came away favoring that one: it’ll show you the radial for a standby Nav, for example.

I called a shop I’ve worked with before to chat about it and he told me they recently announced the Garmin 215 and are apparently phasing out the 225. The 215 will have that same feature, is in color, and will more closely match much of the rest of the stack (including my 355).

The 215’s aren’t shipping just yet but that looks like the way I’m suddenly leaning. It’s still about $500 more than the Trig, though.

Anyone have any other insights on the 215?

Yes.
Thanks. I had searched for “215” before posting and nothing came up. Missed that thread

It appears in Garmins attempt to update the nav/com they removed the intercom functionality of the 255. Not a big deal if you already have an audio panel or intercom but if your goal is saving panel space the 205/215 may not work for your needs. The Trig radio keeps the slim features with a built in intercom.

I have heard on another forum that the 215 DOES have an intercom.

I have heard on another forum that the 215 DOES have an intercom.
I saw that somewhere else as well, but the pilots guide makes no mention of it. It's also not mentioned on the Garmin website. I asked a vendor that advertised it on day one and they stated no intercom function with the 205 or 215.

OK

Too bad, it would be a nice option when the King 155 in my CAP-10 dies. But still not bad without it.

OK

Too bad, it would be a nice option when the King 155 in my CAP-10 dies. But still not bad without it.
I can admit when I might be wrong. I heard from another installer that the installation manual shows an intercom function. It's a mono intercom and not stereo but if he is correct my initial gripe is no longer valid. Seems weird to me though that Garmin wouldn't advertise that functionality of it.

It appears in Garmins attempt to update the nav/com they removed the intercom functionality of the 255. Not a big deal if you already have an audio panel or intercom but if your goal is saving panel space the 205/215 may not work for your needs. The Trig radio keeps the slim features with a built in intercom.
That would make no sense if the intent was to replace the 225, which has an excellent intercom.

Welp, back to square 1.

I have an old MAC 1700 as my nav/comm and it’s starting to get wonky, so time to replace it. I had been doing my homework and, at first, was leaning towards the Garmin 255 but at OSH I compared it to the Trig TX56A and came away favoring that one: it’ll show you the radial for a standby Nav, for example.

I called a shop I’ve worked with before to chat about it and he told me they recently announced the Garmin 215 and are apparently phasing out the 225. The 215 will have that same feature, is in color, and will more closely match much of the rest of the stack (including my 355).

The 215’s aren’t shipping just yet but that looks like the way I’m suddenly leaning. It’s still about $500 more than the Trig, though.

Anyone have any other insights on the 215?

Just got word last week that I am being upgraded to the 215 as they stopped shipping the 255 in December/January.... The shop is supposed to know today or tomorrow when the 215 will start shipping..

Everything else is done, we're just waiting on the 215 to come in.

I can admit when I might be wrong. I heard from another installer that the installation manual shows an intercom function. It's a mono intercom and not stereo but if he is correct my initial gripe is no longer valid. Seems weird to me though that Garmin wouldn't advertise that functionality of it.

That functionality is not showing up in the owner's manual.. Odd!

Attachments

• 190-02766-02_a.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
Just got word last week that I am being upgraded to the 215 as they stopped shipping the 255 in December/January.... The shop is supposed to know today or tomorrow when the 215 will start shipping..

Everything else is done, we're just waiting on the 215 to come in.

That functionality is not showing up in the owner's manual.. Odd!
My thoughts exactly. I looked both on the website and in the pilots guide but see no reference of it. After griping about it in another forum a Garmin installer informed me it's in the install manual. Hopefully he is correct as I'd like to add a slim nav/com to the Colt in the future, but I also want it to have a built-in intercom as I have no need for a four-place intercom and if I can save panel space I'd like to leave the room for an iPad mini if I want to mount it on the panel.

My thoughts exactly. I looked both on the website and in the pilots guide but see no reference of it. After griping about it in another forum a Garmin installer informed me it's in the install manual. Hopefully he is correct as I'd like to add a slim nav/com to the Colt in the future, but I also want it to have a built-in intercom as I have no need for a four-place intercom and if I can save panel space I'd like to leave the room for an iPad mini if I want to mount it on the panel.

From what I understand you're going to need an audio panel if you have a second comm. If you know differently, let me know.

That is true, but my idea is to go with a single nav/com that has the monitor function. Maybe I'm thinking of putting too many eggs in one basket but I see no reason to have multiple radios if I can monitor the standby freq on a single unit.

Trig TX56A has nav/com and built in intercom.

Anyone have access to the install manual for the GNC-215?

Well the 215 found it way to my avionics shop and is installed. Everything should be calibrated and tested today and tomorrow...

IMG_2865.jpg

Well the 215 found it way to my avionics shop and is installed. Everything should be calibrated and tested today and tomorrow...

View attachment 128092
Nice! It goes so well with the GNX375 that I almost didn't see it.

My only concern is that the menu button is squeezed in pretty tight between the two knobs. I suppose that isn't really something that is pressed all that often, though.

My friend recently installed one, and they're chasing a weird issue. Every time he transmits, no matter what frequency, it also transmits on 121.5.

You might want to check that when you do your testing!

My friend recently installed one, and they're chasing a weird issue. Every time he transmits, no matter what frequency, it also transmits on 121.5.

Between that and your JPI 930 issue, you might want to check that your airfield is not built on an old Indian burial ground or something.

You don't have any bunkers on the airfield with a door labeled Dharma Initiative, do you?

You might want to check that when you do your testing!
Any chance is second COM is tuned to 121.5 and someone hooked up the com interlock wrong and it's just both radios transmitting? I just did a 215 recent without issues, it's a nice little unit.

Back