Garmin 195 question.

Fatherof2

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fatherof2
Hi Gang,

I have been away from flying for 17+ years and have recently gotten back in. I used to have a 195 when it first came out. I see them on Ebay now for 50 bucks. (I think I paid 1200 at Sun-n-Fun back in the mid 90's.) The one I looked at today had not been updated in 10 years. I called Garmin and got someone in India. The guy I spoke with said they don't support it anymore. Is it possible to get it updated? The unit worked great for me back then and I sure like the price.

If this wont work, can someone recommend the best bang for the buck in a hand held unit?

Thanks All!

If you don't need a certified unit, the best bang for the buck is a free app like Avare on a smartphone or tablet.

There are a ton of old garmin hand held units out there. I still have my 296 which I can update from the lap top, Although I probably haven't used it in 2 years. You can get something like that for a less than $500 or you can get a decent garmin touch screen portable for around $500. If you have an iPad or similar tablet you can download something like Fltplan Go for free and use that, although you will have to enter your route on the website which in turn down loads to your tablet.

for $100 you can get a multi year subscription of every American airport chart and plate and get the app to run it on an iPad.....like WingX.

Sorry...but that 195 is outdated. You'd be lucky to get $50 on ebay. I gave mine away a few years ago.

I'd be trying to go a little more modern. Used 796's go for about $1k on eBay, or slightly less.

Back