GAO report: Pilot Pay Too Low

I consider this unintended consequence a good one. Choking the supply of wonderkids willing to work for 20K/yr is a GOOD thing for the industry. BFE is not owed 6 departures a day. Sometimes it pays to look at things from outside the spectrum of your personal desires as a simpleton consumer...

What's actually more relevant about this report, is that the government actually correctly debunks in this report the myth of a pilot shortage. Whereas most people would expect lay people to not understand the economic idiosyncrasies of niche labor industries like the airline world, here they did a pretty good job of highlighting how disingenuous regional airlines are when espousing belly aching about pilot shortages, as the government retorts back with the correct assertion that mainline is not having a problem recruiting. Ergo, just because you can't find your new ferrari for 19,999 doesnt mean there's a shortage of current and qualified new ferraris. Furthermore, the government asserts this in order to reinforce a position that does not deem necessary any foolishness regarding opening up visas for foreign pilots, which again is a good thing for the domestic airline pilot. Im with govco on this one bud.

Last edited:
Great Lakes is a child of the federal government and a waste of taxpayer money. I think that they are large or completely an Essential Air Service carrier meaning our tax dollars are subsidizing flights to places that offer no economic justification for having scheduled airline service. EAS was supposed to be a temporary program after deregulation in order to ease the transition to a market economy in the airline industry. Of course, like any government hand out, it never went away. The requirement of having more experienced pilots and other market forces may finally end EAS, which would be a good thing. That is the real unintended consequence. Raising the amounts that the airlines have to pay for new pilots is an intended consequence.

It is time that the airlines paid more for a new FO than Walmart pays for a janitor.

Nah Walmart janitors produce more value for America.:lol:

Would you care to ride in the back with a Walmart janitor flying? I can arrange that. It will be a short trip. :yes:
Nobody needs to fly these routes, America needs clean Walmarts.:)

That assumes that we need Walmarts. :)

Back