Gained the high performance endorsement...

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
... this morning. Sure, it's a small thing, but I still feel proud that someone certified to make this assessment has agreed that I am capable handling the extra power.

Next up on the menu - complex gear. I spoke to him and we will combine that with IFR training for maximum cost-effectiveness. I'll take it easy but hope to be able to pass my IFR checkride sometime in March or April, maybe.

At that point I'll consider multi, but not sure yet whether I care enough to do it.

Awesome! I got my high-performance in a Cessna 182T, along with my BFR this year. Sadly, I still can't rent it yet solo due to insurance requirements.

I got my complex along with a multi-engine add on in a Piper Seminole.

I can claim insurance minimums keep me from flying both of those, but truth is, the rental cost doesnt help either.

I got my complex along with a multi-engine add on in a Piper Seminole.

I can claim insurance minimums keep me from flying both of those, but truth is, the rental cost doesnt help either.

A Seminole, huh? wish I could find one to train in so I could do complex and multi at the same time, like you did... unfortunately, the only one I COULD rent in my airport is from my FBO, and their rates are high plus I have to use a school instructor. Might do it anyway, but my club has a retract (though not multi) which is significantly cheaper to run.

As to rental rates: my club's 182P goes for $127/hour wet. That's eminently reasonable; I doubt I'd be able to manage my own plane had I owned a comparable one to that level of efficiency.

That 182P is cheaper than any of the 172's where I rent! Currently, the 172sp is $142/hr wet!

That 182P is cheaper than any of the 172's where I rent! Currently, the 172sp is $142/hr wet!

Yeah... our 172M goes for $90/hr. Makes for very economical flying. And believe it or not, this does include an adequate engine reserve. The guys running the club really are very good at doing it, and with 60 odd members for four planes, I never seem to have trouble getting a plane when I need one - especially now, when I can take the 182 out as well.

A 182P. When I first took the yoke, it felt like a beast... now it's like a pussycat.

That's exactly how I felt the first time I flew our club's 182P. Quite a bit more airplane than the 172 I was used to. Now, the 182 feels just fine. It just takes some time getting used to it.

A Seminole, huh? wish I could find one to train in so I could do complex and multi at the same time, like you did... unfortunately, the only one I COULD rent in my airport is from my FBO, and their rates are high plus I have to use a school instructor. Might do it anyway, but my club has a retract (though not multi) which is significantly cheaper to run.

As to rental rates: my club's 182P goes for $127/hour wet. That's eminently reasonable; I doubt I'd be able to manage my own plane had I owned a comparable one to that level of efficiency.

It was expensive. I did my entire Multi engine rating in 6 hours and havent flown it since. Do I feel safe? Not right now... I bought block time, 10 hours at $250 an hour. Then + 40 for instructor...

The 182T I rented, was $197 an hour, then + $40 for instructor.

Congrats. I remember my high perf endorsement. Good times!

Next up on the menu - complex gear. I spoke to him and we will combine that with IFR training for maximum cost-effectiveness. I'll take it easy but hope to be able to pass my IFR checkride sometime in March or April, maybe.

At that point I'll consider multi, but not sure yet whether I care enough to do it.

I'll be doing exactly the same thing. I found a place that has rental C172RG and will be doing part of instrumental training in it to cover required 5 hours of dual.

I'll be doing exactly the same thing. I found a place that has rental C172RG and will be doing part of instrumental training in it to cover required 5 hours of dual.

A rental 172RG? cool. That's gotta be cheaper than the 182RG I'll be flying in ($152/hr). But I do want to get both the endorsement and, of course, the training.

Seems like my first official IFR lesson is next Sunday. I'm both excited and feeling somewhat intimidated... from all I hear, this rating is even harder to gain than the original PPL - and that was hard enough to do what with having a pretty busy life otherwise.

Congrats. I look forward to the day (hopefully soon) of adding some additional endorsements to my certificate. I was think ME +hp/complex all in one shot. Hopefully a decent bonus comes at the end of the year if I can hit my sales goals.

Again, congrats on the endorsement.

Congrats. I look forward to the day (hopefully soon) of adding some additional endorsements to my certificate. I was think ME +hp/complex all in one shot. Hopefully a decent bonus comes at the end of the year if I can hit my sales goals.

Again, congrats on the endorsement.

Thank you.

I thought the same, since the club has a 182RG, but was cautioned off it by multiple people who know better. Having now gone through the hp, I must agree; the learning curve is pretty steep in a completely unexpected way. I am GLAD I didn't insist on doing complex at the same time, it would have been very frustrating.

A rental 172RG? cool. That's gotta be cheaper than the 182RG I'll be flying in ($152/hr). But I do want to get both the endorsement and, of course, the training.

Seems like my first official IFR lesson is next Sunday. I'm both excited and feeling somewhat intimidated... from all I hear, this rating is even harder to gain than the original PPL - and that was hard enough to do what with having a pretty busy life otherwise.
I flew C182 for last couple month and really like it.
C172RG is $122/hour block time compared to C172 $100/hour. The only problem with C172RG it does not have GPS. C172 does have GNS530 and autopilot. I'm planning to fly C172RG enough to be able to rent it solo and then switch to C172 to get familiar with GPS. That way I'll cover everything that my "ideal" plane should have - C182RG with GPS and autopilot:rolleyes:

I have been flying my friends Cardinal alot lately, I thought it cant be much better then my 172 but I found it is. I like the 182 but the Cardinal is wider and my pax are comfortable in it. The stabilater took some time to get use to.

Congrats. I think the learning curve of just getting checked out in a new plane is almost as steep as getting a complex and HP endorsement. I did mine in a Debonair. Which, is both fun and easy to fly, and has the most awkward control layout I've ever seen. The stepless flap system is horrid.

Back