GAD13 to share temp probe with CGR-30

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Can the GAD13 be wired as such to use the OAT input from the probe that is wired to a CGR-30?
Or in other words can the CGR OAT probe provide input to the CGR and the GAD13 or do I need 2 OAT probes?

Can the GAD13 be wired as such to use the OAT input from the probe that is wired to a CGR-30?
Or in other words can the CGR OAT probe provide input to the CGR and the GAD13 or do I need 2 OAT probes?

In general OAT probes can't be electrically shared. Typically the device that drives it supplies a voltage and then measures the current that it draws to determine the temperature, so you can't use a parallel circuit.

However, the CGR-30P does output FADC data in Shadin S format over RS232. Perhaps you can distribute the data to whatever what would have otherwise consumed it from the GAD13?

You can't share the OAT probe unfortunately, and assuming you want the GAD13 to get winds on the G5, there is no way to get the OAT to the G5's from the CGR. So you would need 2 probes.

You can't share the OAT probe unfortunately, and assuming you want the GAD13 to get winds on the G5, there is no way to get the OAT to the G5's from the CGR. So you would need 2 probes.
You can feed the FADC from the CGR-30P to a GTN over RS232 using Shadin S format. The GTN won't share with the G5?

You can feed the FADC from the CGR-30P to a GTN over RS232 using Shadin S format. The GTN won't share with the G5?
When the GAD for the G5 first came out, I asked, as I had just put a JPI in, the answer was no.

No, the only feeds from the GTN to the G5/GAD29 is RS232 MapMX for position, and ARINC 429 for GPS nav and VHF nav, none of which currently carry OAT in the protocols they are using. They could come up with some other proprietary protocol extension (they already have the GARMIN 429 protocol with additional VNAV labels) to get it there (and software change on the GAD29 side to read it and put it on the CANBUS for the G5), or perhaps enable the RS232 on the GAD29 with the ability to take the feed from a JPI or EI unit, but I don't really see either of those as likely, unfortunately.

I have a probe for JPI and had to get another probe for G5, thankfully that G5 can supply the OAT DATA to other G devices

Back