Gad it's cold

bbchien

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bruce C
Flew to Waterloo tonight to retrieve my Student who left his Archer at McCandless.

Man is it cold out there. Half an hour on the ramp with cowl plugs and the engines were only "somewhat" warm. Baro was 30.45!!!!

Froze my toes putting the a/c away. ALO looks like the surface of the moon, which of course vanished right about the time we landed.

Un bereevable!

yea bruce I had to dress nice for my interview today. Legs were pretty much numb on the walk to class this morning. Forecast high was -1 degF but I think it got a few degrees warmer than that (heat wave!)

Don't I know it! I have to take Valentine the Wonder Rat Dog for a walk momentarily, and it's cold- 65F now, and likely to drop to 64 before the walk is over.

Brrrr!

Just got back from walking our two, and got to see a good part of the lunar eclipse -- kinda neat.

It's 1 here this morning. Come on summer.

Spike, you need to spend a winter in N Dakota or Maine or some place very cold!

Its snowing in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Made me call my night early.

I've been dead for the past few days (bad case of the flu - 102.7 deg fever), so my temperature scale has been off. This morning I went out to put the dog out and thought "Geez, it sure feels cold out" but not as bad as it's felt the past few days when it's been ~25. Got in the truck to drive to work and it said 9F. "Ahh, that's why it feels cold, because it is."

In addition:

Dear Spike,

I hate you.

Love,
Ted

I was supposed to do my BFR this morning, and for a change the weather cooperated. But I had to scrub because I realized that it would take 3 hours to warm up the engine.

Ahh well, I could go with the Tanis heaters and all that jazz, but for one flight every two years I think I'll save my money.

<begin Pathetic geek story>

I have a compass with indoor and outdoor temperature on the dash of the black Sable. I put the outdoor temp sensor inside the driver's side fender just ahead of the door hinge.

Last week I moved the car while I was clearing the and ice snow from the driveway. The air temperature was 9 degrees. The sun was out for the first time this month. The sun is south. The car was west of the house pointed west.

The temps: Inside 34 degrees. Outside 105 degrees.

Huh.

<end pathetic geek story>

Last edited:
'Twas 43 in Anchor Town yesterday. I can smell spring! Oh, wait, nope. That's another cold snap and 3 feet of snow I smell.

70 degrees and no more of this ugly ice would be great!

I almost slipped going to class today! You really start to learn which types of surfaces are more prone to holding onto ice.

Last edited:
tristan - i practically ice skate to and from class.

something like this:

how do you embed youtube videos?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wished I had taken my digital Cameral to Waterloo last night. The airport looks like the surface of the moon......

I wished I had taken my digital Cameral to Waterloo last night. The airport looks like the surface of the moon......

If it would even work in the cold. I've had trouble with one of mine when it's below 20F.

It was in the 20's here in DC this morning, and I was stuck taking Metro as I had a 7:30 breakfast - heck if I'm paying twice for parking - and the readers at the train station refused to read my smartcard. Station manager held it in front of a space heater for 15-20 seconds and it then worked. Sheesh.

I can believe it, Bruce. I drove to Marshalltown (SW of ALO) last night and back home this morning. I can't believe how much snow/ice they have over in that direction! It's amazing what 30 miles difference can make. They can keep it as far as I'm concerned.

It was -15F at my house this morning. But we have sun today(Yahoo!) and now the temp is up to a balmy +21F

Barb

PS: Dear Spike,

I hate you, too!

Love,
Barb :D

clear and warm today, here in balmy Puget Sound 55 degrees today I finally got some painting done. and worked in the hangar a little.

I declare winter over. my dafies are ready to bloom.

Left very comfortable ATL at o'dark thirty this morning and took AirTran up to Dayton. When I heard the temp, I instantly remembered why I moved from Illinois to the sunny south.
The Lear 25 we flew back provided a hasty return to sanity:yes:.
Bruce, I'm content to leave the moonscapes to Neil Armstrong and his buddies where they belong.

It's a balmy 21F up here in Chicago tonight... :D
But it's been colder... I'm pretty sure my camera froze when I was out on the waterfront the other day.

The cold does not bother me, but what really messes with me are the short daylight hours. Psychologically.

The cold does not bother me, but what really messes with me are the short daylight hours. Psychologically.

I agree. I'm better this winter than last winter, but for my job during the darkest winter months I get to work before the sun is up and get home after it's set. During those times, I never see my house during the daylight except on weekends! Definitely not good on my general feelings of wellness.

I have a friend who lives in northern Norway, and says that in the winter there people exhibit very high incidences of "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (S.A.D.). No joke - for those who don't know that is actually deemed by the psychological world as a diagnosable disorder.

It's all in your mind... if you have one. :)

I agree. I'm better this winter than last winter, but for my job during the darkest winter months I get to work before the sun is up and get home after it's set. During those times, I never see my house during the daylight except on weekends! Definitely not good on my general feelings of wellness.

I have a friend who lives in northern Norway, and says that in the winter there people exhibit very high incidences of "Seasonal Affective Disorder" (S.A.D.). No joke - for those who don't know that is actually deemed by the psychological world as a diagnosable disorder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/seasonal-affective-disorder/DS00195

I feel a lot better now that we've had some days of sun. We hadsomething like a total 11 minutes of sun up to early to mid-February

I sprung for a light box, but this winter it's buried a bit under the stuff that was moved.

Now if I just remember to use it.

Dear Spike,

I don't hate you, but I feel your pain. Everyone else is about to hate me too...

Love,
PJ

Got cold today - high temps from the weekend and yesterday were mid-70's... today is only 62F. Should break out of this cold snap tomorrow when it's back up to the 70's :).

Why not Kenny? Nothing wrong with a bald *****. Yep, guess I just went there.

Back