GA "needs"

Yes, and similarly to the space industry, if the private sector has been allowed a bit more freedom from the start, we'd be decades ahead of where we are. One of the questions I posed was "where would the cost of launch or technology of tourism be if the private sector were allowed to access to space from the beginning".

Now we have homebrew stratus like devices popping up, etc. There's not a big enough audience to want to hack a 430 and figure out proprietary formatting, but maybe one day.

Yep, and in the mean time I'll continue to fly /G with my once every 18-24 month updated database and a tablet I can update for free on my lap. Isn't "rational economic incentive behavior" awesome?:D

Unfortunately one size DOESN'T fit all prices are "wacked" all across the board. Pricing hangars here in my area of Florida it's about 600-800 dollars a month just to rent one. I just took a trip to New York and you can't drive over a bridge without spending 8-15 dollars in tolls. Just starting out as a young person I can imagine is pretty tough.

Why would you want to live in such places.

We're 200-250 for a nice new big hangar, cost of living is super low, 100LL is self serve most places, little to zero crime.

Moving to NYC, you got to get your head checked ;)

Yep, and in the mean time I'll continue to fly /G with my once every 18-24 month updated database and a tablet I can update for free on my lap. Isn't "rational economic incentive behavior" awesome?:D

You're flying approaches without a current database in the certified equipment?

What the worse that could happen.... oh yeah...never mind

6788302_orig.jpg

We're 200-250 for a nice new big hangar, cost of living is super low, 100LL is self serve most places, little to zero crime.

Moving to NYC, you got to get your head checked ;)

Didn't have any choice in the matter, I was born in New York have to visit family there on occasion.

I currently live next to 48x (Manatee Airport which is a grass strip) Inquired about hangar costs there but didn't receive an answer.

You're flying approaches without a current database in the certified equipment?

Considering the open nature of the internet, I do have to ask: is that a serious question or were you trying to make a point I missed?

Considering the open nature of the internet, I do have to ask: is that a serious question or were you trying to make a point I missed?

You made it sound like you are flying approaches without a current database in your certified equipment. I'm wondering if that is actually the case.

Sometimes, that's where a person's best employment opportunity is. People also might want to live near other family members, or just like what a place has to offer other than cheap hangars.

You made it sound like you are flying approaches without a current database in your certified equipment. I'm wondering if that is actually the case.
Did I miss a post where he said he was flying IFR on a /G basis?

That certainly wasn't my intent. I find it a bit facetious you would ask that question in an open internet forum with any expectation of anyone ever answering you in the positive, but I'm willing to write it off as not understanding your style of sarcasm in written form.

No, of course I do not shoot GPS approaches under IFR rules with an expired database. I would however, have no hesitation in doing so in the event I needed to exercise my emergency PIC authority.

The ability to file and fly direct is the primary value I derive from my panel mount GPS. That saves me some money from the grips of the avionics cartel.

Did I miss a post where he said he was flying IFR on a /G basis?

You didn't. I do file /G, because I can.

Sometimes, that's where a person's best employment opportunity is. People also might want to live near other family members, or just like what a place has to offer other than cheap hangars.

There are a handful of third world countries I'd live in before places like NYC or Chicago

That certainly wasn't my intent. I find it a bit facetious you would ask that question in an open internet forum with any expectation of anyone ever answering you in the positive, but I'm willing to write it off as not understanding your style of sarcasm in written form.

Anybody can ask anything they like. And people have admitted to far worse around here and elsewhere on the Net. YouTube videos are particularly helpful for investigators when people are stupid enough to post reckless things.

You can blame me for the dotcom bust in 2000. I cashed everything out about 2 weeks before it started. I'm pretty sure that was the trigger.
Blowing a thousand dollars I was willing to lose on two stocks I liked, despite the doom/gloom of the January 2003 stock dump paid for my daughter's college, and a big chunk of our retirement. If only I hadn't sold more than half of the good one when it tripled a little later, I'd be SET...

Back