GA - Legal to Carry...

I didn't read anywhere in the article that said she had to sue to get her money back. And it said the judge ordered her cash be returned. That's very similar to the example I provided. The link was only one page long so it's possible I didn't see the whole story. I agree that she should get her money back. I think it's asinine that anybody would have to sue to get property back if that was the case. I will say that it's HIGHLY unusual for people to travel with that amount of currency and it would prompt most reasonable people to suspect something's going on.

From my ground level perspective, asset forfeiture does not happen very often. In fact, since transferring to my current station 5 years ago I haven't heard of one case locally. Maybe it's because my agency is pretty conservative and there is a ton of red tape involved. My advise is to fly rather than drive when you have to transport your $1 million in cash. Fewer chances of getting pulled over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why should I need to worry about getting pulled over by a peace officer, let alone spend the money to fly and avoid it? If I'm transporting MY million bucks why do I need to worry about a police and what business is it of theirs?

Sounds like you're describing theft, many folks will avoid bad neighborhoods which transporting anything of value so they don't risk a run in with a car jacker or such, you're saying I need to take the same avoidance precautions with police?

I would not normally comment on this topic as a military officer but with you saying this as a LEO I am slightly concerned about your thought process. I am not rich by any means, but I have friends who are millionaires like I'm sure some of you (or most) do as well. I have known, traveled with, and been around for transactions where millions has changed hands. (I'm talking high end car dealership owners and fine gun dealers)

Is it "HIGHLY unusual" in your circle of friends but may be the norm in some other circles? How exactly does that give you the right to assume that any "reasonable people" would be suspect that "something's going on..." Of course SOMETHING is going on, but that something may be very legal and of no concern to you except you're curious because it's a large amount of money to you. That is where innocent until proven guilty comes into play. You can't accuse me of SOMETHING because I have a million dollars.

Words on the internet, and I get it. Just think about how you view things. Not everything is as it may seem.

I couldn't agree more. I have a friend who owns a company in the oil and gas industry. He frequently carries large amounts of cash and checks. What he does is highly unusual and not the norm, but it's legal. There is a big difference between him and a woman traveling cross country with a large amount of cash bundled together with hair ties. Maybe I'm not a reasonable person after all, but finding $1 million packaged like that would cause me to ask more questions. The totality of the circumstances have to be considered and I've been wrong before, but I've also been right.

Why should I need to worry about getting pulled over by a peace officer, let alone spend the money to fly and avoid it? If I'm transporting MY million bucks why do I need to worry about a police and what business is it of theirs?

Sounds like you're describing theft, many folks will avoid bad neighborhoods which transporting anything of value so they don't risk a run in with a car jacker or such, you're saying I need to take the same avoidance precautions with police?

My comment about flying instead of driving with your million bucks was intended to be tongue-in-cheek. Sorry my tone didn't come through the words. Please read my post above. If one travels with large amounts of cash for a legitimate reason, you have all the right in the world to do so.

I buy/sell things on craigslist a few times a year. Sometimes big things like old tractors, implements, cars, etc. These transactions are normally done in cash so that there's no chance of fraud... so one would conceivably be carrying a few thousand bucks. I have before and probably will again.

More relevant to this board, how many of you carry a big wad of cash on a long cross country in case you get stuck somewhere and have a problem with your credit card?

No, this isn't a million bucks but in a way it is worse. Now if they seize your money it would cost you more to get it back than it's worth. Effectively the government can deprive you of property with no due process... they can throw on all the legal justifications they want, any reasoning person can see this is a direct violation of the 5th amendment.

Essentially just to catch drug dealers. I don't think making the druggies go down the street to a different supplier is worth giving up my fifth amendment rights. I'm OK with a drug dealer going free and keeping is car bought with drug money now and then to preserve this right. This is America, we have protections and sometimes they have bad consequences. Keeping the protections are worth the downsides.

I have friends who are police officers, I generally trust police officers, the vast majority of them I encounter are really great people. The police are not really the problem, the problem is the policies and laws they are charged with carrying out. Blaming them is kind of like going to McDonalds and blaming the kid behind the register for the quality of the beef. What's he supposed to do about it?

Everyone needs to realize every time you clamor for tougher drug laws, more security, a bigger war on terror, etc you're basically putting in an order to strip more rights away since that's the only place law enforcement can go with some of these tough issues. I think we all need to decide what's more important to us, our rights, or another margin of safety. Personally I feel very safe and I want my rights.

I couldn't agree more. I have a friend who owns a company in the oil and gas industry. He frequently carries large amounts of cash and checks. What he does is highly unusual and not the norm, but it's legal. There is a big difference between him and a woman traveling cross country with a large amount of cash bundled together with hair ties. Maybe I'm not a reasonable person after all, but finding $1 million packaged like that would cause me to ask more questions. The totality of the circumstances have to be considered and I've been wrong before, but I've also been right.

I agree that it looked suspicious. I would agree that a police department would investigate further, and _perhaps_ even hold the cash to prevent further crimes from occurring, as mentioned in the earlier post.

A reasonable police department should conduct its investigation quickly, and return the cash immediately upon determining there was no crime. There should be no need for judges to be involved.

Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the norm, as citations from other posters in this thread seem to show.

Then we have groups like the TSA that felt carrying cash is a crime: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/06/tsa-detains-official-from-ron-paul-group/?page=all

I buy/sell things on craigslist a few times a year. Sometimes big things like old tractors, implements, cars, etc. These transactions are normally done in cash so that there's no chance of fraud... so one would conceivably be carrying a few thousand bucks. I have before and probably will again.

More relevant to this board, how many of you carry a big wad of cash on a long cross country in case you get stuck somewhere and have a problem with your credit card?

No, this isn't a million bucks but in a way it is worse. Now if they seize your money it would cost you more to get it back than it's worth. Effectively the government can deprive you of property with no due process... they can throw on all the legal justifications they want, any reasoning person can see this is a direct violation of the 5th amendment.

Essentially just to catch drug dealers. I don't think making the druggies go down the street to a different supplier is worth giving up my fifth amendment rights. I'm OK with a drug dealer going free and keeping is car bought with drug money now and then to preserve this right. This is America, we have protections and sometimes they have bad consequences. Keeping the protections are worth the downsides.

I have friends who are police officers, I generally trust police officers, the vast majority of them I encounter are really great people. The police are not really the problem, the problem is the policies and laws they are charged with carrying out. Blaming them is kind of like going to McDonalds and blaming the kid behind the register for the quality of the beef. What's he supposed to do about it?

Everyone needs to realize every time you clamor for tougher drug laws, more security, a bigger war on terror, etc you're basically putting in an order to strip more rights away since that's the only place law enforcement can go with some of these tough issues. I think we all need to decide what's more important to us, our rights, or another margin of safety. Personally I feel very safe and I want my rights.

The police are supposed to be of above average intelligence and have training in rudiments of law. The correct thing to do is to reject senseless laws that well written on paper make no sense when practiced. "Following orders" is not an excuse.

The correct thing to do is to reject senseless laws that well written on paper make no sense when practiced. "Following orders" is not an excuse.

We tried very hard to make that point during the Nuremburg trials. Seems maybe the lesson has been forgotten by the teachers?

If you ever pull over an old person with a million dollars tied up with rubber bands in the car, I'm pretty sure their heirs will appreciate the confiscation which will lead to the subsequent guardianship they will file.

I took $5000.00 cash in an envelope hidden under the airplane's carpet to Oshkosh.

We spent about two grand on the show and rest on beer I think ... :goofy:

The police are supposed to be of above average intelligence and have training in rudiments of law. The correct thing to do is to reject senseless laws that well written on paper make no sense when practiced. "Following orders" is not an excuse.

Ummmm,police are supposed to be of "above average intelligence"? I don't think so. I've seen nothing that supports that assertation.

While your answer has that apple pie and American flag appeal, the facts are that millions of dollars in cash are seized every year from people unable to afford legal representation and/or stand up to the money fueled cash seizure machine.

A simple Google search will confirm my statement. For example:

http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...ome-fighting-to-keep-it-despite-judges-order/

We've even had someone here who represented an aircraft owner who's aircraft was seized. As I recall, it was a very capable aircraft and was held so long without maintenance, it suffered significant value loss and possibly damage if I recall the story correctly due to mishandling. The losses incurred by loss of use and valuation loss were not allowed to be sued for, from our rah-rah Apple Pie government.

In the area where I work the only people who clam up on a traffic stop are Constitutionalists and know-it-all college kids who read something on the Internet. Criminals can't keep their mouth shut and tell their life story.

Cops need to drop the attitude that a "Constitutionalist" is somehow not exactly what EVERY Citizen is SUPPOSED to be. Especially Officers of the LAW.

Watch this and realize that using the word "Constitutionalist" like it's a slur (which is a very common thing amongst our Law Enforcement today, and it's very very wrong) is totally inappropriate.

Answering even questions that don't appear to be able to be used to incriminate, at all, can, and have been used to put innocent people in prison. The ONLY correct answer by ANYONE when questioned about ANYTHING by Law Enforcement is, "I do not answer questions without advice of Counsel."

Is it annoying for cops? Yes. Absolutely. Is it annoying for Citizens? Doubly so.

Blame it on the system, the lawyers, whatever, but there is absolutely NOTHING to gain by answering questions. Tempt me with "oh you'll get off with a warning if you're nice to me, the guy who's legally allowed to lie to you to get you to say whatever I want?"

Nope. Not playing. See this video and see if it helps you understand why a law abiding Citizen should simply never ever ever ever answer anything.

http://youtu.be/6wXkI4t7nuc

(Did I mention NEVER? Heh. How am I doing Counselors? -- Ask any lawyer present here what they advise every single client to do, upon having ANY contact with LE. SHUT UP.)

It's nothing personal against LE, but they take it very personally. Which is dumb. It's exactly how our legal system is supposed to work.

Seriously, watch it. It's good information.

Even trying to change the subject can be used against you... Example...

"Hi, where are we going today?"

"Just driving. Nice weather. Would you like my license and registration?"

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"

"No sir, that's your business. Would you like my license and registration?"

Now later in court...

"You admit that you didn't answer the officer's questions and were evasive?"

Lawyers are wordsmiths WAY smarter than most of us when it comes to twisting words. But if there are no words to twist, it's a much harder job for them to paint a false picture of someone to a jury.

The best behavior and the most RESPECTFUL of what the Officer is on the street to uphold, our LAWS, is to shut up completely.

No reason to be rude about it, but one must know the law demands silence. "Nice weather." And "Hope you're having a good day, Officer..." are reasonable. Saying anything at all about an alleged crime is simply, stupidity.

It isn't about cop "bashing" now, nor has this aspect of our system ever been. It's just a convenient excuse to be "offended" by Citizens that are NOT equals during a LE stop. Our SCOTUS has made the only possible way to level the playing field, to simply shut up.

Ummmm,police are supposed to be of "above average intelligence"? I don't think so. I've seen nothing that supports that assertation.

There's been a minor push lately to require Law Enforcement have degrees and certifiable legal training. It's too expensive for society and not enough applicants who have the qualifications, for most places to mandate it.

The People have voted and want to deal with it in Court where it's even more expensive. Only the medical industry is a higher risk of bankruptcy, over the legal system.

Last edited:
To tie a couple of these threads together, the reason this (theoretically) doesn't violate Am. V/XIV's due process clauses is the fact that you can (theoretically) sue to get it back. In legalese this is called a post-deprivation remedy, and it's allowable in a variety of situations where the subject matter is time-sensitive. "If we don't let the cops seize the cash immediately," the thinking goes, "this person will hide/use the cash and we won't be able to stop the crime. If he's innocent, we'll let him haul the cops into court and prove it."

I'm guessing a lot of people wouldn't agree with that line of thought, but it's at least what we'd call colorable and it's been reaffirmed over and over again since our concept of due process was born.

This is why I say that I'd like to know what the Supreme Court was smoking when they bought off on this stuff. I can understand the time-sensitive argument, but "let him haul the cops into court and prove it" reverses the burden of proof. After a reasonable period of time, it should be up to the government to prove that continuing to hold the asset is justified by wrongdoing on the part of owner. As it is, our legal system has gone COMPLETELY off the rails on this subject, IMO.

This is why I say that I'd like to know what the Supreme Court was smoking when they bought off on this stuff. I can understand the time-sensitive argument, but "let him haul the cops into court and prove it" reverses the burden of proof. After a reasonable period of time, it should be up to the government to prove that continuing to hold the asset is justified by wrongdoing on the part of owner. As it is, our legal system has gone COMPLETELY off the rails on this subject, IMO.

Direct contradiction of the 4th Amendment.

Nobody really can justify it legally if they can read simple English.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The 4th is dead. Has been for a long time.

Haven't met anyone who took an oath to defend the law, who says they have ever refused to seize anything or participate in such behavior. Let alone always refuse on principal.

Love some of my cop friends like brothers, but they can't look me in the eye and say they would stand up and say no to being involved in civil forfeiture and would uphold the above clear-language law -- if it put their job at risk to uphold that oath.

One of the problems with the Fourth Amendment is its use of the word "unreasonable," which allows an element of subjectivity in high court decisions on the subject.

The Fifth Amendment's "due process" phrase is similarly open to subjective interpretation.

:(

One of the problems with the Fourth Amendment is its use of the word "unreasonable," which allows an element of subjectivity in high court decisions on the subject.

The Fifth Amendment's "due process" phrase is similarly open to subjective interpretation.

:(

"Reasonable" is easy. If the Honorable Judge would happily subject themselves to whatever was just brought before their Court...

Seize the Honorable Judge's car and hold it for three years with no communication about how it was involved in a crime, and see if they'll happily wait.

What I am really wanting to know is, how many of these traffic stops that ultimately lead to cash, or other assets being seized, would have still happened IF the subject asserted his/her rights to the officer, right from the jump?

-"I am not answering any questions officer, please take this as my right to remain silent"

-"I do not consent to any searches of myself or my property"

-"Am I being detained, or am I free to leave?"

So what do you guys think?? How many of these asset seizures would have still taken place if the subjects had asserted their rights in this manner??

Haven't met anyone who took an oath to defend the law, who says they have ever refused to seize anything or participate in such behavior. Let alone always refuse on principal.

I took an oath to defend the law earlier this week (though not as a LEO), and I have to say that I fit into your characterization. That's not the way the rule of law works in this country; right or wrong, you only have standing to challenge an unjust law or unjust enforcement of a just law once it has harmed you. Reasonable people (and the rest of us) can, do, and will disagree about whether civil forfeitures comport with due process, but that's a fight to take out on the legislature or courtroom - not the cop.

That said, the people talking about keeping their mouth shut are generally right. Unfortunately, some cops do use the authority of their office wrongly. They're not alone and they're not any more evil than the rest of us; they're human. Thankfully, we live in a country that does afford you a big bundle of rights to fight the system with in those situations. Use them.

If you want a more in depth look at the legal minds opposed to forfeiture, read this. Its opening example is, coincidentally, an air charter operation.

I did quite a bit of IT support work for LE in a previous job - and the initial seizure of cash is not/not a high barrier to reach. And if you're in a time-sensitive transaction (like a guy taking $25K to a cash buy of restaurant equipment), it could mean the loss of the sale, or your business, by the time you get the bucks back.

I'm sure it varies by department, but cash and property seizures are built into the budgets of some. It's pretty sleazy, and of course, corrupting, but until it gets enough judicial (or legislative) attention, it won't be going away.

You can carry a firearm in the baggage compartment of an airplane in NY state where it is illegal to carry it in your car (or so I am told).

The confiscation of property without a conviction is plain wrong, along with some other things they are getting away with. Wake up America. 9/11 was bad, but not so bad as to make us give up our freedom....

I did quite a bit of IT support work for LE in a previous job - and the initial seizure of cash is not/not a high barrier to reach. And if you're in a time-sensitive transaction (like a guy taking $25K to a cash buy of restaurant equipment), it could mean the loss of the sale, or your business, by the time you get the bucks back.

I'm sure it varies by department, but cash and property seizures are built into the budgets of some. It's pretty sleazy, and of course, corrupting, but until it gets enough judicial (or legislative) attention, it won't be going away.

Forget the courts, and the legislative branches…...

The BEST weapons that the average citizen has against these crazy laws is to 1) exercise their right to remain silent, 2) NOT consent to any searches of themselves or their property and 3) Have video rolling on their phones for the entire encounter as rock solid evidence of abuse to use later in court, if necessary.

I'd bet anyone a tank of Avgas that 95% of these seizure cases would never have happened if these motorists has firmly, but politely asserted their 4th and 5th amendment rights when they were stopped.

Any takers?

I took an oath to defend the law earlier this week (though not as a LEO), and I have to say that I fit into your characterization. That's not the way the rule of law works in this country; right or wrong, you only have standing to challenge an unjust law or unjust enforcement of a just law once it has harmed you. Reasonable people (and the rest of us) can, do, and will disagree about whether civil forfeitures comport with due process, but that's a fight to take out on the legislature or courtroom - not the cop.

That said, the people talking about keeping their mouth shut are generally right. Unfortunately, some cops do use the authority of their office wrongly. They're not alone and they're not any more evil than the rest of us; they're human. Thankfully, we live in a country that does afford you a big bundle of rights to fight the system with in those situations. Use them.

If you want a more in depth look at the legal minds opposed to forfeiture, read this. Its opening example is, coincidentally, an air charter operation.

Generally civil forfeiture law ALLOWS it to take place, but does not MANDATE it take place, unless my understanding is incorrect.

This leaves the choice of whether or not to do it, to the LE on the scene, AFAIK.

What I am really wanting to know is, how many of these traffic stops that ultimately lead to cash, or other assets being seized, would have still happened IF the subject asserted his/her rights to the officer, right from the jump?

-"I am not answering any questions officer, please take this as my right to remain silent"

-"I do not consent to any searches of myself or my property"

-"Am I being detained, or am I free to leave?"

So what do you guys think?? How many of these asset seizures would have still taken place if the subjects had asserted their rights in this manner??

There are cases where LE still searched. Judges don't typically take too kindly to it, but it's a crapshoot if you find a Judge willing to legislate from the bench.

Generally though, since there's NOTHING to gain by talking or allowing a search and EVERYTHING to lose, there's really only one option. Shut up and refuse.

That LE tends to take it as some kind of silly personal insult is the real problem in the whole thing... They need to get over it and the vast vast majority of Citizen contacts should go that way in order for that mindset/attitude change to occur.

Just because folks have been stupid and uninformed about the law, or how it's *sometimes* abused by prosecutors, for a very long time, doesn't make it suddenly personal against LE when people wise up. Sorry, the job is supposed to be hard.

The presumption of innocence is a difficult concept for folks who spend all day apprehending real criminals, but that's not something to cause frustration or worse, trigger the absolutely stupid "I'll show this Constitutionalist!" behavior that's currently way too popular.

When I've asked LE friends, what I stand to gain by answering anything at all that they ask, the answer is always something in *their* best interests, not mine. They will usually begrudgingly admit this, off-duty.

On-duty, there's sometimes a purposefully fostered culture in some departments of "We're going to make you miserable because we don't like that you exercised your rights under the law," which is ultimately going to lead to a ever greater peaceful backlash of simply clamming up and general distrust amongst the lawful.

There's no way it can lead to anything else. That folks don't see this growing because of a simple attitude problem, is amazing to me.

The other significant problem for the lawful Citizen is even an Arrest without a conviction, can be problematic for job hunting, etc. The standard response to the Catch-22 to get around the denial of a search is now to simply lie and state the person was "resisting arrest".

And then you end up with a stupid stuff like this:

http://kdvr.com/2015/09/23/problem-solvers-deputy-resigns-as-kicking-cop-investigation-expands/

Four. Not one. Four ... officers covered up one officer kicking a person who they had determined was no threat, then went in and grabbed him anyway.

Video surfaced of their actions or they wouldn't have been caught.

Additionally the person's cell phone, which is clearly seen as being picked up by an officer, was "never found" and was not admitted into evidence. Really? Which dumpster was it tossed in?

Open record requests for the disciplinary records of the four officers was denied by a bureaucrat claiming that releasing those records did not "serve the public interest". Hmm. Doesn't pass the smell test.

*Some* departments are simply rife with such stories.

The question is, will the "good cops" clean house and charge these "bad cops" with a crime?

Let's think hard about what would happen to you or I, if we had beat someone, and a video tape of it had surfaced, and we'd stolen their property to cover it up.

We'd be in jail. With a very high bail.

And if it was related to our job, we'd be fired. Gone.

Never to be hired to do that job ever again.

Not "reassigned to duty where direct public contact is not necessary". Or "on paid administrative leave".

And absolutely the DA would have filed charges. Not days or weeks later. The second the video surfaced. Right then.

Something is very broken in a system that doesn't do those things. Very badly broken.

One can blame it on all sorts of things, Unions, lack of leadership, a need to pay folks to do this job very poorly, the list goes on and on, but in the end, it's simply groupthink causing folks not to do what's right.

Your boss should FIRE you if a video like this surfaces and it's pretty obvious four people chose to cover up bad behavior, rather than even one person come clean about it. The can let you sue your way back to the job, if you dare try it, just like any other job.

It's all intertwined and a mess. If Officers want people to trust them, they must demand their departments clean house of the sort of person above. I've been telling LE friends this for a very long time. Way longer than the current LE vs Citizens tensions we're seeing now as a direct result of NOT doing it.

There are definitely real heroes in the job. They're also some real ass-hats that need to be put on trial and locked up for breaking the public trust.

One resigned from the above story already. Will the other three who stood and watched and didn't stop him, have any serious repercussions? Who tossed the cell phone to try to save his ass? Was it him or is there another that needs to resign? We'll see if they let us know or who gets to plea out... If charges are ever filed at all. None yet.

Considering the corrupting influence it created, setting it up so that the proceeds of the seizures accrue to the law enforcement agency that makes the seizure decision was pretty brain-dead, IMO.

the facts are that millions of dollars in cash are seized every year from people unable to afford legal representation and/or stand up to the money fueled cash seizure machine.

Hell, and that's just in the one little "highway pirating" Texas town of Tenaha. When it comes to civil forfeiture in Texas, it seems you have no property rights.

Generally civil forfeiture law ALLOWS it to take place, but does not MANDATE it take place, unless my understanding is incorrect.

This leaves the choice of whether or not to do it, to the LE on the scene, AFAIK.

There are cases where LE still searched. Judges don't typically take too kindly to it, but it's a crapshoot if you find a Judge willing to legislate from the bench.

Generally though, since there's NOTHING to gain by talking or allowing a search and EVERYTHING to lose, there's really only one option. Shut up and refuse.

That LE tends to take it as some kind of silly personal insult is the real problem in the whole thing... They need to get over it and the vast vast majority of Citizen contacts should go that way in order for that mindset/attitude change to occur.

Just because folks have been stupid and uninformed about the law, or how it's *sometimes* abused by prosecutors, for a very long time, doesn't make it suddenly personal against LE when people wise up. Sorry, the job is supposed to be hard.

The presumption of innocence is a difficult concept for folks who spend all day apprehending real criminals, but that's not something to cause frustration or worse, trigger the absolutely stupid "I'll show this Constitutionalist!" behavior that's currently way too popular.

When I've asked LE friends, what I stand to gain by answering anything at all that they ask, the answer is always something in *their* best interests, not mine. They will usually begrudgingly admit this, off-duty.

On-duty, there's sometimes a purposefully fostered culture in some departments of "We're going to make you miserable because we don't like that you exercised your rights under the law," which is ultimately going to lead to a ever greater peaceful backlash of simply clamming up and general distrust amongst the lawful.

There's no way it can lead to anything else. That folks don't see this growing because of a simple attitude problem, is amazing to me.

The other significant problem for the lawful Citizen is even an Arrest without a conviction, can be problematic for job hunting, etc. The standard response to the Catch-22 to get around the denial of a search is now to simply lie and state the person was "resisting arrest".

http://kdvr.com/2015/09/23/problem-solvers-deputy-resigns-as-kicking-cop-investigation-expands/

Four. Not one. Four ... officers covered up one officer kicking a person who they had determined was no threat, then went in and grabbed him anyway.

Additionally the person's cell phone, which is clearly seen as being picked up by an officer, was "never found" and was not admitted into evidence. Really? Which dumpster was it tossed in?

Open record requests for the disciplinary records of the four officers was denied by a bureaucrat claiming that releasing those records did not "serve the public interest". Hmm. Doesn't pass the smell test.

The question is, will the "good cops" clean house and charge these "bad cops" with a crime?

Let's think hard about what would happen to you or I, if we had beat someone, and a video tape of it had surfaced, and we'd stolen their property to cover it up.

Not "reassigned to duty where direct public contact is not necessary". Or "on paid administrative leave".

And absolutely the DA would have filed charges. Not days or weeks later. The second the video surfaced. Right then.

Something is very broken in a system that doesn't do those things. Very badly broken.

One can blame it on all sorts of things, Unions, lack of leadership, a need to pay folks to do this job very poorly, the list goes on and on, but in the end, it's simply groupthink causing folks not to do what's right.

Your boss should FIRE you if a video like this surfaces and it's pretty obvious four people chose to cover up bad behavior, rather than even one person come clean about it. The can let you sue your way back to the job, if you dare try it, just like any other job.

It's all intertwined and a mess. If Officers want people to trust them, they must demand their departments clean house of the sort of person above. I've been telling LE friends this for a very long time. Way longer than the current LE vs Citizens tensions we're seeing now as a direct result of NOT doing it.

There are definitely real heroes in the job. They're also some real ass-hats that need to be put on trial and locked up for breaking the public trust.

One resigned from the above story already. Will the other three who stood and watched and didn't stop him, have any serious repercussions? Who tossed the cell phone to try to save his ass? Was it him or is there another that needs to resign? We'll see if they let us know or who gets to plea out... If charges are ever filed at all. None yet.

Very well said!

There ought to be MASSIVE protests (as in several thousand people) standing outside that PD demanding that each of the 4 officers be charged with aggrivated assault and battery.

Of course, since the suspect was white, there isn't nearly as much outrage as there would have been if this were another Ferguson or Baltimore:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Very much correct.

Very well said!

There ought to be MASSIVE protests (as in several thousand people) standing outside that PD demanding that each of the 4 officers be charged with aggrivated assault and battery.

Of course, since the suspect was white, there isn't nearly as much outrage as there would have been if this were another Ferguson or Baltimore:rolleyes::rolleyes:

There ought to be unannounced integrity checks on LE to see if they would do the right thing in a ficticous scenario (but seemingly real to the cop being tested). Since integrity is a job requirement (citation requested), this is how you weed out the bad ones and the good ones will do the right thing, including turn in the bad ones.

Back