Ga into mci

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
Relatively low time pilot. Flown into downtown Kc airport several times. Getting comfortable flying to unfamiliar airports. Taking my partner to Kc on Sunday. He needs to be near mci. I can fly into downtown or mci. Always assumed I would generally pick the ga airpot instead going to a bravo airport.

It was fun first time I was cleared into the bravo when flying to downtown. Might as well get the experience flying to a bravo. Do they hate ga flying in. Will Sunday 1:00pm be a busy time? Any advice or words of wisdom?

Thanks,

Jim

I've done pattern work at MCI. Its never been that busy. Just be prepared to pay the fees for Signature

I did a stop and go there one night, so can't help with any GA ramp or FBO info. MCI is a very sleepy class B.

Great and thanks for the replies. Typically use signature when they are where we are flying. Buy enough overpriced fuel to avoid the ramp fee.

Jim

No sweat. Go in there all the time. Friendly controllers, light traffic. Only aggravation is if you land on the east runway it's a long taxi around to signature.

No sweat. Go in there all the time. Friendly controllers, light traffic. Only aggravation is if you land on the east runway it's a long taxi around to signature.

Thanks, piece of cake. Fortunately got 19R and it was a short taxi to signature. Had several airlines taking off while I was getting clearance, but did not have to wait. Cleared on course.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

KMCI should really be Class C airspace. Be ready to pay the fees but no big deal getting in and out of there.

Why are they still class B ?

Anyone knows the traffic count you have to maintain for one vs. the other. Whenever I fly in and out of there commercial it looks like a sleepy regional airport with a gigantic terminal.

KMCI should really be Class C airspace. Be ready to pay the fees but no big deal getting in and out of there.

I finally had a reason to go into a Class B and though I knocked it off my bucket list, now you tell me it shouldn't count. I might have to plan a trip to Atlanta!

Seriously, I did notice that while the bulk of their operations are commercial, they have less operations per day according to Airnav than the Class C at ICT. After seeing the numbers and landing there, it does seem like it should maybe be a class C. I wonder if the amount of traffic from the surrounding airports factors into the airspace designation.

Jim

Nah - it's all politics. KC wants to be a 'real' city, so MCI will always be a B.

I finally had a reason to go into a Class B and though I knocked it off my bucket list, now you tell me it shouldn't count. I might have to plan a trip to Atlanta!
Huh? Where did I say it didn't count? It is Class B airspace. Just really, really low traffic Class B.

I think the only reason it is still bravo is for KC Center politics.

Nah - it's all politics. KC wants to be a 'real' city, so MCI will always be a B.

Pittsburg, New Orleans, Memphis, Covington, all class B, had fewer passengers than KMCI IN 2012.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/AIR/air1502.html

15-2-1. CRITERIA
a. The criteria for considering a given airport as a candidate for a Class B airspace designation must be based on factors that include the volume of aircraft, the number of enplaned passengers, and the type/nature of operations being conducted in the area.
b. For a site to be considered as a new Class B airspace candidate, the following criteria must be met:
1. The primary airport serves at least 5 million passengers enplaned annually;
2. The primary airport has a total airport operations count of 300,000 (of which at least 240,000 are air carriers and air taxi); and

Huh? Where did I say it didn't count? It is Class B airspace. Just really, really low traffic Class B.

I think the only reason it is still bravo is for KC Center politics.

You didn't, I was just joking around. Some people think you should fly into one at least once. I never really considered it a requirement. I always figured there would be a smaller airport that would be better suited for my needs. Just happened to be very close to where we needed to go. There is a little part of me that wants to go into a very busy B just to have had the experience. But if I never do, I will still consider my life complete.

Jim

Back