GA ads in NASCAR?

Being on a retired persons budget, we do not have the "All You Can Eat" package from Dish so once NBC takes over and puts most of the races on their Sports channel I don't get to see any of them.

I ran Legends cars here in Georgia back in the mid 90's for about three years and that "Hip Pocket" thing doesn't work so well. Once the series got out of hand, I got out.

NASCAR never interested me. The only NASCAR races I like watching are the road racing tracks. Mostly because it is really entertaining to watch them try to turn right (except a few who know how to do it).:cool::rolleyes:;) But given that I don't know the schedule and have no cable, it never happens. I don't like oval racing. I see why people like it, but I don't. I like city street racing(Indy) even less.

But mostly, I cannot identify or relate with anything in NASCAR. "Brands", teams, complicated championships, cautions, wins based on pure luck. All of that makes no sense to me. And I'm too lazy to learn. Indy is worse. Seems like Indy is a great place for a has-been racer to go and retire.

My favorite car racing were the old touring car(production based cars) championships. German and British were the best. It's all gone now DTS is about as relevant to me as NASCAR.

The only thing I watch now is MotoGP and Formula 1. The latest was mostly out of inertia for the last few years. It has, however, become interesting again this year with the championship wide open and quite a lot of passing(by F1 standards) on track.

In general, auto racing is fast losing it's relevance to the real world and young people.

Where did you race at, what part of the country?

The South. Mostly Texas, a little in Louisiana and Oklahoma with occasional trips to Alabama, Florida and Georgia. I tried to do a few ARCA and the old NASCAR Sportsman series when they came to Texas World Speedway, but it was hard to come up with money.

I worked as a pit crew member for a underfunded NASCAR team for most of one year, but they folded after not making the spring Daytona race the next year.

No regrets, I did a lot more than other small time racers got to do.

I'm shocked at the number of tennis and golf pros sporting NetJets on their clothes. That's a bunch of advertising for 1% ers. Nothing wrong that, just surprised as it's mostly only visible on TV or up close. Well, that and 99%+ of the viewers can't afford their product.

This thread made me Google and I laughed that the only U.S. *airline* advertising via NASCAR is Allegiant. (Apparently one of the drivers is the kid of an Allegiant big wig...)

This thread made me Google and I laughed that the only U.S. *airline* advertising via NASCAR is Allegiant. (Apparently one of the drivers is the kid of an Allegiant big wig...)

That's how a lot of sponsorships and such happen. We have a 1/2 mile track just up the road. Guy bought it, totally rebuilt it primarily because he had a kid working his way up the ranks. Now the track sits empty and has been for sale for two or three years now. It really is a nice facility. Two local tracks here have been dead for several years now when both used to have pretty good programs.

In the Cup series currently you have Paul Menard of Menard's fame.

That's how a lot of sponsorships and such happen. We have a 1/2 mile track just up the road. Guy bought it, totally rebuilt it primarily because he had a kid working his way up the ranks. Now the track sits empty and has been for sale for two or three years now. It really is a nice facility. Two local tracks here have been dead for several years now when both used to have pretty good programs.

In the Cup series currently you have Paul Menard of Menard's fame.

Several race tracks I used to frequent closed down due to spreading human habitation. Just like airports.

I'm shocked at the number of tennis and golf pros sporting NetJets on their clothes. That's a bunch of advertising for 1% ers. Nothing wrong that, just surprised as it's mostly only visible on TV or up close. Well, that and 99%+ of the viewers can't afford their product.

There are a lot sporting Wheels Up clothing on the PGA tour as well.

Several race tracks I used to frequent closed down due to spreading human habitation. Just like airports.

Not the issue with these two tracks. The half mile sits off the end of runway 17 at KJCA. I'm sure google maps shows it nicely. The other track sits across from Road Atlanta and was sold to Jim Downing and he turned it into a drifting track.

Being on a retired persons budget, we do not have the "All You Can Eat" package from Dish so once NBC takes over and puts most of the races on their Sports channel I don't get to see any of them.

One of the biggest problems right now, not only can the fans that are actually still left can't find the race, half the time they don't even get the channel that it is on. Then Nascar says to the teams, "Gee' we just don't understand why y'all are having trouble finding sponsors"

NASCAR never interested me. The only NASCAR races I like watching are the road racing tracks. Mostly because it is really entertaining to watch them try to turn right (except a few who know how to do it).:cool::rolleyes:;) But given that I don't know the schedule and have no cable, it never happens. I don't like oval racing. I see why people like it, but I don't. I like city street racing(Indy) even less.

But mostly, I cannot identify or relate with anything in NASCAR. "Brands", teams, complicated championships, cautions, wins based on pure luck. All of that makes no sense to me. And I'm too lazy to learn. Indy is worse. Seems like Indy is a great place for a has-been racer to go and retire.

Well lucky for you this weekend is Watkins Glen, so you might want to tune in! No clue what channel it will be on, probably MSNBC South East Regional Sports Network 2.7 or something...

And that is one of the sport's biggest problems, the direction they have gone (drivers, formats, audiences they cater to etc), no one can relate anymore. It's sad really, it was once such a big power house.

This is true.

One of the biggest problems right now, not only can the fans that are actually still left can't find the race, half the time they don't even get the channel that it is on. Then Nascar says to the teams, "Gee' we just don't understand why y'all are having trouble finding sponsors".

There is still a line a mile long of sponsors that want to be the main sponsor, like Winston was and the current one is, can't think of it right now, Monster Depends or something like that.

In my brief flash in NASCAR, sponsor came looking for cars. There was not enough cars so that is why many cars had multiple major sponsorships. The car may be sponsored by one company while the driver has his own sponsorship. Big $$$$$$$

If people understood how much money sponsors pay to get their names on the car, there would be riots in the street and those companies would be burned down. Nobody will ever know how much Andy Granatelli was paying Richard Petty to put STP red on his car.

There is still a line a mile long of sponsors that want to be the main sponsor, like Winston was and the current one is, can't think of it right now, Monster Depends or something like that.

In my brief flash in NASCAR, sponsor came looking for cars. There was not enough cars so that is why many cars had multiple major sponsorships. The car may be sponsored by one company while the driver has his own sponsorship. Big $$$$$$$

Those days are long gone my friend, now teams go fighting for sponsors, it's incredible how things have changed over the years. And the Monster sponsorship is only a 2 year deal and the money they got for the sponsorship was a small fraction of what Nascar was asking.

I don't see how they keep the truck series alive. You used to see a lot of cup guys driving trucks and all the big team had truck teams too. Today, not so much.

I don't see how they keep the truck series alive. You used to see a lot of cup guys driving trucks and all the big team had truck teams too. Today, not so much.

The truck series was once (and sometimes still is) the best racing out there. Unfortunately a lot of it now is pay to play, rich kids with money have their parents buy them a ride, a far cry from the days of big teams using it as a way to find a develop young talent. Some of the big teams will put kids they are developing in rides of truck teams they are associated with and foot part of the bill. Not a lot of cup guys drive trucks anymore because Nascar is limiting what cup drivers can run in the lower series, and will be even more restricted next year (I think a full time cup driver will only be able to run 4 or 5 truck races and none in the truck chase. There are two sides to that, one is the people will go watch or tune it to see the big name drivers race, at the same time, you have guys like Kyle Busch who is a top tier cup guy winning just about every truck race he is in and stinking up the show. It's long been debated and an argument for each.

Back