G500 non-Txi

Togaparty

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Togaparty
Is it worthwhile putting in a used g500 mfd/pfd. i would buy a g3x but it isnt available until late in the year and i have appointment now for a 750 i ordered in february.

i just wanted to get feedback on getting a used g500 instead of going with 2 g5s instead?

thanks

We got a G500H at work for over 10 years. Outside of a temp probe error, thing has been flawless. I like it better than dual 1000s personally.

I have a G500. I really like it, much better situational awareness than dual G5's. I do prefer to have approach plates on my iPad over the G500 as the resolution is better and the touch to move and zoom is much easier than manipulating the knob on the G500. I believe, but not sure, that the G500 has a bit more options to control legacy autopilots compared with G5's. It will do GPSS for my Stec 30 quite well.

Like the 430/530 units, everything has a shelf life. Just understand Garmin has moved on and at some point you won't be able to get parts. Also note, the size of the hole in your panel will have to change to accommodate either a g3x or a g500xi.

I have a G500. I really like it, much better situational awareness than dual G5's. I do prefer to have approach plates on my iPad over the G500 as the resolution is better and the touch to move and zoom is much easier than manipulating the knob on the G500. I believe, but not sure, that the G500 has a bit more options to control legacy autopilots compared with G5's. It will do GPSS for my Stec 30 quite well.

good point i have autocontrol iiib and i want to add a better autopilot. what a/p would you sugggest if i did go the g500 route?

good point i have autocontrol iiib and i want to add a better autopilot. what a/p would you sugggest if i did go the g500 route?
If you installing new, I'd suggest the GFC500, which kind of ignores my comment on legacy AP's. You'll need a G5 to drive it, but there is good integration with the G500 (Command bars, AP status on the G500 and a bunch of other stufff). My plane is going in for that upgrade in two weeks. What plane?

If you installing new, I'd suggest the GFC500, which kind of ignores my comment on legacy AP's. You'll need a G5 to drive it, but there is good integration with the G500 (Command bars, AP status on the G500 and a bunch of other stufff). My plane is going in for that upgrade in two weeks. What plane?

I think you are correct on the gfc500 but avionics are getting done next week or two (appt set in feb). When did you order your gfc? My guy said cant get until november or so? i think it was the servos. Its for a pa32.

Yep, servos were about 4 months lead-time. Head unit, G5 and Install kit were pretty quick.

Back