G5 with two nav inputs?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Will a G5 HSI display two nav inputs like the Apsen will?

I mean showing arrows to two different VORs at the same time or an arrow/CDI based on the GPS flight plan and a second arrow to some other VOR?

Aspen does this with a solid arrow and an outlined arrow.

I've actually sent garmin an email last week asking if the G5 HSI can even be interfaced with more than one nav radio. I haven't heard back yet. I don't think they can be as there are no wiring prints showing more than one radio being supported

Say you had a 430 or 530, it will show GPS or VHF nav and switch between but I don't think both simultaneously.

I don't see any capability to have a #2 nav interfaced with it.

Last edited:
Don't know. One is good enough for me. Of course I've been flying with a DG on this airplane for 17 years.

This was confirmed, right now the G5 HSI system installed via STC cannot track, connect to, or display, more than one nav radio. Even if you have two compatible nav radios the STC will only hook to one of them. Of course what happens in the future is unknown, these approvals are still very new.

So to get the most out of G5 HSI system you need a 430x/530x or GTN 650/750, allowing integration of both GPS and VHF nav from the lone radio it will be hooked to.

This was confirmed, right now the G5 HSI system installed via STC cannot track, connect to, or display, more than one nav radio. Even if you have two compatible nav radios the STC will only hook to one of them. Of course what happens in the future is unknown, these approvals are still very new.

So to get the most out of G5 HSI system you need a 430x/530x or GTN 650/750, allowing integration of both GPS and VHF nav from the lone radio it will be hooked to.

Right. I actually found out about this last week but didn't add it to the thread.

I have a GTN650 so I can use the bearing pointer feature, etc.

It's pretty clear what Garmin's strategy is here. The G5 is a low cost device with great capabilities but it's increasingly tilting the field towards installing an all-Garmin panel to support it. Same goes for the GFC 500 autopilot; it needs a G5 integrated for full control features and the whole setup nearly demands a GTN or GNS series Navigator to drive it.

Personally, I'm willing to play that game in order to get the benefit of maxing out what these avionics can do for these previously unheard-of low acquisition and installation costs. I'm currently running a GTN650, G5 and GTX345. I imagine that will expand to at least one additional G5 by end of year along with the GAD29B converter. Eventually I'll get the GFC500 to replace my aging Altimatic III autopilot.

My feeling is you're going to see a similar configuration in a LOT of airplanes.

Back