G5 will not track VOR signal from GNS-430W

chemgeek

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
chemgeek
Here is an odd one. Trying to complete a dual G5 install. The G5s will track a GPS or ILS localizer signal, but not a VOR signal from a GNS430 (through GAD29B). The GNS430, G5s and STEC-20 now have the latest firmware, but no joy. Weird. Any ideas? It must be something relatively simple.

By track, do you mean autopilot isn’t following the VOR radial inbound/outbound, or the G5 isn’t displaying the VOR on the HSI display?

I am working this same issue with my G5 install and my IFD540...except my autopilot won’t follow a localizer either, but the GPS signal is fine. My avionics guy says that it is a programming issue sending the correct signal to the autopilot. The first call should be to Garmin, and then to S-TEC. The two of them absolutely should be able to get your avionics guy the wiring diagrams needed to fix everything.

The G5/GAD29B are only providing heading and course error signals, the main steering is provided by the analog signals from the 430 (the same ones that would drive a standard analog CDI). In order for it to provide the proper analog output signals for a VOR, it needs to know what course you have selected so it knows which way and how far to drive the needles. Is it possible the ARINC out from the GAD29B to the 430 in is misconfigured on either the G5 or 430 (in any manner, but especially around the SDI setting).

We ran into the same thing I believe. Avionics shop said it wouldn't work. Config is KAP140, 530w, G5 HSI. GPS and ILS worked but the autopilot would not track a VOR. I kept pushing the shop to figure it out, called Garmin myself, etc. If I remember right they had to change the config from SDI1 to common.

We ran into the same thing I believe. Avionics shop said it wouldn't work. Config is KAP140, 530w, G5 HSI. GPS and ILS worked but the autopilot would not track a VOR. I kept pushing the shop to figure it out, called Garmin myself, etc. If I remember right they had to change the config from SDI1 to common.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Fixing the G5 ARINC setting to common did the trick. (Despite the install manual specifying SDI 1.) Testing now, should be ready to go soon. Yay!

Won't follow.

The only times the G5 is directing the autopilot are:
#1 Heading mode
#2 GPSS
Both of those functions can only be used if the autopilot is in heading mode.

All other times the G5 is nothing more than a display.

All other functions of the autopilot are unchanged.

The analog VOR indicator outputs of the GNS need to be wired to the nav tracking inputs on the autopilot. This interface has nothing at all do with the G5/GAD29.

Last edited:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Fixing the G5 ARINC setting to common did the trick. (Despite the install manual specifying SDI 1.) Testing now, should be ready to go soon. Yay!

I had suspected the SDI as I noted above, but if changing it to common is what fixed it... it sounds like your 430W Nav ARINC SDI setting wasn't set to SDI 1 to match the output SDI 1. It's probably set to common instead of VOR/ILS 1 which is what is specified in the install manual to match the output setting.

Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 11.48.55 AM.png

Back