G5 question

bugsiegel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bugsiegel
Can anyone tell me if the Garmin G5 aside from replacing the DG and the attitude indicator is an authorized replacement for the ball and rate turn indicator or does it just offer redundancy and can not be a primary instrument for those two turn?
Thanks in Advance.

Can anyone tell me if the Garmin G5 aside from replacing the DG and the attitude indicator is an authorized replacement for the ball and rate turn indicator or does it just offer redundancy and can not be a primary instrument for those two turn?
Thanks in Advance.
It can replace either the AI or the TC. In my case it replaced the TC and I still have my vacuum AI because my autopilot is attitude based.

Neil,
Did you call into a FSDO or did Garmin confirm this?

I believe Neil is correct. We pulled out the DG and AH and purchased a new T&B as the old one was sold with the Century 1 autopilot. I did discuss with FISDO relocating the VSI one position lower in the panel as we did not want to move the CDI for the #2 radio which was approved since the airplane is not used for charter flights. With the G5's directly over the yoke it also keeps the pilots eyes closer to the IFD540 which has synthetic vision display. This makes for a more concise scan. And we eliminated the light posts and went with light rings - much nicer.

Old

upload_2019-12-29_11-1-43.png

New
upload_2019-12-29_10-57-20.png

:rolleyes: :)

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-29_11-8-3.png
    upload_2019-12-29_11-8-3.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 16
Pretty sure the STC says have to keep at least the turn coordinator or the attitude indicator. Most people opt to keep the TC and yank the vacuum system being they don't need it if they pull the AI.

Pretty sure the STC says have to keep at least the turn coordinator or the attitude indicator. Most people opt to keep the TC and yank the vacuum system being they don't need it if they pull the AI.

You are not required to have an AI or TC with a dual G5 installation. The units are independent and have a 4-5 hour battery back up.

You are not required to have an AI or TC with a dual G5 installation. The units are independent and have a 4-5 hour battery back up.

The STC doesn't allow you to use the G5 as BOTH a AI and a TC; it can be one or the other. You can't put in 2 G5s and remove both the old AI and the TC.

For IFR installations, you can replace either the AI or TC with one or two G5s but not both, and may not replace an AI or TC if required for AP operation. Most dual installations replace the AI and DG, allowing the removal of the vacuum system. That's what I did. (If you have a rate-based AP using its own TC, this works out well.) At least that my in understanding of the install limitations.

It is kind of a no brainer to remove the AI and the vacuum, as opposed to the TC. Given the size and amount of concentrated information the G5 gives, it is better that you leave the TC interpretation to a regular TC. It also makes the 6 pack look better. As others have said, it also helps if you have an S-TEC AP to keep the TC that you need for it and get GPSS from the G5

It is kind of a no brainer to remove the AI and the vacuum, as opposed to the TC. Given the size and amount of concentrated information the G5 gives, it is better that you leave the TC interpretation to a regular TC. It also makes the 6 pack look better. As others have said, it also helps if you have an S-TEC AP to keep the TC that you need for it and get GPSS from the G5

...unless your AP is attitude-based and not compatible with the G5. Then you still need your AI to drive it and it's the TC that goes away if you want dual.

Thanks in Advance.

The simplest way to put it is:

Per the STC (FAA approval) two G5s cannot replace three existing gyros.

A smart man would Install G5 ADI, G5 HSI via Garmin STC then replace the turn coordinator or turn & bank with an attitude gyro using https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC91-75.pdf

Last edited:
Honestly, I like having a TC with the dual G5 set up.

Me, too. Makes standard rate turns easy. Plus, I have to keep the TC anyway because its the brains for the STEC autopilot. The TC indicators on the G5 AI are tiny, and hard to visualize, but it is there, too.

Me, too. Makes standard rate turns easy. Plus, I have to keep the TC anyway because its the brains for the STEC autopilot. The TC indicators on the G5 AI are tiny, and hard to visualize, but it is there, too.

Not to mention that it is a good additional reference on an approach and in IMC to confirm for you brain that you are/are not turning

Back