G5 HSI

Groundpounder

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Emerson Bigguns
Can a G5 be installed as an HSI, and still be able to be switched to the ADI mode, and act as a backup artificial horizon?

Yes.
I installed a Dynon 10a as my primary adi and the G5 as primary HSI. Push the button, turn the dial, push button again and it is an ADI.

Can a G5 be installed as an HSI, and still be able to be switched to the ADI mode, and act as a backup artificial horizon?

Yes. I have the G5 HSI and can do exactly that.

Does this hold true with the "experimental" version?

Does this hold true with the "experimental" version?

Yes or no. You can set it up a million different ways. Both Certified and Experimental Installation Manuals are online for everyone to see.

The HSI part is an option. All G5s can be used in the AI mode, AFAIK. The nice thing about using in that mode is it still provides a CDI and GS on screen.

What is your opinion of the readability of the G5? I haven't seen a real one yet, but the display looks small in photos of panels with it.

The only part of the G5 display I find "small" is the VSI scale and the IAS "trend" (which I don't use). Otherwise all ok.

What is your opinion of the readability of the G5? I haven't seen a real one yet, but the display looks small in photos of panels with it.

I find it very readable and easy to maintain focus and scan on, especially when combined up and down with the HSI. The VSI bit is something you need to train yourself to scan, but it works great once you do.

Back