G5-HSI problem

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Went out to fly today. During preflight, everything was fine. Pulled the cherokee out of the hangar, got in and started it up. G5-ASI is fine. GPS 175 is fine. G5-HSI is nothing. Black screen, nothing works. Shut down everything (time to reboot!) and tried again. Nope, still a black screen. Won't change my plan to fly, don't need the HSI - the SL30 drives a separate CDI.

I'll be calling Garmin in the morning, but has anyone seen anything like this before?

Did you try the power button? I haven't had this, but in the video @NealRomeoGolf just posted on yt a couple days ago, he shows what looks like the same issue, but he got it started with the power button.

There is a reset feature, but I don’t remember it. Something like holding both button and knob in for 20 seconds.

e3e5fcec2134c14cc47d720e3934e9bf.jpg

If it did not power on, I’d wonder if power was supplied to the unit.

If it did not power on, I’d wonder if power was supplied to the unit.
This was my first thought, too. I’m guilty of approaching problems from the back side of Occam’s razor. Don’t be like me. Check the circuit breaker first.

If you’re comfortable with the idea, you could swap the connectors on the G5s and see if the problem follows the wiring harness or the unit.

I am amazed at how long you have to hold the power button for it to turn on. If you didn't sit there and hold it for a good 10 seconds, do that first. I've only had it not boot on startup once. And now it's on youtube.

I am amazed at how long you have to hold the power button for it to turn on. If you didn't sit there and hold it for a good 10 seconds, do that first. I've only had it not boot on startup once. And now it's on youtube.
Link?

Yes hold the knob or power button (I cant remember)in for 10-15 seconds until it comes on. Mine did that 4 years ago and how I got it to come on. Later my avionics shop confirmed that was how you do it. They were real concerned when I called them about it. I have not had that problem since. They also have done at least one update to the G5 since.

Yes hold the knob or power button (I cant remember)in for 10-15 seconds until it comes on. Mine did that 4 years ago and how I got it to come on. Later my avionics shop confirmed that was how you do it. They were real concerned when I called them about it. I have not had that problem since. They also have done at least one update to the G5 since.
Our G5 (ASI) did that to my wife one time. She called and I told her to hold the power button for about 10 or 15 seconds, but she said nothing happened. I drove out to the hangar and held the power button for around 20 (or more) seconds and it finally came on. That was over a year ago and no problem since.

Our G5 (ASI) did that to my wife one time. She called and I told her to hold the power button for about 10 or 15 seconds, but she said nothing happened. I drove out to the hangar and held the power button for around 20 (or more) seconds and it finally came on. That was over a year ago and no problem since.

It looks like what you thought was a power off state might have actually been a software hang in the standby state, with the long (10-15 second) hold of the power button being a hard reset. Or instead of a hang, it could have been a dimmer glitch that got cleared up by the hard reset.

It looks like what you thought was a power off state might have actually been a software hang in the standby state, with the long (10-15 second) hold of the power button being a hard reset. Or instead of a hang, it could have been a dimmer glitch that got cleared up by the hard reset.
Thats a good thought. I couldn't figure it out because the long 10+s press is what turns it off. If it's actually off, a >1s press turns it on. There's also about 5s where it appears to be off, but in the right light you can see that the screen is on, but all black.

Back