G5 error code ???

Mooneys R Quicker

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joe Warren
Hi All,
I frequently get an G5 error code that I can't seem to find a remedy for. The code is "Hold in Bootstrap Detected", does anyone know exactly what this means? I can cycle the power sometimes and get it clear and sometimes I have to cycle the power several times. This gets to be a pain when having to wait 45 seconds every time for the battery power shutdown; and besides that, cycling the power is not the correct solution. And to add pain to misery, it doesn't happen every start up. I have the latest software update installed, . I'm afraid I'll get somewhere and won't be able to get them alive again, that would be interesting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !

Garmin G5 problem.jpg

FYI, you don't have to wait 45 seconds to power cycle the G5. You can hold the power button down for three seconds, and it should initiate a quick shutdown sequence.

I'm not familiar with the G5 error message, and it's not in the user or installation manual. What other devices are the G5s connected to? I wonder if it has to do with communication with devices connected to the G5. Have you contacted Garmin?

What software versions are you running? I’d be loading different versions, either newer or older, to see if it goes away

What software versions are you running? I’d be loading different versions, either newer or older, to see if it goes away
I'm unaware of a way to load an older version. Is there a way?

I'm running the 6.72 software but I'm with Salty on the old software issue. I was under the impression as to when you went to the Garmin site and downloaded the newer version it would overwrite the old version.

At Chemgeek- thanks for the tip on shutdown, I knew that but had forgotten all about it. And, yes I spoke with Garmin, they recommended re-installing the software and if that doesn't work to buy a new sim card and reinstall the software again. Then, if that doesn't work Garmin suggested I take it to a Garmin dealer and pay them a half hour of their time and have them install the software. He mentioned that if you ever get a message that is not in the troubleshooting section that it is almost always a software problem of some sort; especially if it has the word "boot" in it.

I'm not sure how you can convince the unit to load an earlier version of software, unless there is some magic keypress sequence. The G5 is supposed to install a new software image only if the version in the loaded microSD card is newer than the one currently installed. I haven't tried re-installing the same version again. I assume you have installed the same version on both G5s and have removed the microSD card from the card slot? I suppose it is possible that the installed image got corrupted somehow? But how to reinstall the same image? There must be a magic key sequence to force the installation of the version loaded in the SD card.

Maybe that “magic key sequence “ is where the 1/2 hour at the Garmin dealer comes in to play ?? ;)

Back