G5 broke, can I (owner) swap it?

The actual physical work connecting hoses to instruments, filters, etc. in the pitot static system is nothing magic or complex in the least...just uncomfortable due to location usually. Working under my A&P, I've done the filters (cartridge and foam sleeve) on a couple Cherokees, replaced a vac pump, and replaced an airspeed indicator which required rerouting hoses and reconfiguring an improperly done "T" branch in the line. The system is one of those things that sounds like voodoo until you look at it and put your hands on it. Once you do, it's amazing how simple it really is. That's true of MANY things on an airplane. Even avionics are just really "connect the dots" with wires, pins, and connectors...there's just a buttload of "dots," and you have to be careful, have patience, and do it right.
Once it's done and your A&P inspects your work and signs off on it, a leak test isn't that expensive at an avionics shop, nor is it a time consuming or difficult process, usually.

Just my recent personal experience,
Thx for the info

Better to go read the rules yourself.
So question, part 43 appendix A, c(preventive) and (21) replacing any hose connection except hydraulic connections.

wonder what pitot static use for the connection. Is that called tubing? What’s difference between hose and tubing.

So you don't have the instructions available to you? That is a barrier too, although I assume you'd get the install instructions with the unit.

I would be amazed if a critical system like the pitot was a hand plug in connector unless it is electrical. There are too many ways for that to come disconnected.

The FAA has given limited authority for certain non TSO systems to be installed, but it is not a blanket authorization. Installing a non-TSO version of a system in place of a TSO certified system is certainly out.

total bs for a part 91 airplane there are only a couple of things that must meet a tso

Last edited:
Better to go read the rules yourself.
I don't need to since I fly Experimental. If I did have such a certificated question, I'd just call FSDO to them and avoid this kind of mental masturbation.

I don't need to since I fly Experimental. If I did have such a certificated question, I'd just call FSDO to them and avoid this kind of mental masturbation.

Not saying don’t call them, they usually are trying to be very helpful. But the “Trust but verify” statement applies. I have on at least two occasions had them give wrong advice.” Not dangerous, but mostly making up rules that don’t exist. Like the well discussed “only TSO’ed equipment can be installed in certified aircraft.”

You said you had to hook up the pitot system. Is that a tray mounted connector? I thought it required a wrench.

Regardless, you cannot use experimental equipment in a certified aircraft.
I thought it was successfully argued that we can use “experimental” avionics in certified aircraft. The whole “KX-170 never had a TSO” thing and only needs to meet TSO, but not have one. My AP/IA just told me to go install an experimental radio that he is fine with.

Bottom line: does you log have the serial number of the old unit? If so, swapping it out would require a little finesse. But how much would labor cost? $150? Geez, pay for it.

You can remove and install your G5 if you are working under the supervision of a licensed mechanic or certified repair station. The pitot static needs to be tested for leaks and a log entry is required...if you are trying to be legal. I knew a guy who installed fog lights on the cowling of his Mooney..the IA removed them during annual inspection every year...the were put back by the owner every year :).

Back