G5 battery

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I just got my G5 installed (after my primary AI failed). I'm reading the manual and came across this:
If these guidelines are not followed, the lithium-ion battery may experience a shortened life span or may present a risk of damage to the device, fire, chemical burn, electrolyte leak, and/or injury
. . .
For maximum battery longevity, store within a temperature range of -4˚F to 68˚F (from -20˚C to 20˚C).

We might have a few days a year that get into that range, but most of the time we are above that. So I wonder how long my G5 battery will actually last? Or how long before it catches fire?

Otherwise, I am excited and waiting until I get to fly with it.

If I fly 3 hours a week, then isn’t it stored the rest of the time? In a hot hangar.
When I hear the word "stored" I think being not in service and stored off of the unit... If it couldn't be in the plane over 68F then there is no way it would pass certification..

When I hear the word "stored" I think being not in service and stored off of the unit... If it couldn't be in the plane over 68F then there is no way it would pass certification..
It’s the lawyers.....

Me too,
but,
What's the difference?

In this context it doesn’t matter if it’s in the plane or on a shelf in a warehouse. If you keep the battery in temperature controlled conditions it will last longer. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be ruined if you don’t. It’ll just become less efficient sooner.

They put that in there just to see if anyone reads the paperwork they generate lol.

It is a lithium ion so basically all the standard rules apply.

Not a ton of things you can do that make economic sense, aside from ensuring that it stays charged, i.e. that it's powered correctly.

You're not going to air condition your hangar for a battery...

Back