G430w no VOR indication, but GPS and LOG/GS work

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
So our 430 has developed an interesting failure. The CDI works in self test, GPS, and Localizer mode just fine. When I dial in a VOR frequency though it does not indicate any info on the CDI. The VOR/LOC audio is received fine when I listen to the NAV portion of the 430.

LOC Reception
IMG_1608.JPG

VOR Reception
IMG_1609.JPG

Aside from sending it to Garmin, does anyone have a suggestion as to what to check?

PEBSAY error. :D

Check the wire connections and reseat the unit???

Fond someone else with the same unit and swap them and see if the problem follows the 430 or the plane.

I know you mention the CDI works in startup, but does the OBS match up, and does it change as you rotate it? Might just not be reading the OBS for some reason and can't decode what the indication should be to drive the needles. It looks like the needle is driving on a LOC frequency (your 108.35 picture) but not when on VOR (112.80), which might indicate the OBS issue.

OBS works. Checked it both on the setup mode, as well as in GPS OBS mode.

VOR? Never heard of her ;)

PEBSAY error. :D

Check the wire connections and reseat the unit???
^ that.

Or like someone else said, slide in someone elses 430 and see if it still acts funny.

My guess would be something on the tray/airplane side of the system.

Pete:

You accomplished pretty much all of the in-plane troubleshooting I could recommend, including testing operation at the self-test, with a localizer and (and this is the big one) verifying proper operation in OBS mode.

Based upon all of that, we can conclude the following:

1. The indicator's resolver is working properly, and communicating properly with the 430, because you can get the proper indication using OBS mode;
2. The 430 is driving the indicator's left-right needle properly, because you're getting proper indications when flying on a localizer, and because you are getting the proper indications on the self-test at startup.

Based upon the foregoing, I sincerely doubt the problem could reside in your GI106 indicator, and it probably is not in a connector, either; rather, there is a problem internal to the 430 with processing the signal from the VOR.

A couple of more stupid questions, but worth asking:

When you tune in a VOR station (which you have done, including listening to the identifier), does the NAV flag go out of you? And, you're not tuned in to a VOR, but the 430 is in VLOC mode, does the NAV Flag show?

Check NOTAMS, selected VOR is probably out of service.

Pete:

You accomplished pretty much all of the in-plane troubleshooting I could recommend, including testing operation at the self-test, with a localizer and (and this is the big one) verifying proper operation in OBS mode.

Based upon all of that, we can conclude the following:

1. The indicator's resolver is working properly, and communicating properly with the 430, because you can get the proper indication using OBS mode;
2. The 430 is driving the indicator's left-right needle properly, because you're getting proper indications when flying on a localizer, and because you are getting the proper indications on the self-test at startup.

Based upon the foregoing, I sincerely doubt the problem could reside in your GI106 indicator, and it probably is not in a connector, either; rather, there is a problem internal to the 430 with processing the signal from the VOR.

A couple of more stupid questions, but worth asking:

When you tune in a VOR station (which you have done, including listening to the identifier), does the NAV flag go out of you? And, you're not tuned in to a VOR, but the 430 is in VLOC mode, does the NAV Flag show?

Yeah I am considering swapping out units between the 182RG and the Archer. That would be a pretty good test of the box itself.

In VOR mode I get no Nav indication (TO/FROM) So I am starting to suspect something on the nav board in the 430 went out. It is receiving the audio signal, but it is doing nothing with the VOR signal. The interesting bit is that the LOC signal works. I do understand that the VOR and LOC use two very different methods of generating the course offset, but that does narrow it down a bit in waht may be wrong.

Also the damn VOR is NOT NOTAMED out.

This is a novel idea, take it to a good avionics shop and let diagnose the problem.

Hey you guys want to buy a 430w? I might go get an Avidyne unit

Is it just me or is the OBS set on the wrong heading? It has a message light. If you press the msg button what is the message?

Had a comm board issue come up on mine. Swapping it into a known good airplane confirmed it was the unit (vs a wiring or antenna issue). Finally bit the bullet and sent it in to Garmin in February. Comm board, screen, and internal battery were all replaced, which softened the hit a little bit.

I know its not apples and apples, but. I have a Narco MK-12 D/R, the CDI was not working well. I removed it to install a different CDI. Well the replacement was not the same as installed. I reinstalled the original to check compatibility of the replacement. I flew yesterday and the CDI performed well. I guess reseating the connection fixed the issue.

Is it just me or is the OBS set on the wrong heading? It has a message light. If you press the msg button what is the message?

I had the same thought initially, but it is in VLOC mode. As far as I know, there will be no messages for bearing/desired track mismatches.

Short of trying a different unit to determine if the problem is inside or outside the box, I think this one is headed to an avionics shop or Garmin for further testing.

Yeah I know the OBS heading isn't set correctly. When I took the pick I had been messing with the OBS for a while already. Even then it shouldn't be centered. Message in the 430 was unrelated to the VOR issues (Fuel tank switch alert IIRC).

I am leaning towards some sort of board level failure in the VOR circuits being the cause.

Pete:

Based upon all of that, we can conclude the following:?

Thank the holy St. Potluck, somebody that has a CLUE about troubleshooting. EXACTLY the right questions.

Or maybe it a bad ground, or you need to clean the connectors, or the antenna may be "bad" (whatever the hell that means) or the moon may be the problem, or you didn't offer a sacrifice to the Orville god or ...

Why don't y'all just let somebody like this that knows what they are doing answer rather than give a rectorandom answer?

Jim

Of course, my favorite troubleshooting method was already mentioned - Swap with a good unit, and see whether the problem follows the plane or the 430. And since we have another 430W in another plane, that's not too difficult. @vontresc did you try that yet?

So any gotchas to swapping one 430 for another 430???

(31) Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, and operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

And please provide useful answers ;-)

I'd go in to the configuration mode (hold down ENT while powering up), and make sure to take pictures of every page. You'll need to set the new unit to match if you are going to permanently swap them (also good to have if you end up sending it in to Garmin, you can make sure settings are correct after repair). If you are just going to do a quick test that you can receive a VOR signal, you don't necessarily need to configure the other 430 to match yours as I don't believe there are any settings that could smoke another piece of equipment, but certainly things wouldn't be 100% working if you don't (assuming you have anything hooked up over RS232 or 429).

Mine started doing that just after I had the Stratus ESG in. I talked to my shop. We pulled the unit, cleaned the pins, and reinstalled the unit. It’s been working ever since. I think that either something got bumped when they put the Stratus in, or not flying it for a few weeks with it sitting outside, pushed it over the corrosion edge.

It’s worth a try to just slide it out, slide it back in, and make sure it’s properly seated.

Gary

Back