G430 Unpublished Hold with Auto-Pilot Settings

USAF-LT-G

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
USAF-LT-G
I saw another thread on this topic from a while ago, but it didn't exactly answer the question I was looking for.

Scenario: You're flying along on a GPS loaded FPL, and ATC wants you to jot down an unpublished hold due to weather across the area you're trying to enter. You're coming from the west flying on a 90 heading currently. Your Auto-Pilot is set for NAV currently, but also has GPSS and HDG capabilities.

Controller: Hold Northeast of the Wialliamsport VOR (FQM) on a 039, left turns.

FQM is already a waypoint in you GPS, some 30NM from you at the moment. Do you:

1. direct to FQM first, then hit the OBS button on the 430, dial in 039, and the plane will cross the fix from the southwest and setup for the reciprocal 039 heading of 219? No modifications to the A/P necessary except (still on NAV) that after you cross the fix you have to put it to HDG mode and dial in your 1 minute turns?

2. direct to FQM first, hit the OBS, dial in 039, and the plane will cross the fix on a HEADING of 039, at which point you would then switch the A/P to HDG, start your timer, etc?

3. Direct to FQM first, hit the OBS, dial in 039, and then change the A/P setting from NAV to HDG or GPSS.

Trying to figure out how to do this the most effectively, with as few button pushes / steps. I realize the 430 will not draw an unpublished race-track for you.... just trying to figure out the sequencing.

OK, here is my take, maybe not the most elegant (Sounds like a good IPC exercise):
  1. Fly direct FQM according to flight plant using GPSS
  2. Before reaching FQM, ensure the heading bug is set to current heading, disable GPSS, and enable HDG mode
  3. Hit OBS before reaching FQM (to prevent messing up your FPL sequencing) and set your CDI/HSI to the inbound course, 219
  4. After crossing FQM, turn heading bug to 069 to fly the teardrop entry and monitor time or distance from FQM, as preferred
  5. Turn heading bug to 249 to track back to the inbound course
  6. When the CDI/HSI starts to center, turn heading bug to 219 and track inbound. (or whatever the appropriate reference heading is to hold track.)
  7. Then round and round as necessary, using the heading bug.
Or just hand-fly the hold with the AP temporarily disabled. With the moving map in front of you, it should be easier to visualize how you are doing. I'm sure there is a way to add a temporary inbound course to FQM in the GPS box, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth to make a couple spins around the hold before proceeding back on course.

1. direct to FQM first, then hit the OBS button on the 430, dial in 039, and the plane will cross the fix from the southwest and setup for the reciprocal 039 heading of 219? No modifications to the A/P necessary except (still on NAV) that after you cross the fix you have to put it to HDG mode and dial in your 1 minute turns?

2. direct to FQM first, hit the OBS, dial in 039, and the plane will cross the fix on a HEADING of 039, at which point you would then switch the A/P to HDG, start your timer, etc?

3. Direct to FQM first, hit the OBS, dial in 039, and then change the A/P setting from NAV to HDG or GPSS.

I'm not sure that any of these options will give you the desired result. If you go Direct to FQM, then do OBS and dial in 039 - In NAV mode it's going to attempt to set up an intercept to the R-039, with unpredictable results - In GPSS mode it's probably going to try to do the same thing. Either way it's going to turn, which is not what you want.

What I would do is just go direct to FQM in GPSS mode. Press OBS, but don't change the CDI from the direct inbound course. Once crossing the fix, put the autopilot in HDG mode and start the entry using the heading bug. Then, spin the CDI to 219 and continue heading bugging around.

Then once you're told to continue, press OBS to unsuspend and put the autopilot back in GPSS mode.

I'm not sure that any of these options will give you the desired result. If you go Direct to FQM, then do OBS and dial in 039 - In NAV mode it's going to attempt to set up an intercept to the R-039, with unpredictable results - In GPSS mode it's probably going to try to do the same thing. Either way it's going to turn, which is not what you want.

What I would do is just go direct to FQM in GPSS mode. Press OBS, but don't change the CDI from the direct inbound course. Once crossing the fix, put the autopilot in HDG mode and start the entry using the heading bug. Then, spin the CDI to 219 and continue heading bugging around.

Then once you're told to continue, press OBS to unsuspend and put the autopilot back in GPSS mode.

Ok thanks. Bummer.... that's essentially what I've been doing, but it seemed like there must be an easier way. I was hoping to at least find a more automated way to setup the for the inbound leg, but sounds like that's a negative. No worries. Was just trying to see if someone had a better way of doing some finagling.

Gary, Very interesting! I have a GNS 530W and have been toying with replacing it with either the GTN or IFD. Here is another point in the GTN column. Thanks!

Gary, Very interesting! I have a GNS 530W and have been toying with replacing it with either the GTN or IFD. Here is another point in the GTN column. Thanks!

Have you installed a flight stream 210? Paired with Foreflight it really ups the game in the 430/530.

I had that stack in my Sundowner and debonair, I was happy with the connectivity. Working with the Garmin 480 in my Commander.

Back