G430 approach modes

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
The other day I flew a practice RNAV approach with a G430, and perhaps because I haven't used the G430 in some time I'm assuming I forgot something...

I selected and activated the approach. On the way to the IAF the 430 stayed in the terminal mode, once established on the approach it went to the approach mode where it stayed to the MAP. I was expecting it to tell me which approach mode it's using (LPV, LNAV, ect...), yet the only thing it said was "APR."

What am I missing?

Thanks

Non-waas 430?
It will just say apr. You are expected to know which approach you are using and it would be lnav only.

Yes, you're right, no WAAS. This explains it.

Thanks

it was a Garmin 430A

I know it was one of the first 430s to come out, so it could have been the A model.

But how did you come with this conclusion? Do the later models tell you that you're flying LNAV when it's without WAAS? If that's the case then I can understand why the first version would have only one approach mode, this would also explain why I was so confused by it.

I know it was one of the first 430s to come out, so it could have been the A model.

But how did you come with this conclusion? Do the later models tell you that you're flying LNAV when it's without WAAS? If that's the case then I can understand why the first version would have only one approach mode, this would also explain why I was so confused by it.

This has nothing to do with the vintage of the non WAAS GNS430. The GNS430A is a GNS430 with a 16 watt Com unit instead of the standard 10 watt unit. Unless the commenter knows the airplane, how would he know if the Com unit was a 10 watt or 16 watt system?

Back