G3X Touch v. Dynon Skyview - anyone with installation experience on both?

lolachampcar

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
lolachampcar
I've used Skyview in the past and have always been impressed with the level of integration (low component count) and weight. Customer support has always been good on both the warranty/repair side and on the technical support for non-standard installations. Subscription free data is a plus.

I have an application now where at least one of the planes will be sold. I'm being encouraged to use the G3X Touch in place of Skyview because "everyone knows" and prefers Garmin over some gimmicky Dynon stuff (their words, not mine).

Does anyone here have experience with installing, configuring and supporting both systems? This is a turbine application so the ability to deal with N1/N2 along with 500 Kts is needed. The installation is the usual front and rear big glass, ADS-B, Transponder, AP, Radios and IFR position source.

Thanks,
Bill

No experience with Dynon. My G3X Touch has the engine package, remote comm and txp, ADS-B, and 2 axis AP. It has more wires and connector pins than I could have imagined. The face of the system is simple but there’s a lot going on behind it. Probably my biggest surprise is how many breakers it requires. I know guys are using Vertical Power these days but I stayed with breakers.

62903111-55D7-411E-8B90-A01569450910.jpeg

I'm installing G3X in the RV-10. There are a lot of components which need to be mounted somewhere with many interconnections made. My sense is that Dynon is less complicated on that front.

Last edited:
Me wrapping up the component shelf that resides behind the panel. The txp hangs underneath. Yep, lots of components, and you can’t see the magnetometer that installs out in the wing. Does the Skyview have similar components? One thing I know is that I much prefer Garmin’s topo map and synthetic vision appearance. And it talks to my iDevices and Garmin Pilot. I’m sure the Dynon has strengths, too. I hope somebody speaks to the original question about the comparison.

upload_2018-4-14_8-5-45.jpeg

Dynon has the following components/elements apart from user interface stuff-
Trigg Txp unit
EMS (engine monitoring)
ADAHARs
ADSB receiver
Two servos for pitch and roll

You can use a remote magnetometer if you like but I've simply used the one in the ADAHARs on other installations.

Back