G3X over the dual G5....what value?

Unit74

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Unit74
Is there any functionality increase of the G3X over a pair of G5’s as far as navigation goes? Not talking about engine monitoring, because I already have an EDM830 I’m very happy with.

Why buy the X over the Gs?

There is hardly a comparison between the G3X and the G5’s. The G5’s are a basic EFIS and HSI, and only primary for attitude and DG/HSI. The G3X is primary for all flight instrument functions, has synthetic vision, moving map, traffic and weather options, AOA optional, remote transponder control, Com control, etc.

Functionality probably not much, but usability of the g3x is a lot more advanced. Things like nav boxes that make it super easy to follow a glideslope. Pointers and distance to the nearest airport. Synthetic vision. Stuff that there's just not enough room to put on a G5.

0B6F2A5A-6F34-404B-9E5B-C43CA2756194.jpeg

Last edited:
There is hardly a comparison between the G3X and the G5’s. The G5’s are a basic EFIS and HSI, and only primary for attitude and DG/HSI. The G3X is primary for all flight instrument functions, has synthetic vision, moving map, traffic and weather options, AOA optional, remote transponder control, Com control, etc.

Adding to Jesse’s comments, installation is a factor as the G3x needs a needs a new panel, where the G5 fits in existing round holes. The G3x is in a different league for co-located flight content and integration with other flight instruments. IMHO it’s an available budget argument rather than function.

To Jesse’s point I’ve seen many buyer gloss over the fact G5’s are only certified as primary for attitude or turn coordination.

G3x will add more value to the aircraft for resale.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Would you still have to do a G5 if you wanted a GFC500 and does it allow for vac removal?

Keep in mind the G3X Touch is enjoying pent-up demand created by it's popularity in experimentals. Mine controls a remote comm and txp, a 2-axis autopilot, has full ADS-B, and also does engine montoring, syn vis, nav, charts, terrain, obstacles, etc. Toggling between screens and functions is simple. I love mine. When I considered adding a G5 as a backup? It doesn't do anything my iPhone with Garmin Pilot doesn't do, so I use my iPhone.

Adding to Jesse’s comments, installation is a factor as the G3x needs a needs a new panel, where the G5 fits in existing round holes. The G3x is in a different league for co-located flight content and integration with other flight instruments. IMHO it’s an available budget argument rather than function.

To Jesse’s point I’ve seen many buyer gloss over the fact G5’s are only certified as primary for attitude or turn coordination.

G3x will add more value to the aircraft for resale.

7” require a new cut panel as well?

Not on purpose......can’t they just cut a hole or would it have to be a new sheet of metal?
Most likely it's not that simple. You have to have the structure to support all the instruments installed. Others here with more experience can elaborate.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Would you still have to do a G5 if you wanted a GFC500 and does it allow for vac removal?

If you wanted to do a vacuum delete and have no steam standby's you would add a G5. However, the G3X can support the GFC500 without a G5.

I looked at both options when redoing my panel. What steered me to the G3x is that doing the 10+7" screens with the engine monitor was within a couple grand of doing dual G5s and an EDM 930. If you are going to add/replace an engine monitor, the G3x solution really becomes practical.

I looked at both options when redoing my panel. What steered me to the G3x is that doing the 10+7" screens with the engine monitor was within a couple grand of doing dual G5s and an EDM 930. If you are going to add/replace an engine monitor, the G3x solution really becomes practical.
Yeah, I put in an EDM last year, so now the price of a G3x is a bitter pill to swallow for me. :( I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger on something everything would change.

I'd prefer the G3X over the dual G5s. Size, clarity and functionality. I'd still like to see a higher screen vs plastic percentage (not as bad on the 10"). The G3X was really an upgraded 696 that panel mounted. It could probably use an external redesign.

Is there any functionality increase of the G3X over a pair of G5’s as far as navigation goes? Not talking about engine monitoring, because I already have an EDM830 I’m very happy with.

Why buy the X over the Gs?

Well, you get the highway in the sky thing, which is nice.

Thanks.

Dual G5s allows for vac removal.

Keep in mind the G3X Touch is enjoying pent-up demand created by it's popularity in experimentals. Mine controls a remote comm and txp, a 2-axis autopilot, has full ADS-B, and also does engine montoring, syn vis, nav, charts, terrain, obstacles, etc. Toggling between screens and functions is simple. I love mine. When I considered adding a G5 as a backup? It doesn't do anything my iPhone with Garmin Pilot doesn't do, so I use my iPhone.

You need the G5 backup to remove the vacuum.

Yeah, I put in an EDM last year, so now the price of a G3x is a bitter pill to swallow for me. :( I knew as soon as I pulled the trigger on something everything would change.

Just go dual G5 then.

Seriously, putting the feature list of the G3X next to the G5’s is like comparing an iPad to an iPod Nano, if they still made that.

I’d like to see a G3X vs TXI comparison:
Features
Connectivity, what supports what. I heard G3X doesn’t support GDL8Xs for example.
Installation differences that impact costs.

Tom

Features
Connectivity, what supports what. I heard G3X doesn’t support GDL8Xs for example.
I would like to see that too. I wonder if Garmin has that somewhere.

We installed dual G5’s and pulled out two vacuum pumps and all the associated “stuff”. Was good from a simplification perspective!

Now the monkey wrench....... What if it's only the 7" G3x? Change anyones perspective?

I would consider a G3X but the wiring needs scares the bejesus out of me.
Maybe I am wrong but it seems nightmarish to me!
Is it common for owners to do this themselves?
(I'm not asking about legality, I'm asking if people feel comfortable dealing with a rats nest of wires hoping they all get connected to the right place and properly done)
Or maybe people just drop it off at the shop and come back in 2 months.
How many connections must be made??

(I'm not asking about legality, I'm asking if people feel comfortable dealing with a rats nest of wires hoping they all get connected to the right place and properly done)
Or maybe people just drop it off at the shop and come back in 2 months.
How many connections must be made??

Not sure if I’d trust the shop any more than my own work... I’ve seen a lot of crap come out of “certified” shops, unfortunately.

Lemme ask this question.......

You can only go with one of these scenarios:

1. 10” Garmin G3X, ties into a 2 axis Century AP that works great -right now.
2. 7” Garmin G3X and in two years, a 2 axis GFC 500.
3. Aspen E5 and a Trutrak Vizion.

You can only do one of these options. Period. Money is in your pocket right now to spend, but only one option is avail.

I don't see why 1 can't turn into 2 with the 10". The price delta isn't that much.

Yeah, I put in an EDM last year, so now the price of a G3x is a bitter pill to swallow for me. :(
Just go dual G5 then.

Or do the G3X without the engine monitoring. It's not included in the base G3X, it's an add-on. If you like the EDM, keep the EDM. It doesn't contraindicate a G3X.

Features
I would like to see that too. I wonder if Garmin has that somewhere.

Here's what I posted in the BeechTalk thread that was linked to - I haven't seen a better comparison of the G500 TXi and G3X Touch than the one I put together! :eek:

The following things are present on the TXi that are not on the G3X Touch:
  • Twin engine support
  • Pilot/Copilot PFD installations
  • HSI map
  • More modern hardware and a nicer screen - Display technology is rapidly evolving, and the G3X Touch is already 5 years old.
  • Additional third-party I/O. They showed only the GAD 29B as an option here, not the GAD 43e, so the interfacing options of the G3X Touch are similar to the G5 rather than similar to the TXi.
  • Database Concierge
  • Remote audio panel support
  • Non-Garmin attitude-based autopilot support
  • 3rd-party Nav radio support on the on-screen HSI.
  • Airborne weather radar support (not datalink, but actual radar like the BendixKing RDR-2000 and Garmin GWX series)
  • Support for the GDL 69A, GDL 88, and GSR 56 datalinks
  • Many more display configurations - Only four are certified on the G3X Touch, while something like 28 are certified on the TXi.
  • Real time EIS data streaming through FS510 to an iPad
The following are present on the G3X Touch but not the TXi:
  • Direct support of the GFC 500. In a G3X+G5+GFC500 installation, losing the G5 will not take down the autopilot. In a TXi+G5+GFC500 install, losing the G5 takes down the autopilot.
  • More numeric values displayed on the EIS.

Now the monkey wrench....... What if it's only the 7" G3x? Change anyones perspective?

Depends what else is in the panel. For example, do you have a GTN 750? Well, then you probably don't need much in the way of an MFD.

Yes. Avionics upgrades look really scary and I'm glad I don't have to keep track of that many wires. It's kind of akin to going in for cosmetic surgery and having the surgeon remove and replace every single blood vessel in your body.

No.

You can only do one of these options. Period. Money is in your pocket right now to spend, but only one option is avail.

I'd probably go with #2. I'm not convinced Aspen is going to be around in 10 years, and TruTrak being bought by King means we can expect shoddy support and horribly overpriced parts, so #3 is out.

For #1, most Century autopilots are attitude-based and the G3X won't drive them. That means you either need to keep the Century AI (and keep overhauling it) or get the GFC 500. For long-term reliability, I'm looking to get rid of all of my mechanical spinny gyros, so the preference would be #2.

However, like another poster said - #1 allows for the possibility of a GFC 500 later, whether it's you or the next caretaker of your plane, so I certainly wouldn't eliminate that from consideration entirely.

Not sure if I’d trust the shop any more than my own work... I’ve seen a lot of crap come out of “certified” shops, unfortunately.
Wondering if the Fast Stack system have a solution to accommodate the G3X?

One thing about the G3x, especially if you do the 10+7 solution that I'm doing in both the Tiger and Bonanza, is that you eliminate the need for a 750 and can use a 650 instead, which saves as much or more than the G3x cost. I love the screen real estate of the 750, but you don't need that when the G3x acts as your MFD.

Because of shortage of panel space, I’d go with 2.
I want the control head of the AP right in front, ditto for my JPI, so that leaves a shortage of space for 10”. I have a panel mounted Aera 660, plus an ipad, so MFD functionality is not needed. I just. Want to replace 6 pack and navigation instruments. The ipad/aera combo allows me to do upgrades without touching the panel.

I haven’t seen both in person, I thought the displays were the same resolution?

Tom

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the G3X 10”? If you’re thinking about two G5’s those are running 5-6k for the G5’s alone. The G3X 7” I’ve see for around 5k and the G3X 10” for around 7-8k. Given the equipment price is similar, any idea about install costs for G5 vs the G3X?

Does anyone have experience with the G3X 10”? If you’re thinking about two G5’s those are running 5-6k for the G5’s alone. The G3X 7” I’ve see for around 5k and the G3X 10” for around 7-8k. Given the equipment price is similar, any idea about install costs for G5 vs the G3X?

You’ll need to add a G5 as a backup for the G3X anyway, so the real price for the G3X is 10-11k. Installation also much higher for G3X.

Bear in mind the price you quoted for the G3X looks like the displays (GDU) only. You have to add an ADAHR(s), OAT, and magnetometer plus other LRUs if you want full functionality. The G5 as an attitude indicator doesn’t have to have any additional LRUs.

When I considered adding a G5 as a backup? It doesn't do anything my iPhone with Garmin Pilot doesn't do, so I use my iPhone.

Couple of things the G5 buys you as a backup to the G3X (at least on the experimental side) is a backup ADAHRS (the G3X will display the G5s attitude info) and a backup autopilot controller if you are using Garmin GSA28 servos.

My Cub has a GDL39R for G3X ADS-B and a GDL39-3D for redundant ADHRS and everything else on my iDevice with Garmin Pilot, which I’d run whether there was a G5 or not. Enough is enough. Everybody has their own best compromise.

Last edited:
What would the difference be between G3X and G500?

Back