G1000 vs. G500txi

GSDpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
GSDpilot
I currently have a 1982 Cessna 182rg with a G500txi and Garmin 750. I am considering "upgrading" to a newer Turbo 182 with a WAAS G1000, but not the nxi version of the G1000. It seems the major difference is no flight stream in the G1000, along with a slower processor and lower screen resolution.

Does anybody have any experience with both systems? I realize the G500txi is meant to replace 6 packs in older airplanes, and maybe not an apples to apples comparison, but I am curious if this would be moving backwards as far as avionics goes? Flight Stream has been clunky, but I would miss being able to transfer flight plans from my iPad.

Any feedback from anybody who has used both would be greatly appreciated!!

There were some threads recently created by another poster that was weighing similar choices. You may use these as part of your research:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g1000-what-are-the-thoughts.130892/#post-3051090
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-which-plane-should-i-consider-threat.130982/
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g3x-vs-g500txi.131068/

I haven't flown a G1000 Cessna for a while now but I have recent experience with the G500, G500Txi, G1000, and G1000Txi. As far as I'm concerned, they all do similar functions and would basically consider them equal, at least from a pilot's perspective. The autopilot attached to each system is another story and should be considered.

I know I will be the outlier here but I'd weight a factory installed G1000 setup in a newer airframe as more favorable than a third party installed G500 in something older or even the same age. Most of the install jobs I've seen done leave a lot to be desired from my point of view. But there are some G1000 limitations that would tip the scale in the other direction as well.

There were some threads recently created by another poster that was weighing similar choices. You may use these as part of your research:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g1000-what-are-the-thoughts.130892/#post-3051090
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-which-plane-should-i-consider-threat.130982/
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/g3x-vs-g500txi.131068/

I haven't flown a G1000 Cessna for a while now but I have recent experience with the G500, G500Txi, G1000, and G1000Txi. As far as I'm concerned, they all do similar functions and would basically consider them equal, at least from a pilot's perspective. The autopilot attached to each system is another story and should be considered.

I know I will be the outlier here but I'd weight a factory installed G1000 setup in a newer airframe as more favorable than a third party installed G500 in something older or even the same age. Most of the install jobs I've seen done leave a lot to be desired from my point of view. But there are some G1000 limitations that would tip the scale in the other direction as well.
Thank you!

Take a look at the GX3 Touch in addition to the others. We just got our 182 back after major upgrade and it is amazing.

Feel free to reach out with questions.

A1340E72-3ED8-4EFC-BAC9-A727B99E33B3.jpeg

If you have to upgrade a g1000 to TXI its an all or nothing, costing currently $75k+.

Check if there is an upgrade route for the G1000.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

And (at least for the Diamond DA-40) the G1000 is not WAAS unless it’s been upgraded. Limits your possible approaches and requires IFR alternates to have non-GPS approaches.

I realize the G500txi is meant to replace 6 packs in older airplanes

Could that actually be a big advantage?

Here’s what I’ve read (not sure how universal it applies): For some G1000 planes, the owner cannot do much to change the avionics without the approval of the airframe mfg. That’s if the G1000 is deeply integrated to the airframe, in a way that 6-pack gauges are not. If the airframe mfg is uninterested or unmotivated to help the owner of a legacy plane upgrade avionics, or if it’s gone out of business, the airplane owner is out of luck - but not if the airplane has a 6-pack or something that replaced the 6-pack.

And (at least for the Diamond DA-40) the G1000 is not WAAS unless it’s been upgraded. Limits your possible approaches and requires IFR alternates to have non-GPS approaches.

Some were WAAS some weren’t. There is a lot of variance between the Diamond installations, even some significant ones in airplanes built in the same model year. It is important to check each airplane prior to purchase to make sure it has what you expect.

Could that actually be a big advantage?

Here’s what I’ve read (not sure how universal it applies): For some G1000 planes, the owner cannot do much to change the avionics without the approval of the airframe mfg. That’s if the G1000 is deeply integrated to the airframe, in a way that 6-pack gauges are not. If the airframe mfg is uninterested or unmotivated to help the owner of a legacy plane upgrade avionics, or if it’s gone out of business, the airplane owner is out of luck - but not if the airplane has a 6-pack or something that replaced the 6-pack.

As far as I know all G1000 installations are as you describe, integrated into the airframe. The OEM owns the software and they may or may not be interested in offering upgrades or improvements. It depends on what you’re after.

But an owner of a G1000 airplane is not necessarily out of luck, it should be able to be replaced with something different if desired. But doing so will likely come with a stiff bill.

As far as I know all G1000 installations are as you describe, integrated into the airframe. The OEM owns the software and they may or may not be interested in offering upgrades or improvements. It depends on what you’re after.

But an owner of a G1000 airplane is not necessarily out of luck, it should be able to be replaced with something different if desired. But doing so will likely come with a stiff bill.

The King Air, and many other retrofits are actually STCs owned by Garmin.

Most of the G1000 installed at the factory are owned by the plane manufacturer and usually are part of the type certificate.
That makes replacement under current rules very problematic without the help of the manufacturer.
Diamond just recently for the majority of the older G1000 fleet released upgrade paths. Not all options and configs are being supported so it can get expensive quick. Going forward it looks like Diamond at least is going with a simpler set of HW options, exactly for this reason.

Tim

The King Air, and many other retrofits are actually STCs owned by Garmin.

Most of the G1000 installed at the factory are owned by the plane manufacturer and usually are part of the type certificate.
That makes replacement under current rules very problematic without the help of the manufacturer.
Diamond just recently for the majority of the older G1000 fleet released upgrade paths. Not all options and configs are being supported so it can get expensive quick. Going forward it looks like Diamond at least is going with a simpler set of HW options, exactly for this reason.

Tim

Ive spoken at length with a friend of mine that does avionics for a living. Neither he nor I believe that replacement of a g1000 system would be as problematic as everyone purports it to be.

Expense is another discussion.

Ive spoken at length with a friend of mine that does avionics for a living. Neither he nor I believe that replacement of a g1000 system would be as problematic as everyone purports it to be.

Expense is another discussion.
The issue has always been regulatory for the G1000 installed as part of the Type Certificate combined with money.
For those installed G1000 installed under STC, the issue has always been money.

Tim

The issue has always been regulatory for the G1000 installed as part of the Type Certificate combined with money.
For those installed G1000 installed under STC, the issue has always been money.

Tim

Ok, which ones are installed under the type certificate?

Remember the initial post in this thread, we’re discussing piston Cessnas here.

Ok, which ones are installed under the type certificate?

Remember the initial post in this thread, we’re discussing piston Cessnas here.

That I do not know, because I never researched it, and I do not care enough to do so now :)

Tim

That I do not know, because I never researched it, and I do not care enough to do so now :)

Tim

My point is, I haven’t seen one that wasn’t STCd into the airframe, even if it was factory installed. There may be some, but I don’t know what they are either.

Back