G1000 Transistion

kjwalker01

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Keith
I recently finished an instrument rating in a traditional cockpit, but am finding rental options limited, as I'm seeing a lot of G1000 out there.

I initially did steam on the recommendation from people saying that it would be more difficult to transition back to steam from G1000. What about now, though? Is switching back and forth that difficult now that my IR is complete?

I recently finished an instrument rating in a traditional cockpit, but am finding rental options limited, as I'm seeing a lot of G1000 out there.

I initially did steam on the recommendation from people saying that it would be more difficult to transition back to steam from G1000. What about now, though? Is switching back and forth that difficult now that my IR is complete?

Shouldn't be that difficult of a transition, just download a G1000 sim to get used to how everything breaks down.

I recently transitioned from Avidyne glass cockpit (very simple implementation) to G1000 Perspective Avionics. It probably took me ~5 hours to be be functional in VFR and very basic IFR and about 50 hours to be 100% comfortable with it. A lot of it for me was retraining muscle memory of where my hand should go to interact with the avionics. They are pretty different in UI philosophy.

I did not have the additional learning step of getting used to the PFD presentation of information vs. the traditional 6 pack, as that was already familiar to me. I'm just talking about the programming and buttonology.

I flew IFR 22 years with steam and then transitioned to glass in 2012. The biggest challenge is the buttonology. Once you can comfortably find what you are looking for, the transition back and forth is easier. It did take me about 10 hours (I did not have a GPS either) to understand how to fly comfortably with the new hardware.

With almost 3 years under my belt with glass, I have no desire to go back. That said, a couple weeks back I did fly right seat with a friend in a steam only plane. Definitely simpler.

I think it is important to stay current on steam. Even the glass I fly with uses steam as the backup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The buttonology is similar to a 430/530.

The heading and altitude bugs are quite different and you MUST use the alt bug if you intend on using VNAV (and it's good practice).

The autopilot MAY be the same if it's an early G1000 (KAP140 was used in steam gauge 172SPs as well).

Get the sim. It's not free, but it's essentially required.

Speaking from the perspective of a VFR transition only, I bought the simulator software from Garmin (it cost $15 or somewhere around that range) and the introductory course at http://www.garmin1000.com/. After playing with the Garmin software for about 10 hours, and doing the 5 hour transition training in a G-1000 aircraft mandated by the club, I was 95% there as far as buttonology and looking at the PFD instead of the sixpack.

Can't speak to the IFR aspects, though.

Last edited:
Get the simulator from garmin. Then after you get used to it, you won't want to fly fir without the g1000.

The only biggie is did your old plane have a 430/530? If it did, switching to the G1000 will be straightforward. If not, you have a lot of learning to do to get fully IFR capability out of that panel. You can still work the flight the old fashioned way simply dialing in frequencies, but that doesn't make great sense. There's a lot of features, and a really poor interface unless the owners have add the Flightstream 210; so there's a lot to learn. Luckily there are simulators and good instructional programs available to learn the system without wasting airplane time learning the buttonology to the boxes.

I wouldn't do it if I were you. It is super, super difficult going back and forth. Kind of like trying to work with an analog watch and then switching to reading the time on a digital clock and back again. That is incredibly difficult as well if not impossible. It takes me days to make the transition. I try to ignore time displays on microwaves and other newfangled stuff like that and just stick to my watch. Much simpler! Real men prefer analog anyway.

I did my IR in a steam gauge 172 with dual 430s. Yesterday I finished my IPC in an SR22 with their Cirrus Perspective avionics which is pretty much a G1000 with a few extra features. The buttonology will be the most difficult part and the scan will be a little different but I find it to be easier than the standard 6 pack. My advice would to get a G1000 simulator on your computer and mess around with in. Enter in flight plans, load approaches, and play around with it. Also, if your school will let you, plug the airpLane in and mess around with the avionics

I wouldn't do it if I were you. It is super, super difficult going back and forth. Kind of like trying to work with an analog watch and then switching to reading the time on a digital clock and back again. That is incredibly difficult as well if not impossible. It takes me days to make the transition. I try to ignore time displays on microwaves and other newfangled stuff like that and just stick to my watch. Much simpler! Real men prefer analog anyway.

The funny thing is without a sarcasm emoticon, one can't be sure around here.:rofl:

You're way beyond my techie skills. I use a Sun Dial for time, and hand the stone tablets to my secretary (not an Administrative Assistant) for entry into the computer thingy jiggy. It's not a Big Mac, it's one of them other ones that don't sound as appetizing.

I did the same, and it was harder than I expected. I did not have experience with an HSI, which is how the G1000 presents nav info (along with 2 RMIs). I recommend Max Trescsott's book, after going through that, I knew more than the CFI I flew with. Once I figured out my scan and learned the nuances of the AP, I like it. I like it a lot.

This video gives a good overview of the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0y6p0ct1m0

Last edited:
I bought the simulator software from Garmin (it cost $15 or somewhere around that range)
Double that price - with shipping it is slightly over $30, still worth the money.

from people saying that it would be more difficult to transition back to steam from G1000.
It's hard to go back to the dinosaur age. :D

Last edited:
Back