G1000 training

WoooPigSooie

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
WoooPigSooie
Does anyone have a good training source they'd recommend for the G1000? I'm taking a couple of flights with a local school here to get signed off on the DA40.

I looked around for free downloads, which is how I mostly learned the 430w in our 172, but it seems there are only pay courses available and that's fine.

So I'm looking for shared experiences with the different ones out there. TIA.

It's my course so I'm clearly biased, but take a look at the G1000 course at www.Garmin1000.com. It's multimedia-based, costs just $47, and has a full money-back guarantee of satisfaction.

The course runs in Adobe flash. It will run in both Windows and Mac, but not on iPads.

Make a whole bunch of flights, with changes, re routes, etc., using the Garmin sim.

It has a few bugs, not many. Like no FLCH. It works best with two monitors.

The iPad app requires a separate sim for the MFD. in flight, you do use both when possible. The inset feature isn't nearly as good. The reviews on the MFD sim aren't so good.

LNAV is a lot like a 430. VNAV, especially using the autopilot, is not. Use the alt bug for everything and don't ever get behind the airplane.....

Last edited:
You can download user guides for free on the Garmin website. I just got checked out to instruct in our schools G1000 flight. Luckily the students are primary students so they won't (shouldn't) focus on it. Also ask the school if you can just sit with the airplane and play with the G1000 to get familiar with it.. Does the Diamond have a GPU?

Last edited:
The sim is just a sim, not a training system. It's very useful as a training aid as part of a good training program, but won't teach you much by itself. Same for the manuals -- good reference material, but not a training system. Max Trescott's G1000 training materials have an excellent reputation, although I've never used them myself.

Elite markets a full-cockpit G1000 sim (https://www.flyelite.com/faa-approved/advanced-atd/cessna-g1000/), which is a great training environment because it is possible for the instructor to create failure scenarios that cannot be done while training in an actual airplane. If you can get some sim time after playing with Garmin's G1000 PC simulator, you will find it valuable.

That said, there are serious bugs in the Elite implementation of the G700 autopilot. According to our local sim operator these have been going unrepaired for two or three years now. So just avoid training use of the AP and you will be fine.

Whatever you do make sure you also cover the failure modes and what each component will do when failed. Losing a single GPS while VFR; non-event. Losing the ADC, big pain in the butt (but hopefully a non-event as well if you trained right).

How do you lose the ADC in a G1000 without also losing the AHRS? I thought they were integrated.

Losing air data alone is not a huge PITA. That's what the standby altimeter and airspeed indicator are for. Now, it may be "fun" in IMC due to their location, but it's not a huge PITA all by itself.

How do you lose the ADC in a G1000 without also losing the AHRS? I thought they were integrated.

Losing air data alone is not a huge PITA. That's what the standby altimeter and airspeed indicator are for. Now, it may be "fun" in IMC due to their location, but it's not a huge PITA all by itself.
After learning on steam gauges for all my training the G1000 is an overload for me. When I was getting a checkout I told the instructor I need more round gauges:D. I'm sure its fantastic for IFR once you get a handle on the capabilities but for VFR it seems a bit of an overkill. Just my $.02

They aren't. And generally, they're on separate c/b's, too, which facilitates failing one at a time for training. It's the Aspen PFD which has them integrated in one ADAHRS device.

Agreed, but some folks find it a bit more difficult to spread their scan that far.

Interestingly, when I give an AHRS failure in a G1000, I find that most folks don't even look at the still-good ADC-driven tapes on the PFD, but just use the standby Altimeter and Airspeed next to the standby AI, and look only at the MFD for nav data. That cuts their scan area by about a third, which facilitates better scanning.

I thought they were integrated.
No, they are 2 separate boxes, I also have no clue why they would ever be integrated, they are responsible for very distinct functionalities.

They aren't. And generally, they're on separate c/b's, too, which facilitates failing one at a time for training. It's the Aspen PFD which has them integrated in one ADAHRS device.

OK, thanks.

I guess I'm getting my PFD's mixed up. I have somewhat more time on an Aspen Evolution than a G1000, though that's changing (I no longer have access to the Aspens, but I do have access to multiple G1000 182s).

After learning on steam gauges for all my training the G1000 is an overload for me. When I was getting a checkout I told the instructor I need more round gauges:D. I'm sure its fantastic for IFR once you get a handle on the capabilities but for VFR it seems a bit of an overkill. Just my $.02

Not just your two cents.

I did the G1000 transition because that's what CAP has. Visual searches are always done VFR. The G1000 comes with a real nice SAR package, but the older (cough cough) Apollo GX55s come with a slightly better one. The G1000 SAR is very similar to the one on Foreflight, but the GPS works a whole lot better (5m my behind -- more like 0.3 miles, measured last weekend against two other GPSs, and at only 1500 AGL).

We thought the G1000+GFC700 could be better for aerial photography due to the precision required, but when we tried it, we found they could be hand flown just as well. That requires a safety pilot, as it's a lot like instrument flight.

So, I can't find a real use for the G1000 VFR. Not even search and rescue. Some kind of GPS is essential for SAR, but it can be done with much more basic units.

I do see much value in IMC. But it's overkill if you can see out the windows.

Not just your two cents.

I did the G1000 transition because that's what CAP has. Visual searches are always done VFR. The G1000 comes with a real nice SAR package, but the older (cough cough) Apollo GX55s come with a slightly better one. The G1000 SAR is very similar to the one on Foreflight, but the GPS works a whole lot better (5m my behind -- more like 0.3 miles, measured last weekend against two other GPSs, and at only 1500 AGL).

We thought the G1000+GFC700 could be better for aerial photography due to the precision required, but when we tried it, we found they could be hand flown just as well. That requires a safety pilot, as it's a lot like instrument flight.

So, I can't find a real use for the G1000 VFR. Not even search and rescue. Some kind of GPS is essential for SAR, but it can be done with much more basic units.

I do see much value in IMC. But it's overkill if you can see out the windows.
I think it's problem when VFR students hop into a plane with a G1000. They are so amazed at what's inside that they forget they are VFR; VISUAL Flight Rules. I have a student who likes to constantly look inside so I cover the instruments with a binder and tell him he flies better without looking inside. I told him if he wants to look at the gauges I can buy him a poster to stick on his room wall:D. But I do enjoy the traffic alerts. That is the one thing I find very useful. Especially around FRG the alerts really help out.

I hate G1000 traffic alerts. I've gotten a number of warnings of close traffic at 6 o'clock, same altitude, in a steep turn. Yes, it alerted over my own tail.

FYI, you can get the same traffic in a Garmin 430W, though it seems not many folks get that turned on. I had a 430-equipped Warrior pop off in the pattern a few weeks ago.

I hate G1000 traffic alerts. I've gotten a number of warnings of close traffic at 6 o'clock, same altitude, in a steep turn. Yes, it alerted over my own tail.

FYI, you can get the same traffic in a Garmin 430W, though it seems not many folks get that turned on. I had a 430-equipped Warrior pop off in the pattern a few weeks ago.
Yea its happened to me too on steep turns. Yep I always have the 430 on the traffic page.

Back