G1000 Training.

Greg Bockelman

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Bockelman
Ok, laying it on the line here. I see the need for someone to teach Cessna G1000 theory, as in ground training, at the University level in my area. This is a two part question and the answer to both may be the same.

I have no knowledge of Cessna G1000 glass but am willing to learn. What training material should I get, to learn the stuff, and subsequently teach it? And part two, is what kind of stuff should the students get?

Yeah, yeah. Same answer to both.

I am looking at this from two angles. One to actually teach a college course, or two to offer tutoring.

Suggestions?

Max Trescott material? Seems to be highly rated.
King material? Good stuff, but come on, it is King. Martha anyone?
Anything else?

Most effective way to self teach this stuff?

And no, I do not have access to a G1000 plane.

Yeah, I know. Search is your friend, but sometimes it is cumbersome.

Last edited:
Max Prescotts stuff...

Greg if you could sit with a G-1000 for about 4 hours you would have the hang of it...I am a stone cold newbie and it took me about 10 horus flying to completely understand it...

Last edited:
Max be da man. I also suggest getting the appropriate Garmin Sim and setting it up on a big screen both for teaching purposes and for student practice or exam.

Never read any of Max's stuff, but I taught myself and teach other pilots and students by using the Garmin PC simulator and the Pilot Guide published by Garmin for the particular aircraft being used.

How big a screen? Also, which of Max's material?

I'd recommend his latest (3rd edition) G1000 book. At my FBO they run the simulator on a 46" HDTV driven by a PC. It puts both displays up side by side.

You might also "Train Like You Fly" as an instructor guide to do some scenario based training with the sim.

I'll add on to the accolades for Max. Also, contact Scott Denstaedt. He specializes in this sort of thing.

Wait. Stop. I'm shocked. Do you have one of the rare 195s that came without G1000?

Ok, laying it on the line here. I see the need for someone to teach Cessna G1000 theory, as in ground training, at the University level in my area. This is a two part question and the answer to both may be the same.

I have no knowledge of Cessna G1000 glass but am willing to learn. What training material should I get, to learn the stuff, and subsequently teach it? And part two, is what kind of stuff should the students get?

Yeah, yeah. Same answer to both.

I am looking at this from two angles. One to actually teach a college course, or two to offer tutoring.

Suggestions?

Max Trescott material? Seems to be highly rated.
King material? Good stuff, but come on, it is King. Martha anyone?
Anything else?

Most effective way to self teach this stuff?

And no, I do not have access to a G1000 plane.

Yeah, I know. Search is your friend, but sometimes it is cumbersome.

Ditto on Trescott's material, both the book and the software as tools. Also, another second on the Garmin sim software on large screen, dual monitors.

While you can get a good grip on the system in ten hours, to really learn how to use everything it has to offer, it's going to take a lot longer. There are so many features (tools) in that system that no one touches on. I don't even get the chance with them as the only students I currently have in glass are primary students. That doesn't even include the latest version which far exceeds what we have at the moment. But, instrument training will be a blast with the G-1000 resources.

The upgrade for us is going to be about $19,000 so that's on the plate for the end of the year or early next year. We do have the Frasca Mentor FTD with the G-1000 which helps tremendously in teaching the system without the potential risk of making the cockpit a classroom. It's an $80,000 system but has been an awesome asset for teaching, particularly with primary students who are effectively trying to learn to fly while also learning to use a computer.

Avoid the King software like the plague. We are forced to carry it as a Cessna Pilot Center and I push students away from it. It's a huge waste of money. If only King would hire Max to write their material!

I agree with Ken, the King material did nothing for me, and reading Max's book did everything for me. It's also nice to get very familiar with the cockpit reference guide, I'm pretty sure you can download it in PDF form from Garmin's site.

Yeah. Well, in order to do what I want to do, I would either have to teach groundschool, or flight instruct. Neither of which I can do effectively right now with current employment. What I am interested in doing is teaching a stand alone G1000 course, but they seem to not be that interested in that.

Yeah. Well, in order to do what I want to do, I would either have to teach groundschool, or flight instruct. Neither of which I can do effectively right now with current employment. What I am interested in doing is teaching a stand alone G1000 course, but they seem to not be that interested in that.

That's a surprise...that's what most flight schools with G1000 equipped airplanes are exactly looking for. :mad2:

Greg:

You could come to my fine flight school. You would have access to G-1ooo equipped airplanes, a full motion simulator using the G1000, a Cessna Fits Approved Instructor to learn from, a very useful and comprehensive computer-based learning module, and you could even stay at my house if you wish.

Scott

Back