G1000 Question - Beeping Noise

Skid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skid
So I finally decided to pay the extra money and hop in a G1000 172 to see what all the fuss was about for the last decade. I gotta say, I may have to give the 1970s cessnas and pipers a rest for awhile as I was very impressed.

It was a bit of information overload though, and I'm sure it'll take some time to practice and get fluid with everything. One thing stuck out to me that I forget what my instructor said it was. Upon initially starting there was this deafening beep that I had to take my headset off because it was so loud.

Was this some audible alert test that the system normally goes through for failures? Assuming it was, say there was a failure of some sort, would I just have to deal with my ears bleeding if it continually went off?

The plane also has a KAP140 autopilot so maybe related to that?

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I can't seem to find anything out there regarding it.

So I'm guessing it was just the disconnect tone? I don't know why it seemed so loud to me.

It's the AP only if it started as you hit the disconnect button. That's in the runup, not engine start checklist.

There is another really annoying noise when the PFD comes up with the MFD off or still initializing. Several redundant systems are not available, yielding a PFD alert. If you follow the checklist, this is very likely to happen during a normal engine start.

You can make it shut up immediately by pushing the lower right PFD soft key (which is red when that noise is going off). It will also shut up on its own when the MFD finishes initializing.

Agreed. G1000 makes some obnoxious noises. And you learn when to yank your headset off and how to shut them up.

You get a beeping noise from the G-1000 when you encounter headwinds that are strong enough to make your ground speed speed go negative.

You get a beeping noise from the G-1000 when you encounter headwinds that are strong enough to make your ground speed speed go negative.

LOL. I don't know honestly if you're kidding or serious (I'd honestly have to go look in my freaking two inch thick G1000 book to know for sure) but it does highlight something... a G1000 is a ridiculous avionics package for a 172. I mean seriously... so much video gaming for such a slow airplane that could be made a lot cheaper by not having all that stuff in the panel.

Half a million bucks for a spam can that'll be passed by cars on the Interstate. It's kinda sad really that "trainers" have come to this.

No worries. It'll blow your eardrums out in a new and different way than the spam cans of old. LOL. Won't be from lack of hearing protection or hundreds of hours in David Clark headclamps. Today it'll just be the A/P disconnect that'll cause long term hearing damage. Hahaha.

When you start up the kap140 beeps and flashes the barro - you have to set it. Then it beeps when you're 1000 ft from your planned altitude. It beeps once it's disengaged. It's beeping annoying. Once you fly a GFC700, you'll never want to deal with one again.
The GFC700 doesn't have the baro beep, but it does have the other two.

It also beeps when you're 200 feet off your altitude bug. Which sucks if you set the alt bug for TPA and you descend to land.

What the GFC700 does much better than the KAP140 is GPS coupled altitude. But the VNAV interface is complex as hell and has quite a number of bust buttons.

LOL. I don't know honestly if you're kidding or serious (I'd honestly have to go look in my freaking two inch thick G1000 book to know for sure) but it does highlight something... a G1000 is a ridiculous avionics package for a 172. I mean seriously... so much video gaming for such a slow airplane that could be made a lot cheaper by not having all that stuff in the panel.

Half a million bucks for a spam can that'll be passed by cars on the Interstate. It's kinda sad really that "trainers" have come to this.

No worries. It'll blow your eardrums out in a new and different way than the spam cans of old. LOL. Won't be from lack of hearing protection or hundreds of hours in David Clark headclamps. Today it'll just be the A/P disconnect that'll cause long term hearing damage. Hahaha.

I agree I can't believe how much new 172s cost...how ridiculous

Yeah, Cessna should offer the single engine piston line with round gauges, audio panel, one navcom, one IFR/GPS, an ADSB transponder and thats it.

Can you get one that way? Without all that G1000 stuff. Have to use it for hours before you are comfortable just tuning the radio. "Now what is it doing?"

I wonder how much it would save.

Yeah, Cessna should offer the single engine piston line with round gauges, audio panel, one navcom, one IFR/GPS, an ADSB transponder and thats it.

Can you get one that way? Without all that G1000 stuff. Have to use it for hours before you are comfortable just tuning the radio. "Now what is it doing?"

I wonder how much it would save.

Well, they kinda forayed into the Skycatcher trying to both ride the marketing wave of "LSAs will save aviation" and I'll give them credit for trying to lower costs via that project...

... but we all know how that turned out. Crushed the remaining ones.

So yeah, just as always, if they want to remain viable as a path to having new pilots flying their Sierra Hotel stuff they build later on, they need to figure out a way to build an affordable trainer to replace the "vintage" trainers. Some of these older aircraft will be flying a long time, but maintaining them continues to be a labor of love like a vintage car as they age.

The industry seems hell bent on destroying the way new pilots get INTO aviation overall. You simply can't cost justify it with half a million dollar new trainers. The numbers don't work to have a strong recreational aviation crowd feeding a smaller pro aviation crowd at the bottom end.*

* Without puppy mills and massive debt on the part of wanna be young pro aviators. WalMart style Aviation is doing "okay" at those prices.

Sadly with Tort law being what it is, and CAR 3 being what it is, I don't see a great way for the likes of Cessna to create a sub $300,000 trainer. Which is still insane price-wise, but a lot closer to do-able at the small flight school level.

Half a million bucks per unit is just too damn high of a capital investment in trainers.

Back